Thread: fav old lucas arts game

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default fav old lucas arts game

I thought this would be a good topic, my favs would be monkey island lechucks revenge or Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis, both of which I had on the MAC back in the day.

anyone else?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Day of the Tentacle. Second going to Sam and Max. I love the games where the settings and puzzles are absolutely absurd, yet the solutions make perfect sense within the context of the game, unlike what I've played of Sierra's adventure games. Extra points to Lucasarts for most of their games being impossible to get stuck in and require a restart 5 hours into the game (looking at YOU King's Quest )

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

full throttle is an amazing game, from start to finish. I'm sad to see they never continued on with the series.
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Grim Fandango. I just played through it again recently. One of the best games I've ever played.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dark Forces - Groundbreaking first person shooter. Initially I wrote it off as a Star Wars themed Doom clone, but after getting my dickbeaters on it I was treated to the best/most original FPS of the era. Really nice game engine that was ahead of its time (not as ahead as say...Ultima Underworld was for its time, but pretty flippin' advanced ).

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight - Even better than Dark Forces. While the graphics haven't aged too well and the FMV is cheesy as can be, the level design was leaps and bounds beyond anything else available at the time.

Maniac Mansion - As much flak as the NES version gets for being censored, it was the version that introduced me to this gem. Multiple paths and shit loads of replayability? Sold. Fun as hell game, though the graphics may put new players off now a days.

Day of the Tentacle - Lord, I remember walking into a store and seeing this sucker running...it looked like a damned cartoon instead of a game. I played the dickens out of it and loved it; the inclusion of the original game was the icing on the cake. Funny as hell (Green Tentacle and Hogie rock!) and some really damned nice animation.

Sam & Max - Now, I love this game to pieces, but the puzzle design is quite a bit weaker than in DotT. Despite that, the writing and artwork is top notch and they really make up for the puzzles. I've been fortunate in that I never had to play the disk version; I've always owned the CD version. The voice acting is god damned GOLDEN.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - I believe it was Discovery Channel or something that was running a program on Lucasfilm Games or some such and had a nice segment on the production of this sucker and the challenges on creating a game in the Indy mythos that'd offer replayability and would live up to fans' expectations. It was so damned cool and I wanted the game, but I only had a 286 at the time.

Fast forward to a few years later after we'd upgraded to a 486 and I found the CD version in a store for $15. Bought it, played the hell out of it, and it lived up to my expectations. As a unique twist, now I want to find that damned program that I watched so long ago about the game

X-Wing - ok, I know Tie Fighter is better in virtually every regard, but X-Wing has a certian sentimental value as it was one of the first games we bought when we upgraded to a 486 (the other was Dune II and about a month later I picked up Space Hulk). It was tough as nails with its unforgiving mission structure (you must complete ALL objectives to beat the missions), but I still loved the hell out of it. True to my console roots, I used a gravis gamepad to beat the game...and in hindsight, I have no idea how. Those pads were pieces of shit, but at the time it worked just fine. Heh.

Also, B-Wing was an awesome expansion, screw the haters.

Tie Fighter - Like I mentioned above, the game was like X Wing only better in every respect. Gourad shading made everything look nice and smooth (though I had to toggle it off to run the game better ), more lenient mission structure, fucking imperial tattoos, etc.

Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe - I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I liked this game better than Red Baron, despite the weaker engine. Incredibly fun WW2 air combat game that wasn't the most advanced sim out there, but it was the most fun at the time. (unless you count Wing Commander as a sim, in which case this would be the second best at the time ).

Metal Warriors - I know, it's a SNES game and not a PC game...but it's still hella good. It's considered by many to be part of the Assault Suits series, but in reality it's more of a clone/homage (and a damned good one at that) by some american folk. Side scrolling mech fuckuppery-a-hoy!

Indy Desktop Adventures - It's a shame this came on a floppy disk (that I've since lost...i think) instead of a cd like Yoda Stories (which wasn't as good). Fun little time waster that would randomly generate a new adventure every time you played. The adventures were short but enjoyable, and considering it was a budget title you couldn't really ask for much more I bought it when it was bundled with Yoda Stories for ...$20 I think. I got my money's worth from Indy...but Yoda Stories...eh....

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx
    Dark Forces - Groundbreaking first person shooter. Initially I wrote it off as a Star Wars themed Doom clone, but after getting my dickbeaters on it I was treated to the best/most original FPS of the era. Really nice game engine that was ahead of its time (not as ahead as say...Ultima Underworld was for its time, but pretty flippin' advanced ).

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight - Even better than Dark Forces. While the graphics haven't aged too well and the FMV is cheesy as can be, the level design was leaps and bounds beyond anything else available at the time.

Maniac Mansion - As much flak as the NES version gets for being censored, it was the version that introduced me to this gem. Multiple paths and shit loads of replayability? Sold. Fun as hell game, though the graphics may put new players off now a days.

Day of the Tentacle - Lord, I remember walking into a store and seeing this sucker running...it looked like a damned cartoon instead of a game. I played the dickens out of it and loved it; the inclusion of the original game was the icing on the cake. Funny as hell (Green Tentacle and Hogie rock!) and some really damned nice animation.

