Thread: where to find c64/c128 emu and roms

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default where to find c64/c128 emu and roms

hey-

could someone direct me to a reputable sight for this emu and some roms? the link here at DP seems to have too much traffic or something because i have been trying for days to load that page!

thanks in advance!
    steve

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Emulator..

The best IMHO is Vice. Not only does it emulate the C64, but the C128, Vic-20, Pet, and CBM. Incredible emulator with great compatibility and speed:

http://viceteam.bei.t-online.de/

As for games, can someone lead him to a site? I really only download them from newsgroups, and I ended up with a few GB of games this way!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hey zektor (and the rest, too),

while i have your attention, can i ask 2 more quick questions? first, will the vice emu allow the use of other c64/128 software (specifically commodore BASIC development tools)? it would seem that it would have to, but... just asking becuase i thought it might be a hoot to play with basic again after the couple of years of object oriented education i have been getting. never thought i would miss spaghetti coding, lol!

secondly, assuming i can find a 5" disk drive compatible with my current system, can i just grab files from my large stack of games/software and play those as-is with the emu?

man, this wouldn't even be an issue if my dang c128 hadn't developed an annoying short. and while i am pretty good at the keyboard, i am a menace with a soldering iron, lol.

thanks again!
    steve

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenpuppet
    hey zektor (and the rest, too),

while i have your attention, can i ask 2 more quick questions? first, will the vice emu allow the use of other c64/128 software (specifically commodore BASIC development tools)?
    You should be able to play any and all C64/128 software. If they don't work, it's either because they depended on hardware dongle (usually anti-piracy trick of old day) or they used really weird and unorthodox programming scheme not supported by the emulator.

secondly, assuming i can find a 5" disk drive compatible with my current system, can i just grab files from my large stack of games/software and play those as-is with the emu?
    There is a way to hook up plain vanilla C64 disk drive to the PC and dump the disk so it could be used with emulator. I'd recommend Star Commander.

man, this wouldn't even be an issue if my dang c128 hadn't developed an annoying short. and while i am pretty good at the keyboard, i am a menace with a soldering iron, lol.

thanks again!
    steve
    Where you live? If you're in Michigan, there's quite a lot of us in Michigan and a few of us can try and fix the C128 for you (for a fee plus part if needed)

As for the file to download, I could suggest ftp://arnold.c64.org/ It's one of the biggest archive around and if a program you're looking for isn't there, try using Google (for example ultima c64 download usually gives you a few sources where you can download Ultima)
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hey guys!

thanks for all the terrific help! i have found and downloaded the emu, found some cool roms, and tested everything out! again, i really apreciate it.

by the way, here's a nifty site i found for roms

www.classicgaming.com/area64/

so, the last thing i need for my life to be complete... anyone know where i can find text files (instructions) for c64 games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyImpmon
    There is a way to hook up plain vanilla C64 disk drive to the PC and dump the disk so it could be used with emulator. I'd recommend Star Commander.

Where you live? If you're in Michigan, there's quite a lot of us in Michigan and a few of us can try and fix the C128 for you (for a fee plus part if needed)
    really? can you give me some more info on what/where/how to hook a c64 DD to my pc? that would be AWESOME! also, what do you mean, exactly, by "dumping?

unfortunately i am in new mexico, can't get much farther from michigan, actually

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

http://www.c64.com/

Great place for C64 roms and emulators.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Disc images!!!

ROMs on the C64 = cartridges... which is why everyone gets so confused usually when trying to find C64 stuff...

Anyhow... http://project64.ath.cx is the place to go for the largest set of instructions. No way near all of them, but most of the popular stuff.

If you actually want C64 cartridges, then I suggest the download page on my own site for them http://www.mayhem64.co.uk/download.htm