Thread: Sega CD - Heart of the Alien - Is this a genuine seal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega CD - Heart of the Alien - Is this a genuine seal?

Today at a local gameshop I encountered a sealed copy of Heart of the Alien. I think it's factory sealed, but I'm not sure. The shop I bought it at does not reseal games (99% of their classic games are not sealed) and the clerk said that he expects its a factory seal - but what do they know?

First off, I'll note that there are two cracks in the plastic case. One on the front of the case, the other on the back. Also, there are a few small rips in the plastic seal on the back of the case. There is a seal seam going around the outside of the case on every side but the top. Stuck to the top of the back of the case is the remnants of what used to be a plastic display loop.

I've taken a few pictures of the case - could someone confirm whether they expect its a genuine seal or a reseal?

If it is a genuine seal - is there any value to a sealed Heart of the Alien? (the online rarity guide is down )

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my very non-professional opinion, it looks factory sealed. I'm not an authority by any means, but it looks legitimate enough. Considering complete, mint copies go for $30-35, I would imagine a factory sealed copy would command a premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by secretvampire
    In my very non-professional opinion, it looks factory sealed. I'm not an authority by any means, but it looks legitimate enough. Considering complete, mint copies go for $30-35, I would imagine a factory sealed copy would command a premium.
    Since its got a few cracks in the case, and smalll rips in the plastic, would it be worth more if I were to remove the seal and put it into a mint casing? My tomcat alley case is flawless. Or would it make more sense just to keep it in the plastic seal and eBay the sucker, then buy a replacement copy of HotA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have over 70 sealed Sega CD games myself so I have a good idea of what it should look like. I would expect that the game in the pictures is factory sealed. Reasons:

1. The seams are correct

2. It has the hanging tag

The only reason I would be suspicious is that the plastic seems a bit loose, but that happens. I wouldn't open it unless you don't care much about sealed games. I'd trade you my mint copy of OOTW and pay for all shipping instead of you opening it. If you want to play the game, download and burn it.

Of course if there was a good enough reason to fake a sealed game, it could be done rather easily. All you need is the right shirkwrap machine to make the correct seams and a mint game. You can't really tell unless you open it, and possibly not even then.