View Poll Results: Which Nintendo Console was the Worst?

Voters
357. You may not vote on this poll
  • NES

16 4.48%
  • SNES

13 3.64%
  • N64

200 56.02%
  • Gamecube

105 29.41%
  • Wii (the demise of Nintendo is almost upon us!!!!)

23 6.44%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Nintendo Console

Insert Coin (Level 0) AlphaNerd01's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agreed. Banjo Kazooie does NOT stand the test of time at all, and Pikman is an awesome game. However, honest, the MUST-HAVE titles on the Cube compared to the MUST-HAVE titles on the N64.. it's close, seriously, I'm rethinking this again and again.

I don't think MM is as disapointing as WW was to be honest. But here's what we all forgot. TP for GC. Now doesn't that add a drop to the hat. (Granted its coming out on the Wii as well, but lets be fair.)

Man, this was a great idea for a thread.. but still, I think the N64 as a Nintendo home console was better than the GC. I want to stress that I own two GCs, one for console play and one for the GB Player, and I love both of them. But I still think a lot of the games on the system (not all) are simply just rehashes.

Granted, Metroid Prime, Pikman, even Animal Crossing are ALL awesome games. But then the poorly implemented GBA connectability comes to mind. Then I remember the belief in the non-hardcore gaming part of the industry that the GC is the "kiddie konsole." I hate that. I really do. Honestly, if the GC had a blow-away Mario title, and perhaps a Blast Corps-like sleeper hit, I'd be swayed. Maybe even when TP comes out I'll be swayed. I honestly can't be too sure.

(Further) I want to STRESS that this debate is only over game library. If the debate included hardware and even the controller issue, the NES would seriously be on my mind. My hand cramps using the NES controller (I have big hands), and the NES hardware is garbage. But like I said, the NES has SO MANY good titles on it, it'd be a sin to call that a bad system, not to mention the worst.

I think it's fair to say the GC and N64 are both neck and neck for being Nintendo's "eh" consoles, but looking back, the GC just seriously has looked and been lukewarm, besides a few grand slams, pun intended. (... I'm referring to Mario Superstar Baseball, as an obscure example.)
    Genesis does what Nintendon't.

http://www.youtube.com/radretroreviews

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frica89
    The N64 was the greatest multiplayer experience ever IMO.
    Egads...I totally forgot to acknowlege that. Some of the best memories of the system were with friends. Goldeneye matches, Excitebike races, Waverace stunt competitions....great times.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    How can anyone say Gamecube doesn't have as many good games? I own over 40 games for Gamecube (that I think are good)
    That's the thing with these polls: so overly subjective. To compare, I own roughly 30+ N64 games and a mere 7 if you include the demo discs (Rogue Squadron and the demo set with Splinter Cell/Billy Hatcher/etc). I mentioned the rereleases/remakes in my post and I still stand by it. I like F-Zero X better than GX as the craft handle better and the game design flowed better (as opposed to the oddball story mode in GX). Mario 64, while dated, felt more "Mario"-ish than Sunshine. Waverace Blue Storm I swear was a graphic overhaul of the original with more realistic water physics (yawn).

As for more "original" content, the Cube got a lot of ports that usually got pushed aside by critics and reviewers and eventually forgotten altogether with various head-to-had comparisons. Personally I went for the Xbox ports as they were "better" on a technical scale. Cube exclusives were somewhat few and didn't really rock the boat.

In regards to the games being good on N64 being "better on other systems", people can argue this until they are blue in the face. Why play Resident Evil 4 on the Cube when you can play a near spittin' image on the PS2 that also has exclusive content? While I used the comparison of Gauntlet Legends on N64 and PS1, it was a generational comparison. Dreamcast was "next gen" and their version better look better. Oh, one thing the N64 version had the DC version didn't was a more "adventure" game feel-you could turn the powerups on and off, allowing them to be sold. And personally I prefer the "blurring" in Oot (which I really can't notice) onthe N64. The "cleanup" really didn't make the game look a whole lot better.

