Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what games do people trash alot that you like

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default what games do people trash alot that you like

what games out there do you like that everybody (game sites, magazines, forums) seems to trash and can't figure out why the game is given such bad reviews. I'm not gonna say list your top ten or anything like that, just list as many games as you want, the system they are for and the reason why you like it.

on my list there is:

Pacman-Atari 2600: I like this because although it wasn't a good arcade translation and the sound effects were not good, i still think its a fun game. People complained because it wasn't close enough to the arcade version, but i thought the game was still fun damn it.

Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires-xbox360: A lot of people are saying all it is is hacking and slashing your way to the enemy base and blah blah blah. I like it because you can upgrade your weapons and buy items and then hack and slash everyone down. But then again i never really got big into the previous 4 so I can't really compare it to the others, nor could i be sick of the game as a series.

Zelda 2-Nes: Loads of people complain "boo hoo its not the same as the first one, waah waah, I'm gonna kill myself if i play this game." its still a good freakin' game damn it, gimme a break here.

Batman Forever: the arcade game:-saturn: "oh there is too many things happening on screen, I don't know who I'm punching oh god I need a drink." shut up man, what the hells wrong with beating mass amount of people up and powering up, if there is too much happening at once then obviously you suck at the game cause you haven't cleared out enough enemies to make it easier for ya.

and thats my list. I know a lot of people are going to disagree with stuff that i had to say about it, but then again look at the topic of this post. I ain't afraid to admit the games i like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

im pretty sure this has been done before but a quick search yielded zilch..

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not a retro game, but seriously, fuck GTA3 et. al..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

oh i didn't know if there was already a thread about this so i did it anyways, theres 300+ pages on this so i don't know how to do a quick search about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Gravitar - both the arcade version and the 2600 port. Yes, it's excessively difficult but the gameplay is brilliant. I've always regarded playing Gravitar as akin to drinking straight espresso or eating grubs: Despite the unpleasantness, it's something you do simply to prove to people that you can.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The DOA series... it's a party fighting game, but everyone hates on it for being more arcadey than Virtua Fighter and Soul calibur. Puritan roots, I think.

I also <3 Zelda II.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I agree with Zelda II as well. That game gets a lot of hate. I remember when it came out, I really don't remember any of us being disappointed that it wasn't just like The Legend of Zelda. It was different, but still great.

The biggest one for me though is Final Fantasy VII. I really don't understand why people hate it. Yes, it is different from it's predecessors, but I had such a blast playing it. One of my fondest gaming memories is spending every day that I had off that summer playing that game for 8 or so hours straight. I still love listening to the soundtrack.

Gravitar I can't say I have ever heard anyone speak ill of. I agree that it is a great game. Pac-Man for the VCS primarily has problems in the graphics department, so it isn't SO bad, but why play it when you can play the far superior Pac-Man Jr.?

Chris

Strawberry (Level 2) Saabmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't understand the hate for FFVII either. One of my best gaming memories was spending every day one summer watching my brother play through the entire game.

Personally, I LOVE Auto Destruct for the PSX, but it seems like everybody in the world but my brother and I hate it. I've always thought it was a fun game, with good graphics, decent lenghth, and a good story.

Another game I really enjoy and it seems everybody else hates is Road Avenger for the Sega CD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like playing ET on the 2600 but everyone else seems to hate it. I played it all the time as a kid so that probably has a lot to do with it.
    3,582 games and counting! Pics of tons of stuff!
    Come visit and sign the guestbook:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v48/SimplyDave/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Mario Bros. 2. Once again, it's not the same as the first one. It's an excellent game, with a lot of levels and personality. It's just a great game, and a lot deeper than the other NES Mario games.

In fact, I would say I like it more than Mario 1 or 3. I'm sure there are a lot of SMB3 fanboys here, but that game isn't so great.
    Alert the internet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chalk up another one for Zelda II here. Maybe it's not so hated after all?

For more modern consoles, I'd have to vote for Nightmare of Druaga (PS2). Consistently mediocre (or worse) reviews, but I liked it a lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I didn't think the E.T. 2600 was as bad as people claimed it to be either. I popped it in my VCS and didn't have as much of a problem as most people talk about with the pits. I think what it really comes down to is how open minded of a person you are when it comes to games. Sometimes an average game will get a bad rep through magazine reviews and be considered one of the worst games and everybody will just kinda follow that. One of my friends years ago told me I like all games no matter how badly they suck. He told me I'd play the shit out of a game called "dot's adventure in carrot land" where everytime you pushed they button, the dot would blink and thats it. I don't know about all that because there are a whole bunch of games out there I absolutely refuse to play, especially sports (except baseball) and wrestling.

I also enjoy the swordquest games for the 2600 also. I really don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do in those games, but for some reason i like them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh... the entire Virtual Boy system? Well, if it has to be one game, I guess I'd say Waterworld for VB... tons of people say it's the worst game ever, etc... I personally find it sorta enjoyable. Not the best game ever, but it has a real arcadish feeling to it, sorta like a 3D Asteroids.

I guess it's a little too different from the rest of the VB library (which are mostly 3D versions of typical games of it's time), which is probably why so many people don't like it... most people from that era wanted a game with levels and an ending, not like the old arcade games where you go for high scores.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ya, don't hate the VB! It's freaking fun as hell, it's a shame it didn't catch on too well and hurts many users heads after 30min+ of use. Wario alone is a great reason to get the system.

FF VII - Great, screw all those that hate on it. You're just pissed you suck at it. It's an ignorant argument to say it completely sucks due to its popularity and stomping out the sales of other Final Fantasy games to that time, and "pouring" RPGers into the genre that didn't know what the hell was up with the classics before it.

SMB 2 - In my opinion it's at the top! I loved the graphics, gameplay and interesting levels. It was something I remember well and actually enjoyed more than SMB 1 & 3 at the time.

Zelda 2 - Didn't play it much, never owned it. I've played the ROM and it wasn't THAT bad. I disliked the opening but was still solid. Once again, don't understand why people always have to hate sequals that don't follow in the exact footsteps.

ET - ... erm I just didn't like it. I know most that say "That game sucks horribly!" because they read an article about it and they, themselves have never touched it, so it's more of a snow ball effect. Would be better if people actually tried it.

Batman Forever - Played it on the GameGear and loved it. Wasn't that difficult, so that was the draw back but all the gears and weapons you get were awesome to a 10yr old like myself. I also enjoyed playing Aladin on my GG.

Something I can't stand is how a few of my friends say they hate Diablo and Diablo-like games, yet I've never seen them play any! It's like they watched someone play it and decided it wasn't for them, and if they even did touch the game they wouldn't really try it.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My friend trashes Katamari Damacy, he said it was, quote "The gayest thing I have ever seen" and refused to play it, watch it, etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Super Mario 2

FF 7. The only reasons why it is panned so the cool thing to do attitude from internet sites like gamefaqs and it being it 3d.

Pitfighter-arcade,genesis
    It's my cult classic.

Zelda 2-nes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My friend trashes Katamari Damacy, he said it was, quote "The gayest thing I have ever seen" and refused to play it, watch it, etc
    Clearly he has no soul.

Definitely agreed with everyone who said Super Mario 2.

Hmm, if there's any Final Fantasy that gets undeserved hate, it's FFIX. It may not have been the best FF, (though it is my favorite of the PS1 games) but it was a very well done game, and I think a lot of folks just got their noses bent out of shape because it didn't follow FFVII/VIII's aesthetics and didn't really give it a fair shake.

I'm also one of those crazies that liked the much hated on SNES Shadowrun over the Genesis version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Mario Bros. 2 (Doki Doki Panic) is fun.. but I have a lot more fun when I play Super Mario Bros. 3
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Nick J. Phillips

"Eternal Popcorn" (Honestly?... This probably isn't worth clicking.)

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

This may be the thread that partially covered this topic:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...hlight=eternal

Zelda II, Simon's Quest, Mario 2. The usual suspects.

I always thought the Sega Genesis had an amazing version of Double Dragon. The graphics look like the arcade, the music is great. Most people think the control is atrocious but it's not totally true. Reality is that if you mash the buttons too fast, then they become unresponsive. Don't push them too fast and the buttons respond every time. The game is marvelous.

Also liked Eternal Eyes and Evil Zone for Playstation. Two of the best $9 purchases I ever made.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why are so many people saying Super Mario Bros. 2? I've never heard anyone rip on that game, I thought everyone loved it.

Here's mine-

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)- It's just a fun game. Yes, it has challenging parts. But it isn't difficult in an unfair way. Certainly not when you learn how to play it.

Castlevania II - I had lots of fun with this game and still do. I don't care if it's not identical to Castlevania, it's fun. The play control is great, and the exploration element makes this my favorite NES Castlevania game.

Zelda II - I had a blast with Zelda II. You all know why it's so good, so I won't talk about that. I think everyone hates it because it's too hard for them. (This one takes patience and skill)

DOAXVB- Everyone makes fun of this game and people who own it, for obvious reasons. But I thought it was alot of fun, so fuck off.

Street Fighter EX 3- Certiainly not my favorite SF title, but it's not really a bad game. I can have fun with it.

SNK vs Capcom Chaos- The Neo Geo cult pans this as total crap, they nitpick the hell out of the gameplay, balance issues, too little too late, etc. But I still think it's a nice enjoyable game. It's got all the favorite characters, in a game with a KOF feel to it, which is great. And I can have Chun Li on my Neo Geo, that makes the game worth it alone. Granted, I don't actually own it yet, but mark my words, someday I will. (If I can find it for less than $200.00)