Thread: new cab with issues

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default new cab with issues

ok so i got this awesom pow cab for 20.00 and the reason the guy sold me it for so cheap is that the monitor wont come on when i turn it on the monitor sounds like its turning on but its still black but when i turn it off green lines flash off thanks in advance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice! I've got a POW cab like that except no side art and someone crammed a 25" monitor in it. Do you know what model the monitor is (compare to pics of chassis' from http://therealbobroberts.net/monitor.html )? And have you tried turning the flyback "screen" control up? If you turn it up, you should get raster lines (white horizontal angled lines).

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

cool i have the wavy linesand the monitor is on but no picture or sound.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well that's probably good... I'd check your power supply... w/ a multimeter on DC volts, check for +5V especially, and then for +12 and -5. It's likely a dead/unhooked power supply or game board. Either one is easy/cheap to replace.

DogP

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so its the power supply i tested my the pow board in my midnight resistance cab and it played great . the power supply says something about reseting it and im not sure how to do that .also what is the red knob for.
    t
    http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...Picture365.jpg

thank you for the help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm... never heard of "resetting" a power supply. I don't think there's any sort of circuit breaker on those. The red knob is the +5V adjustment knob.

That is a good quality switching power supply (Peter Chou), and it doesn't look that old... have you checked the fuses going to the power supply?

Do you know how to use a multimeter? I'd verify that you have ~115VAC going into the lugs second and third from the bottom. Be very careful though as it is the same 115V coming out of your wall. If you have that, check for +5V DC between the red and black wires.

If you have AC coming into it and no DC coming out, you either need to replace the power supply or there may be a fuse inside that needs replaced (but they don't usually blow for no reason, so it'd probably blow again). If you have no AC, check for a blown fuse somewhere in the cabinet or a loose/broken wire.

If you end up needing a power supply, let me know... I've got LOTS of them and I could test one to make sure it works and send it your way for the cost of shipping (or you can get one from pretty much any arcade place... local or mail order).

If you don't know how to use a multimeter, I'd learn... but if you check all fuses and they all look good, chances are replacing the power supply will fix it, so you could just skip to that step.

DogP

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it finally works im so happy thanks for the power supply

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome... no problem... glad it worked . Now you just need to find a fun game to put in it (yes, I'm saying P.O.W. isn't fun ).

Also, if you know how to use a multimeter, I'd verify the +5V and adjust it (with the knob) if necessary. I verified it was good with my board, but depending on the load, the output voltage will be different. You want it to be about 5.0V to 5.1V. If it's too low you may get some glitches and resetting, and if it's too high you might also get some glitches/resetting, but more likely appear to run fine, but cause the board to overheat and/or burn out chips faster.

If you don't know how to test it, IMO it'd be worth learning, but if you don't want to mess with it, I just wouldn't leave the game running unattended for hours at a time.

DogP

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yea actually i played pow for about 30 min and was pretty disappointed any body here have any good recomedations . i kinda want the ninja turtles turtles in time but i cant find it anywhere