The Cube games you mention that "put it ahead"...how so? I'll give you Pikmin and Super Monkey Ball-those are some pretty unique titles (even though I didn't get into Pikmin, I'll admit it was fresh). While I enjoyed Metroid Prime, take the Metroid license away and you have a first person shooter with adventure and platforming elements that people may or may not have flocked to as much as M.P. Prince of Persia, Skies of Arcadia, Wario Ware and to some extent Alien Hominid are ports. If the Cube didn't exist, these games still would have and wouldn't have been brought into a Nintendo console comparison. Killer 7....stumped on that one. I never played it, looks totally psycho and I have no idea if it would have come to fruition if the Cube wasn't around. Call that one a draw .

It's early to see what impact the Cube had on the industry, but the N64 did have its impact. Lots of trends got started thanks to some 64 firsts. Some not so good as others (like the beforementioned racing glut on the system or the industry wide scrambling to make kart racers....Super Bombad Racing...yuck.). That alone should make the N64 rise up from the crap pile people seem to like putting the system in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

God damn this thread soared behind my back.

I chose N64, not because it's the worst rather because it was the transition to 3D. The issue I had with 32-bit systems was their push to get 3D on their systems and it looked nice then but of course it looks like complete crap now. I wish companies would have held back on trying to push limits to go 3D, and therefore I think a lot of N64 games could have kicked ass being 2D instead. I know a TON of people will disagree, but the Zelda games on the N64, although looked top knotch at the time, I think staying with the 2D roots would have been freaking awesome! If every N64 game were built like Mario64, Zelda, Banjo, and Conker then I'd give more ups to the N64. Other than that, a ton of the games kicked ass, although once again people declair it a kids consule, and I beg to differ since I own over 60 games on it AND most everyone 1 of them are not teen or kids rated and kick much needed ass.

Second place is the GameCube because they just didn't market it well for game developers, but it has its gems.

Best is SNES with all the fun adventure, role playing, and racing games.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PS1 is the most disappointing system ever, though. I finally got around to getting one a year ago and it just doesn't live up to the hype. All the supposed great games and killer apps on the system just seem mediocre and not as well done as the N64's killer apps.

And how could you not like the GameCube? It's the best designed system ever. It looks awesome, and controller is super comfy. I've got at least 60 GameCube games sitting on my shelf right now that I'd consider excellent.

The NES is overhyped because of the nostalgia factor...playing an NES game today just isn't as fun as playing a SNES, N64, or GameCube game...so why doesn't it qualify as the worst? Then there's the annoying rectangle controller...cart blowing...no saving...the annoying beeps and bloops...it's so primitive and annoying today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar
    However those of you who used the "same but prettier" reason for picking the GC as the worst Nintendo console, would you use the same reasoning and pick the PS2 over the PS1 in the same kind of poll for Sony systems? Why or why not?
    Nope, half of the big franchises from the PS1 era - Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, etc seem to have suffered in the move to PS2 until recently when some pretty major changes have been made. The PS2 has such a huge library of first and third party games (the latter I will actually play as I didn't find the controller prohibative) that new series - Prince of Persia, Time Splitters, Ico etc have come to the fore.

EDIT: I realise that this is horribly unfair - almost completely ignoring 3rd party stuff for the Cube. It's just that with every multi-platform title I've bought the control has seemed awkward. Basing your controller around one big green button does not seem the way to go for most stuff. That could just be me though.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

N64 had great games, but it was so blocky and the games were so expensive that it gets killed.

Just so you know, though, Ogre Battle 64 is in my top 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gencoil
    I never understood why this track was called "Last Springsteen". Then it hit me, Bruce Springsteen goes under the nickname "The Boss"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by AMG
    I voted for the Gamecube. While a great console in it's own right with some truly great games, it just doesn't stack up.

To me it lacked the brilliant 1st party games of the N64, and doesn't even compare to the greatness of the SNES and the NES IMO.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. The Gamecube IS good in it's own right, it's just the "worst" of the rest listed, in my opinion.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer
    The PS1 is the most disappointing system ever, though. I finally got around to getting one a year ago and it just doesn't live up to the hype. All the supposed great games and killer apps on the system just seem mediocre and not as well done as the N64's killer apps.

