Thread: possible Resealed NES warning

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default possible Resealed NES warning

Seller - gasgiant1075

Great guy, but not a video game collector - apparently running a consignment business. Talked to him on the phone, turns out the consignor is someone that sold me a reseal in the past. Another collector claims the consignor sold him thousands of dollars worth of reseals in the past.

That much is factual. I suspect the consignor of other shenanigans but its not factual so I'll leave it out.

If I recall correct (and I may not) the consignor's ebay ID was jjd482 and if I recall correctly (again I may not) it went down in a hail of negatives....

I feel bad in a way posting this as gasgiant seems like a stand up guy but I think anyone considering a purchase should have the benefit of knowing the issues around the consignor. I bought a couple items myself before learning who the consignor was. Didn't feel great about the legitimacy of the games from the pictures but decided to take a chance and now regretting. Just want anyone thinking of buying to do so with eyes open.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To gasgiant's further credit, he did say via email that if the buyer felt they were reseals the buyer could return for refund.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Update

Email I sent to gasgiant just now.

Hi Lex,

I received the games just now. I can confirm that they are fake. Apart from inconsistencies in the plastic wrap that I won't get into as it is complicated to explain, these are all resealed in the same way Dailey's previous reseals have been. Namely, light amounts of marker have been used to cover up box imperfections under the plastic and then the games have been rewrapped.

When I send these back to you (which I will be doing pronto) turn the game over so that you are looking at the back of the game. Now at the top back of the game, when a game is opened, stress is typically created there that causes a white crack line in the cardboard. Both of these games have tell tale white crack lines from having been very obviously opened. The crack lines have been touched up with color marker in an attempt to conceal them. Its especially notable on the day dreamin davey as the red marker has bled slightly into the adjoining white space.

I suggest that you take a look at the games in your possession and see if you can try to see what I'm talking about. On super nintendo games, look on the side flaps rather than the top, because the way super nintendo boxes open, the stress gets created on the side flaps. I also suggest you confiscate the games and file a police report. This is not his first time at this (remember he sold me a reseal directly in 2003) and he is attempting, in my opinion, to perpetrate what would amount to thousands of dollars worth of fraud under your name.

Furthermore, I also know of a collector who alleges, and I have every reason to believe, that your consignor sold him thousands of dollars worth of reseals. Now, from the scans I can't be 100% sure obviously, since the crack lines are hidden with marker, but based on the inconsistencies in the plastic that the scans show (plastic too tight in some spots, too loose in others) I would suggest that virtually all of the games are resealed (the pacman/mspacman are probably legit as those are not rare like the others are to find in legit seals). If you go ahead with that I'll be happy to supply contact information for the other collector.

I can understand that you will want to be 100% sure that they are reseals before deciding what action to take. If I can at all spare the time I am going to take pics tonight that will give you an idea where on the game boxes to look. You are also welcome to call me tomorrow if you want further guidance on spotting the marker touch up.

Dan

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dan,

So the ones you bought, were they all reseals? I mean that sqoon he had up looked very convincing, especially with a minty fresh hangtag like that. Anyways, nice work on discovering the reseals.

-Josh

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Qixmaster
    Dan,

So the ones you bought, were they all reseals? I mean that sqoon he had up looked very convincing, especially with a minty fresh hangtag like that. Anyways, nice work on discovering the reseals.

-Josh
    resealed, yes. relatively good reseals but as mentioned above, clearly color touched under the plastic. And while relatively convincing the plastic looks less legit in person also.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

took some pictures... members.shaw.ca/bronty99onebay/dailey . The best pic is probably 1114.jpg. Much easier to see in person but even on the pic you can see the uneveness of the red due to the red color touch bleeding into the white.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the information and please keep us updated. I have learned much just from reading what you have posted so far...
    ~TisLord~

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Clickable link for the lazy people like me hehe

While where on this topic, Nick Morgan (vididiots), a guy who sold resealed games a while ago have now made a guide on how to spot reseals. Check it out

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Clickable link for the lazy people like me

While where on this topic, Nick Morgan (vididiots), a guy who sold resealed games a while ago have now made a guide on how to spot reseals. Check it out
    I will check it out later, and its cool to see him contributing positively but I think he still had a lot to learn at the 'reseal dojo' - as his reseals weren't that good. So I think there are probably some tricks his guide won't cover.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Regardless of what he writes, he's still scum for scamming people.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, not a bad guide! Some things missing, but pretty well done.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spoke to gasgiant on the phone just now. he's floored by all of this but promises a refund. Seems like an upstanding guy, feel sorry for him getting dragged into this

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'll be damned...

people are scum. I am so glad that someone here is damn knowledgable about the subject.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sucks that there's always assholes like this in an any hobby whether its trimmed baseball cards, restored (without disclosure) comic books, reglued action figure bubbles, etc. Always some jerk trying to rip people off as soon as there's enough money involved.

I'm glad I collected comic books for a long time - looking for color touch is pretty much an automatic habit for me... its paid off a couple times.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior

Yup. He's selling again under that new account.
    CLICK ME.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This post makes me want to double check all my sealed snes games. Oh man i hope i don't find any reseals.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CLICK ME.
    does he really have 2 copies of stadium events? One for sale alone, and one included in a lot.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu
    Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior

CLICK ME.
    But no reseals. The only sealed game thats there is the Zelda game for N64. If he wanted to reseal and scam again he would do it with the other mint games he have out right now too.

Mills: I doubt he have 2 copies of SE. It seems there was cheap listing on Ebay recently.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FOOL ME ONCE SHAME ON YOU

FOOL ME TWICE SHAME ON ME

Once destitute and unable to purchase the Nintendo games he desired, he has since been able to amass a sizable collection. In his footprints are the remnants of more than one screen name so tell me how you can tell no other frauds have been sold by his hand.

--THE MIGHTY MAGNOR

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bronty, I just did a thorough scan of my sealed games and noticed that some of them actually do have a very thin white line going across the side flaps. But at the same time I can guarantee these are factory seals as some of these were purchased from a flea market or a video store and not on ebay. The games that have the white line are Primal Rage, Killer Instinct, Mark Davis the Fishing Master, Doom Troopers, and Ballz 3D. Now these games are not worth much but I don't think someone would go through the trouble of resealing them for nothing.

I also believe that even if a genuine factory sealed game doesn't have the white line there's still a chance that a line may slowly appear over the years due to age or simply dust entering through the vent holes. It's hard to say I find that even if the white line is there that it's 100 percent resealed. Take me KI for example, it has a very thin white line on the flap crease yet I bought these from the factory box that contained 6 pcs of them.

Is there any way you could point out to me if a white line is present that it may still be a factory seal, or should I just open up my KI and find out?? Let me know.

Thanks,
    Jord