Thread: Announcing: The Great NES Trade-Up!!

Cherry (Level 1) eightbitonline's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Announcing: The Great NES Trade-Up!!

With the help and dedication of Doc Kaos of cgcc.com fame I've relaunched www.eightbitonline.com with a new layout! We're still working on a few things and I've got to transfer a lot of stuff from the old site over to the new format, but it's up and running for your enjoyment. read up now, 'cause if you know me you also know i'm fairly inconsistent when it comes to updating the site Wink

Anyways, I wanted to show you guys this: http://www.eightbitonline.com/features.php?FID=4
    the concept is basically just like www.oneredpaperclip.com but within the arena of video game collecting. I started it out in april at the Toronto Swap Meet. I've had some help from the Canadians at cgcc, and have just received my first mail-based trade!

What do you think? I don't really think that I'll ever really get to grail status; there is way too much of a value gap between quite rare ($100) and grail (+$500) in NES collecting. I may get to something like Flintstone's: Dinosaur Peak and hit the brick wall of comparable value. But I'd like to try just for the fun of tracking the lineage of the trades.

Anyways, everyone should feel free to participate! There's currently a copy of River City Ransom up for grabs if anyone needs it. The copy of Super Mario Bros. 2 is on hold (someone claims to be sending a copy of Golf Grand Slam complete for it, but it's taking a while).

Thanks for looking!

Insert Coin (Level 0) dougman999's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm surprised I hadn't heard of the red paper clip story before. It's a darn good read!

I guess probably the only thing I've got doubles of that can possibly trade for RCR is a PAL CIB Jurassic Park. lmk

Strawberry (Level 2) Mr.collection's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is a Maxi 15 really a rare game out of those 9 as it is on your site. Its a R7 and worth $30, but I still found mine in the wild .
    Feedback
    Don't think of me as a youngn' just a collector that learned his basics from a Pico.
    I just like that tingling feeling in my eyeballs when I play VB.
    I am looking for a Mini Neo Geo 2- slot 13".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never seen this before, but let me get this straight. You start out with Mario Bros. and work your way up to one of the nine rarest NES games. So basically you rip people off(but just a little bit each time) in a series of trades?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's a cool idea. The only thing is, after doing dozens of trades, you'll probably blow a bunch of money on packing materials, shipping fees, gas money to the post office, etc., it's almost be easier just to buy the game. But, if you get a grail game at the end, I guess it's worth it.

Strawberry (Level 2) mizarkgram's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont think he is doing this to rip off someone or end up with a grail in the end. Its being done (from how I understand it), just to be an accomplishment in the end, and to have some fun along the way (though ending up with a rare game would be great in the end)
    Feedback
    DP
    AA
    eBay

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cavein2000
    I've never seen this before, but let me get this straight. You start out with Mario Bros. and work your way up to one of the nine rarest NES games. So basically you rip people off(but just a little bit each time) in a series of trades?
    Well lets see

rip-off (rpôf, -f)
    n. Slang
    A theft.
    A thief.
    An act of exploitation.

Since people are trading willingly, I really don’t think the term rip off applies, if I trade him one of my doubles for a game I want, then I am actually getting something I want. Maybe I am then ripping him off no?. I guess its all perspective. Some people do it out of kindness (donate a good game for a not so great game). Some people have their hands gripped around there NES games and wouldn’t think of trading down OMFG that’s crazy!! . A lot of people think differently. People donate millions of dollars to charity I guess you wouldn’t say the charities are ripping people off would you? . Different people choose to do different things with their money and possessions.

I have a NES contra force I can trade you for one of your games to help you along your quest.

Send me a PM Dan we can work something out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me rephrase it - get the better end of a trade. Its a cool idea and all, didn't mean to knock it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, I get to participate in trades where I consistantly get the short end of the stick?

I'll pass. I had enough of that trading baseball cards with the bigger kids in the 80's.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I wish you the best of luck sir, I've been wanting to do the same thing for a while, but couldn't figure out a way to do it. And it looks like you are off to a great start!
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
    So, I get to participate in trades where I consistantly get the short end of the stick?

I'll pass. I had enough of that trading baseball cards with the bigger kids in the 80's.
    1) You'd participate in one trade along the way - unless you'd plan to fund the whole project yourself through trades. Can't take a hit on *one* deal?

2) Does this mean you've never gotten the "short end" on a trade before? I can't count the number of times I've taken a hit on a trade. Trading in this community is about making all involved parties happy with what they're getting, not about trying to get the upper-hand (or even even-hand in every deal).

Granted, this project is about getting the slight upper-hand in all deals, but it's being done in a fun, experimental project sort of way. Great idea and I hope it works out.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior

this (along with cavein2000's viewpoint) is the sort of thing i was worried about in this adventure. i certainly don't want to project that it's all about ripping people off, because it's not. i want every trade to be amicable for both parties.

there are a lot of people (myself included) who have been searching for one particular game for a long time, and the personal rarity of the game is higher than the actual rarity. i may have a game that someone's been searching for FOREVER, and they've got multiple copies of a game that's technically more rare but they see it around all the time. that would be a good way for me to get a good trade, as well as the other person being happy with what they got.

bottom line is i don't want to make any trades that would leave the other party sour about it (and i likely wouldn't be able to make those trades anyway). if you or anyone else thinks it's a bad idea and are worried that you'd get the short end of it, then you don't participate and i'm happy that you're happy.

tmlfan: you've got PM

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there are a lot of people (myself included) who have been searching for one particular game for a long time, and the personal rarity of the game is higher than the actual rarity.
    I agree with this statement. If it's a game that's brings you years of joy and satisfaction and nostalgia, then who cares if the game you trade away for it is worth $1-$5 more on the market? I mean c'mon, that's a cup of coffee at starbucks.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

damn i wanted a SMB2 cart and it looked to be in good shape.

oh well i'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now that DP is stable again I wanted to bump this thread and let everyone know that I've got a complete copy of Golf Grand Slam as well as a 5-screw version of Mario Bros. Arcade Classics for trade! You can click on my signature to find out what this adventure is all about, and view the progress of the trade-up!

Thanks!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Michiganfan2's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PM sent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts