Thread: DS doesn't work, Rez on PS2 doesn't work . . why for? :(

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DS doesn't work, Rez on PS2 doesn't work . . why for? :(

I'm gonna kill two posts for the price of one here--any insights y'all have will be appreciated!

First off, my Nintendo DS crapped out (the old, big, ugly version.) Whenever I turn it on, it prompts me to input all of the system info (name, date, etc.) At the end of the process, I'm told the system needs to be turned off to save the settings (which is normal), but when I turn the thing back on I'm prompted to once again put in all the bloody settings info.

Has anyone ran into this? A couple of times it even froze at the calendar portion, but I haven't been able to recreate that. My thinking is that there must be an internal battery in the system that has died. Naturally, Nintendo uses funky screws so I can't get in and check it out.

Anyone else heard of or had this problem? Suggestions to fix?

Problem #2:
    I finally picked up a copy or Rez for my PS2. Partly for collector reasons, mostly 'cuz I just wanted to try something funky out.

Lo and behold, I pop it into my machine and get a stupid "Disk Error" or whatever it is. I have NEVER had this issue with any other game. There are no scratches on the disk, other CD based and older games play just fine, and when I pop it in my PC, the PC can see the files on it.

Has anyone heard of Rez having any problems being read? It IS an older PS2 (September of 2000, I think) but like I said . . . I've never had issues before. My thinking is it's a problem specific to Rez and possibly my machine.

And of course this is the one time I forget to save my receipt.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well Rez is one of those "blue" botom Cd as apposed to Dvd's.

Maybe your laser is starting to go out and you just haven't noticed because there aren't many CD PS2 games out there.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

hmm.... Your other blue bottoms all work? I'd think that its starting to get finnicky with just Rez, but that it's about to crap out on the whole lot of those games. I've got an old PS2 and it never had any problems with my copy of REZ.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Blue bottom was my first suspicion too, but I tossed in my copy of Dynasty Warriors 2 which is both old and blue and it loaded fast and happy.

I'll check and see if I have any others and try them just for poos and snickers.

My thinking was that maybe I picked up a Rez reprint and perhaps there are issues with some of those. Just a blind and unlikely shot in the dark, I know. PS2 issues DOES seem like the most likely culprit, but it's odd that only Rez (so far) is effected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of my friends can't play KH on his PS2, and only KH. Blue bottom, Cd, DVD, Dual layer DVD all work on his system, yet for some reason KH doesn't. Maybe your system has the same kind of odd issue with one game in particular?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

i'll give you $5 for the broken rez and $8 for the broken DS

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've had some trouble playing blue bottom PS2 games and PS1 games myself, but i found a quick remedy for that. I noticed when i get the disk read error, i hear a wierd noise comming from my PS2. I noticed that it sound like the disk isn't gripping to the tray good enough when it is spinning. So I put scotch tape around the inner portion of the disk (not where the information is stored though) and it seems to grip the disk better and makes it work about 90% of the time. I don't know if its the same problem but its worth a shot. Just make sure none of the tape is sticking past the inner circle of the disk (where you can hold it with your finger). Just rip off tiny little pieces and place it around that inner part, it works for me and its worth a shot for you if your PS2 is about to "shit the bed".

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was about to say that. some blue bottoms are thiner and lighter than the standard ps2 disc, to fix this you can get premade circular labels, put them on the top the disc around the inner spool, and they'll work fine. The first disc I think I encountered this on was Romance in the 3 kindgdoms 7.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting comments on blue disks being a wee bit thinner and not spinning. Thanks udisi and mailman! That's the kind of insights I was hoping for.

It DID take the PS2 awhile to figure out that it couldn't read the disk--like it was really trying to before giving up. And I did have the fleeting thought that "hmmm . . . . it doesn't sound like the disk is spinning" but for whatever reasons I kind of dismissed that thought. I'll try and thicken that sucker up and see what happens.

Now, how 'bout that DS? Am I the only one lucky enough to have this problem?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Give Nintendo a call about it. It does sound like the interal memory is shot.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You might be right, kieblerfan, I found a site showing the internals of the DS and I saw no watch style battery in there. This could very well be a hardware issue and not a simple fix. Boo!

I was hoping to avoid calling Nintendo (hate dealing with stuff like that), but alas . . . I may have to.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As for Rez, it's possible that the disc itself is off balance. I have a couple of CD PS2 games that won't play in any system because of that. Doesn't take much to throw off the crappy spindle motor inside a ps2

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Rez copy did the same thing, but on the newer PS2, I messed with it for an hour, but kept getting "read disk error".
    I was pissed cause I had my original PS2 apart for repairs.
    3 month later, I tried it again on the newer PS2, this time it loaded fine, I didn't do anything to the PS2 or the disk.
    I'm at a loss to why it worked that time and not the last.
    It still works fine.
    Stupidity got us into this mess......why can't it get us out?
    -Will Rogers-

Play Fair, It's Only A Game!