Thread: Question about the NES official top-loader

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question about the NES official top-loader

What kind of video/audio output does it have? I hear the composite jacks were taken out and RF is the only way to connect the re-designed NES. Is that true?

The more important question I guess would be: why don't I know this?
    The last metroid...
    is in captivity.

The galaxy...
    is at peace.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

it just has rf output.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Yup, only RF. Still, I love that I don't have to worry about the purple screen anymore

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geneshifter
    Yup, only RF. Still, I love that I don't have to worry about the purple screen anymore
    Indeed.
    The last metroid...
    is in captivity.

The galaxy...
    is at peace.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use my sideloader with a new connector pin. I just can't stand having to go through the hassle of using RF and having a little "striped wave" (for lack of better term) going over my picture the whole time.
    Alert the internet.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a fairly easy mod to get it to output RCA. It was my first mod, and it was fast and works well.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tylerwillis
    There's a fairly easy mod to get it to output RCA. It was my first mod, and it was fast and works well.
    I bought mine modded that way on Ebay. I definately prefer playing on the top loader because it's so much easier inserting and ejecting a cart, especially if I'm using a pin convertor to play famicom carts. I also feel the dog bone controller is much more comfortable in my hands vs the regular NES controller. But I've always wondered if any NES games actually made use of stereo output.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Many people complain about top loader's lack of picture quality including visible vertical (or was it horizontal?) lines across the TV screen.

Any truth to this? Should I just stick with my original toaster? I do like the pro of the top loader loading as good as a SNES... but don't like its RF limitedness.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

can't speak for everyone, but yes my top loader has visible vertical lines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I bought a Top Loader years ago because of the NES blinking problem... Well, after a few days of playing the top loader and seeing how bad the vertical lines were I decided to revert back to the toaster... As a big NES fan, I would recommend using a toaster instead of a Top Loader... My top loader sits in the closet, in a Nintendo Power bag in fact.....
    So stick with a toaster...
    I would love to see how the A/V mod on the Top Loader works, especially with the new improved video mod, but I am too scared to mod it myself...
    Anyone got any pic of the Top Loader with the new improved video A/V mod in action??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup, I've got a couple top loaders and the vertical lines problem is pretty annoying. Doesn't bother everyone but personally I can't stand it, so I always use a toaster NES instead.

I read on these boards a while ago that a top loader will still have the vertical line problem even after an AV mod. The real cause has something to do with the RF shielding (I think). I was going to send out one of my toploaders to get modded but when I heard that you'll still have that video problem afterwards, I didn't see the point in getting it done.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    Many people complain about top loader's lack of picture quality including visible vertical (or was it horizontal?) lines across the TV screen.

Any truth to this? Should I just stick with my original toaster? I do like the pro of the top loader loading as good as a SNES... but don't like its RF limitedness.
    No messing with 72-pin connections every few months or blowing cartridges in vain. I despise the toaster model NES. I'd sooner use a Generation NEX than a toaster and that is just what I am doing at the moment, ever since receiving one as a gift.

My opinion is that the top loader is the best way to play your NES games, at least in the area of convenience. I wish I still had mine. I'll take a compromise in picture quality to avoid spending 10-15 minutes to get a game loaded or having it crash and freeze mid-game. Not to mention the 72-pin connectors.

When you are concentrating on your play in a tough game, the last thing on your mind should be picture quality. As I am trying to make it through the tougher stages of Gradius or Ninja Gaiden on a top-loader, I don't sit there worrying about what the picture looks like or how much better it would be on a toaster NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I never really notice the lines when I play my top loader. I'd pick those lines over my game freezing anyday.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

could anyone take a pic of these "vertical lines" or better yet, run a youtube link that shows the games in action on a top loader? Would highly appreciate it.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Honestly, when I'm playing games on my top loader, I don't even notice vertical lines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm glad someone's asked this question, as I'm interested in a toploader too.

From what I can find, there's this mod on GamesX. However, this still seems to produce vertical lines. If you read this thread over at NES Dev, there's a diagram for apparently perfect A/V output. Or you could just click here.

I'd like to know if anyone else has tried the second mod, and if there was a noticable difference in the picture quality.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Thought I'd share some photo's of identical screenshots I've taken of my toploader modded for av output and my front loading NES, both using composite cables, and let folks compare for themselves.
    I had read about the toploader having faint lines appearing in the display, but had never seen any actual photographic evidence of it and wasn't sure what color the lines were supposed to show up as. So I decided to try to get some pics of the two systems showing the same screen with different background colors figuring that no matter what color these lines were they should show clearly.

You can click on the thumbnail and get a clearer view.
    This first set is from Vice: Project Doom and has a black background...

NES toploader (modded)

NES frontloader

This second set is from Zombie Nation and has a dark red background...

NES toploader (modded)

NES frontloader

The next two sets I attempted to get some shots from a light and/or white background and to be honest, my camera had conniptions with it. I could see rolling horizontal lines thru the camera that were very similar to what you would see when someone films a TV that's playing. I also noticed that my attempts at resizing the shots to a smaller image resulted in a garbled picture. My work around was to only modestly resize the image and then reduce the color palate from 256 colors to 16 colors. These gave me images clear enough to compare and yet where small enough byte wise to upload for hosting.

This third set is from P.O.W. and has a white background....

NES toploader (modded)

NES frontloader

This final set is from Fantasy Zone and has a pale green background..

NES toploader (modded)

NES frontloader

I've convinced myself that this modded toploader I picked up on Ebay doesn't have any lines that noticably appear in any of the different backgrounds I've tested. You can draw your own conclusions.
    I had noticed some minor image quality differences with my photo's, but was willing to chalk it up to the fact that I was often forced to snap a shot using only my right hand to operate the camera. But after I had satisfied myself that the image quality was sufficient to show that a toploader could be successfully modified to eliminate the lines, I decided to put down the camera and simply sit down with these two consoles for the first time and compare them side by side to the best of my ability. I have now reached the conclusion that my NES frontloader produces a brighter and clearer display image. I think the two images from Zombie Nation best provides the differences in image quality.
    I had always been very happy with the display of my toploader, so I was actually suprised to find there was a noticable difference. I still like the toploader and enjoy it's advantages, but I no longer have any doubt that it is a step down from the front loader visually. That's not to say that your modded toploader experience's won't vary from mine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks for the cool comparison pics, Spartacus.

I would be very curious to see non-moded top loader vs. AV toaster.

I am no expert but I think people complain about non-moded top loader having vertical lines as a problem, I believe when a top loader is moded for AV output that the vertical lines are gone.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, however.