Sam & Max - Now, I love this game to pieces, but the puzzle design is quite a bit weaker than in DotT. Despite that, the writing and artwork is top notch and they really make up for the puzzles. I've been fortunate in that I never had to play the disk version; I've always owned the CD version. The voice acting is god damned GOLDEN.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - I believe it was Discovery Channel or something that was running a program on Lucasfilm Games or some such and had a nice segment on the production of this sucker and the challenges on creating a game in the Indy mythos that'd offer replayability and would live up to fans' expectations. It was so damned cool and I wanted the game, but I only had a 286 at the time.

Fast forward to a few years later after we'd upgraded to a 486 and I found the CD version in a store for $15. Bought it, played the hell out of it, and it lived up to my expectations. As a unique twist, now I want to find that damned program that I watched so long ago about the game

X-Wing - ok, I know Tie Fighter is better in virtually every regard, but X-Wing has a certian sentimental value as it was one of the first games we bought when we upgraded to a 486 (the other was Dune II and about a month later I picked up Space Hulk). It was tough as nails with its unforgiving mission structure (you must complete ALL objectives to beat the missions), but I still loved the hell out of it. True to my console roots, I used a gravis gamepad to beat the game...and in hindsight, I have no idea how. Those pads were pieces of shit, but at the time it worked just fine. Heh.

Also, B-Wing was an awesome expansion, screw the haters.

Tie Fighter - Like I mentioned above, the game was like X Wing only better in every respect. Gourad shading made everything look nice and smooth (though I had to toggle it off to run the game better ), more lenient mission structure, fucking imperial tattoos, etc.

Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe - I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I liked this game better than Red Baron, despite the weaker engine. Incredibly fun WW2 air combat game that wasn't the most advanced sim out there, but it was the most fun at the time. (unless you count Wing Commander as a sim, in which case this would be the second best at the time ).

Metal Warriors - I know, it's a SNES game and not a PC game...but it's still hella good. It's considered by many to be part of the Assault Suits series, but in reality it's more of a clone/homage (and a damned good one at that) by some american folk. Side scrolling mech fuckuppery-a-hoy!

Indy Desktop Adventures - It's a shame this came on a floppy disk (that I've since lost...i think) instead of a cd like Yoda Stories (which wasn't as good). Fun little time waster that would randomly generate a new adventure every time you played. The adventures were short but enjoyable, and considering it was a budget title you couldn't really ask for much more I bought it when it was bundled with Yoda Stories for ...$20 I think. I got my money's worth from Indy...but Yoda Stories...eh....
    really cool reviews man, thanx for the effort!

Few of those I haven't played yet, I'll keep my eye open for'em

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There isn't nearly enough love for my beloved Monkey Island, people! The first three games in this series should be at the top of anyone's list.

Day of the Tentacle and Fate of Atlantis would be close seconds, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by THATinkjar
    There isn't nearly enough love for my beloved Monkey Island, people! The first three games in this series should be at the top of anyone's list.
    Monkey Island had a fun story, good dialogue, and nice pirate music, but the puzzles always kinda pissed me off (I ended up having to use the hint guides on them ). Oddly enough, I dug my Curse of Monkey Island discs out of the garage so that I could install it on my wife's computer yesterday (she LOVES adventure games)

Something I didn't mention was The Dig. The previews for it always looked really cool/interesting and hearing that Stephen Spielberg was attached to it from the get go always made me want to check it out and I wasn't disappointed when I finally got it (after many delays ). Really nice sci fi storyline, challenging but not annoying puzzles, and a copy of Lunar Lander on your PDA that you can play at any time. Score.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is a really tough question for me to answer. LucasArts was the one company I followed growing up, and I'm pretty sure I've played through every one of their adventure games from the Zak McCracken and Loom days, up through the most recent Monkey Island.

If I were hard pressed, I'd probably say Sam & Max. But each one of these games has a big of nostalgia for me. I can usually remember which year of school I was in by remembering what LucasArts game I was playing at the time.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

For me, it is easily Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island 2. I still have to load those up and give them a go every now and then.

Chris

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    For me, it is easily Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island 2.
    Exactly my two. Followed closely by Sam & Max and Monkey Island... the first one.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, man, Monkey Island ruled. I might even still have the install disks for it around here somewhere. I STILL drop one-liners from that game every once in a while. "These pretzels are making me thirsty." "I'm selling these fine jackets." "How appropriate. You fight like a cow."

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Anyone remember Rescue on Fraculus?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Monkey Island theme music still brings a tear to my eye, even to this day. While I love MIDIs as much as the next hardened gamer, The Curse of Monkey Island's opening tune was - without doubt - the best take on the MI theme.

Just wonderful. I even like how it makes you wait almost a minute before it really gets going. Ron Gilbert is my God, and I offer him some toilet roll in honour.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have alot of fond memories of playing the first Dark Forces at a friend's house on a Packard Bell (remember those right?)
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Cool Topic !

Without question these 2 ....

"Secret Weapons Of The LuftWaffe"

And ....

"TIE Fighter"

Later!
    CLICK > "paisleyATOM" -- Your Source For 68000 Apple Computer Entertainment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Despite my avatar, easily the Monkey Island Series for me. I'm still waiting for MI5.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even though I liked pretty much all of the LucasArts games, I especially enjoyed DotT and Loom.
    I'm always looking for new boxed NES accessories. If you've got any for sale, shoot me a PM!