Thread: 360 price drop ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    itsmeFAMOUS

Default 360 price drop ?

Anybody have any speculations when this might happen? Maybe when the PS3 comes out ? Or maybe when the 1 year mark hits?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

March 16th, 2007.

A week before the PS3 (actually) launches.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't know if this is true or not, but it was mentioned on CAG. In a couple weeks, there's supposed to be a new 360 bundle available. Includes a 360 Premium system, 1250 marketplace points, 4 months of Live, and Project Gotham Racing 3. All for $399.

Not a price drop, but it's the next best thing (if true).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the sound of that bundle - although I'd rather they use this to replace the existing platinum bundles, and then put the existing platinum bundles in place of the core system, at the $300 price point.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I, personally, can't see a price drop happening this year. I can, however, see Microsoft releasing one or two good value bundles, roughly around the time of the PlayStation 3 launch. A bundle, in particular, would nicely hammer home just how much more bang you can get for your buck with an Xbox 360.

In addition to this, there will also be a slew of games that will - by the time the PlayStation 3 launches - have seen a number of price reductions. If you're weighing up which console to buy - you might see Ridge Racer 6 on Xbox 360 for $20 (for example) and Ridge Racer 7 on PlayStation 3 for $60 (another example). If you can even find a PlayStation 3 to play it on, that is...

I also remember reading that - apparently - Microsoft are hoping (or, maybe, praying) that they'll start to turn a profit on the console in 2008. So, any price drop so early on wouldn't really help with this. And an early price drop would set a very bad precedent for future reductions, as well.

Besides - it begs the question - would a price drop, possibly in the region of $50 (or whatever), really make the console that much more affordable?

The answer, in my mind, is no.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think there is zero chance of a $100 price drop, so most people think that a price drop has no chance of happening, but I don't understand why everybody feels it has to be a $100 price drop.

I'm thinking that around Late October or Early Nov. we will get a $50 price drop on both packages. The Premium will be $349.99 and the Core will be $249.99. The real key is the core being $249. That puts the core as a serious alternative to the Nintendo Wii. Maybe Microsoft will drop the price a day or two before the Wii is launched.

But in regards to a $100 price drop in 2006, absolutely no chance of that happening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo still has not announced a launch date for the Wii. However, it's been shown that the Wii has been in production since late June. Nintendo could lauch the Wii as early as September if they wanted to. That is too early for Microsoft to do a price drop on the 360. They need to start turning a profit before they can do one. Besides, I don't think that Microsoft is concerned about the Wii.

What I do see is bundles in the near future. I've seen first hand the PGR 360 bundle in Toys R Us' computer system. It's comming. Will we have a $100 price drop for the PS3? I don't think so. Will we have a $50 drop and another great bundle? Possibly. Also, don't forget that Halo 3 is expected near the Sony PS3 launch.

Later,
    Chrome...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I highly doubt it, since why would they need to. Microsoft dosn't see Nintendo as DIRECT competition, and Sony's cheap system is $100 more then Microsoft best system. So there is no reason why they want to, or for that fact have to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome
    What I do see is bundles in the near future. I've seen first hand the PGR 360 bundle in Toys R Us' computer system. It's comming.
    Ahhh, so it IS coming for sure then. That's good to hear. My birthday is at the end of August, so I might be able to squeeze enough Best Buy gift cards out of friends and family to buy one.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to see this especially since I'm in the process of saving up for one. I think it's too early though.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, don't forget that Halo 3 is expected near the Sony PS3 launch.
    ... in March 2007, right? You with me on this?
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crazycarl
    I highly doubt it, since why would they need to. Microsoft dosn't see Nintendo as DIRECT competition, and Sony's cheap system is $100 more then Microsoft best system. So there is no reason why they want to, or for that fact have to.

it's funny, cause I always see this rationale, whenever the 360 is compared with the Wii. "they are going after two different customers", "They aren't competing with each other". Last time I checked, they both play video games, and if they are both in the $250 range, then ultimately, somebody has $250 to spend on a next gen video game system. Why wouldn't they be competing with each other? People only have so much discretionable income to spend, and $250 going towards the Wii or $250 going towards a core 360 makes no difference. Sure the type of gamer that is interested in the Wii might not be interested in the 360 and vice versa, but ultimately, it's all about gaming. Gears of War is going to be a pretty damn compelling game. On one hand, you have a gamer that is all set to buy Zelda (a quickie GameCube port), and a gamer that is going to buy Gears of War. If both systems cost the same, I would think even a Nintendo Fanboy would stop and consider the fact that he could go home with a core 360 and Gears, instead of a Wii and Zelda for the same exact price. Assuming they are both priced at $249.99

