Thread: Was this a decent deal??? *** UPDATE****

Strawberry (Level 2) Drag0nsfyre's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Was this a decent deal??? *** UPDATE****

Hey everyone.
    Last week I was inquiring about NES and gold 72 pin connectors since I was thinking about adding a NES to my slowly growing classic video game collection. Thanks to all of you who responded. Well, I went after a few toaster versions and was outbid. Then I came across a lot that had the Toploader version. I was just reading the " question about NES Toploader thread" and It seems there are mixed feelings some like it others do not. In any case I decided to try my luck at this lot and won! So my question to you guys is did I get a decent deal. Thanks!
    There were many games in the lot that I would have wanted to pick up once optaining a NES so I was quite happy with the selection.

Here is what the lot included

As quoted ( and hyped) by the Seller............

"This is a one of a kind Nintendo NES ORIGINAL top-loader system. It is in perfect working condition and boots up every time without having to blow in the machine at all! You're not going to find a package like this anywhere on Ebay. The system alone retails for 250 dollars because of how rare it is! Make it part of your collection today! This whole package comes with the following:

1 Top-loading Nintendo NES System with Cable-box connector and power supply (RARE)
    4 controllers (3 classic, 1 dog-bone style)
    1 Light-gun
    1 four player adapter (RARE)
    Here's all of the games that are included in this amazing package, many with game sleeves!!!
    The Legend of Zelda (gold cartridge RARE)
    Super Mario Brothers / Duck Hunt (light-gun)
    Super Mario Brothers 2
    Super Mario Brothers 3
    Dr. Mario
    Yoshie
    Excitebike
    RBI Baseball
    Bases Loaded 1
    Contra
    Super C (Contra 2)
    Blades of Steel
    Kirby's Adventure
    Donkey Kong Classics
    Simon's Quest 2
    Super Spike Volleyball / Nintendo World Cup Soccer (RARE - 4 player)
    Rampage
    M.U.L.E. (4 player)
    Ninja Gaiden 1
    Gauntlet
    Gauntlet 2 (4 player)
    Hogan's Alley (light-gun)
    Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game
    Kung Fu (RARE) "

My winning bid was $152 + $15 shipping (which will be slow shipping at this price I'm sure )

So how did I do? good, bad, decent??

the pic.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i would say you got a pretty good deal...ive seen the top loader and the 3 mario games sell for that price a few times

congrats

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Well... I wouldn't pay that much for that. I don't really care for the top loaders, but they are a definite collector's item. And you definitely got quite a few of the better NES games there. I would say that if you bought the system because you reayy want to start playing and collecting NES, then it is an OK deal. But you could have done much better trying to buy a toaster NES here on DP, refurbing it, and then picking up some loose games.

If you are happy with the deal you got, then that's all that matters.

Chris

Strawberry (Level 2) JerseyDevil65's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you did OK. You got some really great games there to play.

I also think the seller is one of the best bullshit artists I have ever seen. A Top Loader retails for $250? Kung Fu rare?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil65
    Kung Fu rare?
    Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed. I love when people call excessively common games rare, especially in this case.

Like others have said, it's a fair deal. You didn't get ripped off, but I personally wouldn't pay that much. The games included are pretty great, however, and if they are all ones you would have bought eventually, it's a far better deal. Buying games individually can get pricey when you include shipping.
    ________
    Lamborghini Wiki Specifications
    Last edited by ryborg; 05-08-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg
    I love when people call excessively common games rare, especially in this case.

omg...

Maybe I'll go list my assortment of Silent Service, Baseball, Golf, and Double Dribble as "OMG SUPER INCREDIBLE RARE GAMES - NEVER SEEN BEFORE - MORE RARE THAN PANESIANS!!" and get uber $$$ for em...sweet....

I agree with everyone else, fair/average deal. If you were really after a top loader, then good deal. Nice selection of games also.
    - "Do you have Friends: Season One on VHS?"
    - "These are Nintendo games ma'am"
    - "How about Season Two?"
    - "Sure, here it is, just make sure you shove it in the VCR really hard..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well if you got them to play you did alright because there are a number of great games in there, but if you just got them to collect it's not a very good deal. I buy and sell these all the time and I've gotten similar lots for $60-80 many times. All that matters though is that you're happy with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fun times. Once again, not the best deal in the world but far from the worst. You pulled off with a good bargin for eBay. Hope it all works out and you enjoy it. I'm still waiting to stumble across a good buy locally on a top loader.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

It'd look better with a couple more games, mainly the second Zelda title. However, you got some great games and a ready-to-play system all at once. I prefer the top-loader, myself.

Don't worry about the price. Do what you gotta do to win, sometimes. If you ask me, you broke even and it was a fair price. Sooner or later, you'll come out ahead on something, anyway. You should bump this to let us know what your thoughts are when you plug it in and start playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like everyone else said.. it's a good deal if you wanted it. Just don't believe seller BS hype.. ever.. unless you do your reaserch.

Example for me.. last week I won an auction for a complete Maximum Carnage for $10 + S&H. I wanted a complete game and even though MC is as common as hell.. I rarely see it complete (including the poster) so I bid and won. I had to laugh at the seller's claim that a red cart limited edition of MC was as rare as the 32X Spiderman: Web of Fire (gimme' a break! ); but I wanted the game.

My only fear was that one of my fellow DP'ers would see the auction and think that I bought into his bullshit.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

Looks like a good start on a collection. Enjoy!

Strawberry (Level 2) Drag0nsfyre's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

**** UPDATE**********

Thanks for everyone responces very much appritiated. You guys have always been helpful with Q's and I've also learned alot from just reading other posts and threads.

Alrighty, I know someone mentioned they wanted this bumped with an update so here it is. I came home from work tonight to find a box waiting for me. Sweet! I bring it in and open it. Ummm a mighty craptastic packaging job. Pretty much throw it all in a box add some crumpled up newspaper and call it good. I was'nt to pleased with that but I was more concerned if it worked or not. I quickly hooked everything up and grabbed a game to check. I happened to grab Castlevania II Simon's Quest. I ended up with a yellow screen hmmmmm I pulled that out and grabbed the next nearest game in reach which was R.B.I. Baseball. I soon saw a scrolling R.B.I. logo go by and a little flash with the press start. Excellent! So I know the system works. I hav'nt went through all the games yet ( I was hungry so I had to fix something to eat) I will go through a few others tonight and of course I will be cleaning some cartridges and see if I can revive Castlevania II. From what I have read the method most commonly used is 91% alchahol solution and a Q-Tip correct? ANy other hints would be greatly appritiated as well. I'm pleased that I know the system at least works and it will sit along with my SNES2. I can't wait to rev up some great memories ( if they work that is) with some of the other great titles that came with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Drag0nsfyre
    **** UPDATE**********

Thanks for everyone responces very much appritiated. You guys have always been helpful with Q's and I've also learned alot from just reading other posts and threads.

Alrighty, I know someone mentioned they wanted this bumped with an update so here it is. I came home from work tonight to find a box waiting for me. Sweet! I bring it in and open it. Ummm a mighty craptastic packaging job. Pretty much throw it all in a box add some crumpled up newspaper and call it good. I was'nt to pleased with that but I was more concerned if it worked or not. I quickly hooked everything up and grabbed a game to check. I happened to grab Castlevania II Simon's Quest. I ended up with a yellow screen hmmmmm I pulled that out and grabbed the next nearest game in reach which was R.B.I. Baseball. I soon saw a scrolling R.B.I. logo go by and a little flash with the press start. Excellent! So I know the system works. I hav'nt went through all the games yet ( I was hungry so I had to fix something to eat) I will go through a few others tonight and of course I will be cleaning some cartridges and see if I can revive Castlevania II. From what I have read the method most commonly used is 91% alchahol solution and a Q-Tip correct? ANy other hints would be greatly appritiated as well. I'm pleased that I know the system at least works and it will sit along with my SNES2. I can't wait to rev up some great memories ( if they work that is) with some of the other great titles that came with.
    Castlevania II is the worst of the series, not because of the gameplay, but the little adds the developers did, such as the day to night thing... stops everything. Kind of a bummer.

Q-tip and alcahol work great!, ensure you clean the games, the system itself will be a little more difficult but toploaders don't get dirty as easy as the toaster.