The NES is overhyped because of the nostalgia factor...playing an NES game today just isn't as fun as playing a SNES, N64, or GameCube game...so why doesn't it qualify as the worst? Then there's the annoying rectangle controller...cart blowing...no saving...the annoying beeps and bloops...it's so primitive and annoying today.
    re the ps - I'd agree that the games don't hold up that well today - but the point is they looked good back then.

nes - again, mind blowing back then. Some games do seem kind of primitive now, although some still *shine* (tyson, super c, SMB etc)

Are you a younger guy? I think most people who played those machines back then would agree that they kicked ass, although if you don't have the benefit of that perspective I would see where you're coming from.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I go for the N64. Personally, I don't see what is so great about Goldeneye. Then again I do not like anything resembling a First Person Shooter.

I remember Mario 64 and Pilotwings blew me away when I got the system..., but other than Zelda, it never did much for me. I also don't think the games hold up in graphics or gameplay over time as well as the other systems.

Be that as it were, I LOVE the system, I just think it's the worst out of the available options to choose from.

And why do people hate on the VB so much? WarioLand for and Red Alarm were incredible games.

I honestly wish they'd release some headmounted display for the WII. ...
    Selling my collection!!!
    http://myworld.ebay.com/cmstar0/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

N64 - i just dont get how anyone can like it. just thinking about the system makes me angry.

i have no facts or thoughts to back up my opinion, but i firmly stand behind it. the Nintendo 64 is the worst "mainstream" console ever released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, I was gonna vote for 64, but decided to say Gamecube. Even though Gamecube has more games, 64 has better games. Mario and Zelda for Gamecube fucking suck. 64 on the other hand had decent ones.

Don't get me wrong, Nintendo 64 was the biggest dissapointment that Nintendo has ever delivered. But I would rather play Mario 64 than Mario Sunshine and I would rather play OoT than Windwaker.

Nintendo turned around alot of the negative aspects of the 64 system when they released the Gamecube, but they turned all their franchises into GARGBAGE.

Also, I remember how cool N64 was upon release for having 4 controller ports!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the way I see it;

GameCube = superior hardware, inferior software.

Technologically, the N64 is crap. Difficult to programme for, cartridges, delicate joysticks. It's not exactly a triumph of console design.

But it's the games that matter. GoldenEye 007, Lylat Wars, Top Gear Rally, San Francisco Rush, Super Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, Mario Kart 64, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Blast Corps, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Perfect Dark, Re-Volt, World Driver Championship, Vigilante 8, Mario Party 2 and so on are all reasons I still play the N64 to this day and love it so.

For me, the GCN has Super Smash Bros. Melee, F-Zero GX, Ikaruga, Super Monkey Ball, Resident Evil 4 and Pikmin 2 - and even then, Ikky and RE4 aren't GCN exclusives. SSBM and F-Zero GX are the N64 franchises that went to the GCN and became better. Super Mario, Zelda, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Party all became less fun in their transition to the GCN.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alec
    OK, I was gonna vote for 64, but decided to say Gamecube. Even though Gamecube has more games, 64 has better games. Mario and Zelda for Gamecube fucking suck. 64 on the other hand had decent ones.
    Super Mario Sunshine kicks Super Mario 64's ass. SM64 had the shittiest camera ever conceived. And Zelda is way better on the GameCube...

On the Cube, you've got
    Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Zelda: Master Quest
    Zelda: Collector's Edition
    -Legend of Zelda
    -Zelda II
    -Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    -Zelda: Majora's Mask
    Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
    Zelda: Wind Waker
    Zelda: Twilight Princess

The N64 has...drumroll...
    Zelda: Ocarina of Time (on GameCube with better graphics)
    Zelda: Majora's Mask (on GameCube with better graphics)

So that "N64 has better Zeldas" argument just flies right out the window, considering the fact the GameCube has all the N64 Zeldas and 6 more.