Nintendo is playing a cat and mouse game with Microsoft regarding the Wii price. No question about it. They know how easy it would be for MS to drop the price $50 to match the price of the Wii. Ultimately $250 is $250 is $250. If you spend $250 on the Wii, then that isn't $250 that could be spent on a core 360. if you spend $250 on a core 360, that isn't $250 that can go to the Wii. So even if they aren't in direct competition in terms of the type of games, and type of system, they are still ultimately next gen video game systems (some more next-gen than others) that are selling for $249.99. So in that respect, they would be direct competition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mean that's the thing

I've said it before and will say it again it's one of the stupidest things to buy a 360 core

there's no benefit you get from the system, you still have to pay at least a 100 more just to get a good benefit from the system

if I had the choice between the wii or the 360 core for 250.00

the wii would win out no comparison

the 360 core is a waste of money

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Thats been debunked.... unless the PlayStation 3 is launching at the same time the Halo movie is coming out (which is when the game is also suppose to hit. The E3 trailer explicitly shows 2007 at the end. My guess is that it'll be post May.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lothars
    the 360 core is a waste of money
    Perhaps, though, the Core bundle is only a waste of money in comparison to buying the Premium bundle. It may not actually be a waste of money, however, if the only other option is to not buy an Xbox 360. That, after all, would be the real crime

As it has been said before... anyone who is looking to buy a Core bundle - thinking that they'll save a few bucks - is, frankly, deluded. These Core owners will, at some point - sooner rather than later, I suspect - pay over the odds on the various bits and pieces which will elevate them to a Premium customer.

These Core bundles must surely be netting Microsoft a tidy sum, as they must be a significant part of the reason as to why so many accessories have been sold since the launch of the Xbox 360.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lothars

I've said it before and will say it again it's one of the stupidest things to buy a 360 core

there's no benefit you get from the system, you still have to pay at least a 100 more just to get a good benefit from the system

If the core costs $250, and the Wii costs $250, I'm not so sure that it's one of the stupidest things in the world, to buy a core. Sure, the core doesn't come with High Def cables, or with a Hard Drive, but for somebody that is considering buying a Wii, that might not matter that much. Also, by the time the Wii is released, there might be some more 3rd party accessories for the 360, like High Def cables for $9.99 (I've already seen 3rd party ones on sale for $14.99), and maybe even a memory card for much cheaper than $39.99. Also, it's only a matter of time before MS announces a new Hard Drive with at least 5 times the storage capacity of the one in the premium bundle. Core owners will actually be rewarded for their decision when that thing comes out.

Who's to say that the Nintendo Wii will have High Def component cables packed in? I doubt they will, considering Nintendo's stance on High Def, and although the Wii doesn't do high def, if you have a TV that can do 480p, then high def cables for the Wii will be just as mandatory as they are for the 360, in terms of taking full advantage of the systems capabilities. Also, regarding memory cards for the Wii, it's highly doubtful that anything like that will be packed in with the Wii, so we are going to have to buy that seperately too. I'm actually clueless about whether or not we are going to need some type of memory card type thing to save games on the Wii. I'm not sure how they are handling that, but I'm guessing it's something that will have to be purchased seperately.

So when you compare the Wii and a core 360 head to head, they actually are a very valid comparison. Again, $250, is $250, is $250. If you have a extra $250 to spend, and you spend it on a new car stero for your car, then that is $250 that can't be spent on the 360 or Wii. So any gamer that spends $250 on a core 360 or Wii, that's $250 that gamer isn't going to have to spend on the other one, so they definitely will be direct competitors if indeed the Wii is $249.99 and if indeed MS drops the price on the core by $50 to match. Of course, that's an awful lot of "ifs" but still.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu
    Thats been debunked.... unless the PlayStation 3 is launching at the same time the Halo movie is coming out (which is when the game is also suppose to hit. The E3 trailer explicitly shows 2007 at the end. My guess is that it'll be post May.
    I went back and reread the article to double check. I misread it. It was a microsoft rep speaking on the expected shortage of PS3s. He said just as Sony builds up enough consoles to ship out and have a "2nd launch" they will be walking into Halo 3.

Later,
    Chrome...