Thread: New classic game store in Northeast (Boston area)

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default New classic game store in Northeast (Boston area)

Haven't visited yet. But sounds promising...and may beat the alternatives...

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/bu...ticleid=135036

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hot shit! Thanks so much for that link. I'm 15 minutes from this place. I'll have to head out there and write a report
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll vouch for that seller err store owner as i've bought from them on ebay
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Strawberry (Level 2) heyricochet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I drove by that place recently, I wasn't sure what it was exactly, but this is sweet!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

nice, I live about 45 minutes from that place. I hope they have better prices than the other classic game stores. All the other places want higher prices than what you can get them for on ebay. Plus they aren't all that friendly either. This place (game universe) is claiming to try to have the lowest prices. I'm gonna have to make a little trip over there sometime this week. Everybody leave any saturn games alone though, I wanna buy them

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666
    nice, I live about 45 minutes from that place. I hope they have better prices than the other classic game stores. All the other places want higher prices than what you can get them for on ebay. Plus they aren't all that friendly either. This place (game universe) is claiming to try to have the lowest prices. I'm gonna have to make a little trip over there sometime this week. Everybody leave any saturn games alone though, I wanna buy them
    That company is top notch in selection,price and Customer service
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stopped in today, store was empty except for the two employees. They were playing final fantasy music over the speakers. They have about 50 games for each system, except for sega cd/saturn, only like 20 each for them. Nothing for more of the obscure systems, just the standard fare, most obscure systems being sega cd, saturn, and intellivision (yes I know they really aren't obscure) They had 3 40-50" plasmas hanging on the wall, 5 bucks an hour or something to play on them. Prices weren't too bad actually, they were priced about the same as gamestop. If you stop by, eat at the noodle place next door, good stuff.

EDIT: Noodle place is Eo Noodle, it has a bigger sign then game universe, so it'll help you find the place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

ok sweet, so they do have saturn/sega cd. Does anybody who has gone there know what time they close at? I don't wanna drive out there to find out they close at 6 (I leave work around 5). So the noodle place huh? looks like I'll have to check into that later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

oh shoot, I also forgot to ask anybody that has gone to this place what the prices for the saturn/sega cd are like. I go to other classic gaming stores (*cough* Plaistow *cough* *cough*) and they want like $5-$10 more than what the highest price on ebay is. You can get common saturn games anywhere between $10-$15 at some of these store (ones that you can buy for $5 on ebay). I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they got a few decent ones for sale without having to think to myself, "wow, I could get all these game 50% cheaper on ebay."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of what I remember for prices they had sonic cd for 25, mad dog mcree for 10, and thats all I got right now. They close at 10!! Which is insane. That'll probably be changed sometime, but its what the sign said yesterday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I just went to the store last night, and I thought it was pretty good. The sales people actually want to talk to you, almost all of thier price are fair, and there is plenty of room to move around (for now). I picked up Doom and Rayman for saturn, Grandia for PS1 ($25 aint bad), commando for intellivision for $5 (R5), an official saturn memory card, and a CIB lock n' chase for intellivision ($5). They even had neo geo pocket color for sale. Once I was done buying the games, my brother and I played some Time Crisis 4 on the arcade machine they had. They actually got 3 arcade machines (Tekken 5, Time Crisis 4, and one of the newest DDRs). They have a myspace account for thier store as they say you can find out when they are having competitions on this site www.myspace.com/gameuniverse. I recomend this store and encourage everybody to at least check it out. They are trying to do something different than any other game store, and its fun. They said they may want to open several different locations, so go buy stuff from these guys and keep them going. The store is a bit empty for the most part right now (since they are new) but I'm sure that will change once people start trading everything in. They also et all the same new releases at the same time as all the major retail store do. I had a good experience there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

Its always good to hear a locally owned store is well run. Im going to have to check it out one of these days.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

According to Mapquest, I am 1 hour, 15 minutes from this place. Total Est. Distance: 58.63 miles Kind of a long haul, but I might have to check this place out soon.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

it is worth a shot to go check the place out. The only systems they don't have any games for at the moment were ones like 3d0, jaguar, stuff like that. But they did have a good selection of 2600 and intellivision. Maybe not the rarest of rare games for those but a good amount of uncommon ones. A lot of the CIB atari and INTV games are just $5. It is kind of a haul for you, but my brother met up with me there and he lives about an hour and a half away, and I didn't hear any complaints out of him about it not being worth the trip or anything. I'd say for prices, its about on par with and a bit cheaper than prices on ebay, it varies a bit. If you're looking for games to re-sell, this probably isn't the place to go, but for games to put into your own collection, I'd check it out. This may not apply to most collectors, but they say they try to give you more than any other used game shop when you trade things in.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, they're a pretty decent store with some fair prices. I've gone in twice so far and bought the following games..

Zanac - loose
    M.C. Kids - loose
    Thunder Blade - complete
    Rastan - complete
    Zillion 2 - complete
    Super Thunder Blade - complete
    Twin Cobra - boxed
    Decap Attack - boxed
    Eswat - complete
    Rolling Thunder 2 - complete

All the complete games were 4.99 and the loose/boxed ones were 2.99 a piece.

an official Saturn memory card.
    Shit, you bought that. I know I should have snagged it when I had the change.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

yeah I bought it and it was $10, thats not bad IMO. They actually had one more of those there down on the bottom shelf from where all the SNES and N64 games were (next to the 32x games). If you want it, I'd probably go pretty soon and pick it up. You don't really ever see those in the wild like that for a fair price. I kinda want to wait till next month to go into the store again because by then they should have even more stuff in stock. They said thier grand opening isn't until august, meaning they haven't gone all out with the place as of yet. I can't wait to see what kind of games they have in a month or two. I forgot to buy Frog Bog for the INTV when I was there :/ I was too busy buying all sorts of other stuff and getting change for the arcade machines.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666
    yeah I bought it and it was $10, thats not bad IMO. They actually had one more of those there down on the bottom shelf from where all the SNES and N64 games were (next to the 32x games). If you want it, I'd probably go pretty soon and pick it up. You don't really ever see those in the wild like that for a fair price. I kinda want to wait till next month to go into the store again because by then they should have even more stuff in stock. They said thier grand opening isn't until august, meaning they haven't gone all out with the place as of yet. I can't wait to see what kind of games they have in a month or two. I forgot to buy Frog Bog for the INTV when I was there :/ I was too busy buying all sorts of other stuff and getting change for the arcade machines.

Oh, I thought the Saturn memory card near the SNES games was the only one they had. I guess I still have a change to pick it up today.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.