I gotta say, the NES is pretty damn disappointing. After all the hype I got one and found out the games just suck. They're not "classic." If they were classic they'd still be fun to play...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me...it's the GameCube. There were only a small few games on the GCN that I really got into.

Oh, and after reading Xizer's post...I was thinking how many Zeldas it's possible to play, in some form or another, on the GameCube...if you count the Game Boy Player as part of the GameCube.

The Legend of Zelda (on Zelda Collector's Disc)

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Zelda Collector's Disc)

Zelda: A Link to the Past (not the SNES version, but you can play the GBA version on the Game Boy Player)

Zelda: Link's Awakening (play on the GB Player)

Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Collector's Disc and Master Quest Disc)

Zelda: Majora's Mask (Collector's Disc)

Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Play on GB Player)

Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Play on the GB Player)

Zelda: The Wind Waker (duh)

Zelda: Four Swords Adventure (duh)

Zelda: The Minish Cap (Play on GB Player)

Zelda: The Twilight Princess (duh)

Yep, the GCN is definitley the system of choose if you're a Zelda fanatic.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The NES with Super Mario alone is better then the 64 and all it's great games.

Remember if it wasn't for the NES and it's success you wouldn't have that pile of 64 crap to treasure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

N64.

Not that I hate it, but to me its the worst.

First off, terrible controller.

Second off, some of the best titles on the system, OoT and Majora, are playable in better form on the Gamecube and such. Even Super Mario 64 can be played on the DS if desired, even though I'd rather rock the 64 version.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I voted for the N64, but that's not to say that I think it is a bad system. But it is the worst Nintendo system. I hated the controller the first time I picked it up. If almost all of the games were going to use the analog stick, then why is it put in the middle of the controller, so that I have to hold the controller in such an odd manner?

The N64 has some really good games though. The Mario Party games are great, and Mario Kart 64 is my favorite game in the series. But the inferior graphics, inferior controller, and higher-priced games stopped me from ever buying an N64 in the mid to late 90's, as I was perfectly happy with the Playstation.

Re: Xizer I think it's funny that the Ninty fanboy has to first take a shot at the playstation (which has nothing to do with the thread) and then go on to trash the NES just because he is too young to appreciate how great it was.

Anyway, the N64 may not be as good as the other Nintendo consoles, but I think that any classic gaming enthusiast would be remiss were they not to include it in their collection. In general, I think that the first party titles have held up nicely.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aaronpetrosky
    Beautiful story fish sandwich. It almost made me cry
    What I was attempting to get across with my "beautiful story" is that is hard for a younger person to really judge a whole range of consoles that span 20 years.

A person whose first gaming experiences were on the N64 or GameCube is going to have a different point of view that that of someone who was an active gamer when the NES made its debut way back in 1986.

Sure, any gamer can look at an NES game and try to be objective but I imagine it's hard to be truly objective when that person is used to thousands of polygons and millions of colors. It's difficult to go back with an open mind... just read some of the earlier posts. Excitebike on NES is a hell of a lot different from Excitebike on N64.

Those of us who played the NES when it was first released were playing on cutting-edge hardware AT THE TIME. It was about the best we could get without going to an arcade.

I'm not saying that younger gamers can't be objective... I'm just saying it's harder. Will younger gamers really immerse themselves in NES games for hours and days on end to see what the NES was REALLY like or will they just fire up an emulator on their PC, take a crack at a few of the best-reviewed NES games, and then write them off as old crap when compared to the eye candy of later generations of hardware?
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's very true. Unfortunately that's how it is nowadays. When I used to coach soccer a year or 2 ago. I remember talking to players on my team about games and some didn't even know the NES existed.

I about fell over when I heard that. Nowadays all kids know is Madden, Halo and GTA.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer
    Super Mario Sunshine kicks Super Mario 64's ass. SM64 had the shittiest camera ever conceived. And Zelda is way better on the GameCube...
    Mario 64 was one the best for the N64. All Sunshine has was a super-powered Super Soaker.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)