Thread: Video game stores in New York

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Video game stores in New York

I dont know if this is the right place to ask this question, but I was wondering if there were any good places for classic video games in New York. I am currently in the Binghamton area but I might be taking a short trip to the city, so if you know of anything please share.

Thanks.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just in NYC a month and a half ago and I visited 3 stores.

J&L Games in Chinatown is great! They have a pretty good selection of import stuff. Not a lot of really old stuff, but some good stuff none the less. Staff was very helpful and friendly.

The Nintendo World Store is very impressive, even if it is a lot smaller than I had hoped. It's a must see even if you aren't a huge Nintendo fan.

The last one is what used to be Multimedia 1.0 (now Video Games NYC or something like that). They have a great selection and are VERY proud of it. Their prices are somewhere north of 5-10 times ebay on anything remotely rare or interesting. The staff was downright rude while I was in there. They seemed more interested in whatever game they were playing at the time and any questions I asked were treated like I was interrupting something of dire importance. My advice is to stay far away from this place.

Strawberry (Level 2) JerseyDevil65's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't mand taking a 20 minute drive, you could visit the DP store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil65
    A MUCH better option than ANY of the stores in NYC. Game shopping in NYC is dead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil65
    A MUCH better option than ANY of the stores in NYC. Game shopping in NYC is dead.
    It's not dead, just outrageous. Videogames NY (formerly MM 1.0) is a great place to look but as noted above, far too expensive. Same with J&L.

The DP store is a solid bet for classics and domestic stuff, you can trust that Joe isn't going to sell you anything but the best.

I'd only suggest J&L and VGNY if you're looking for imports and don't mind paying way too much. There are a couple other places around but they're really not necessary considering the net gives us so many choices.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As stated above, you'll end up paying way too much at any decent NYC store. Videogames NY is worth checking out just to see the large selection, but it's all overpriced.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do yourself a favor and go to DP. I am from NYC and would rather drive to New Jersey and not get ripped off (anymore) at games NYC A.K.A. St. Marks games A.K.A. Multimedia 1.0. DP Really know there stuff. They do not mind answering your questions, unlike the video game snobs you encounter in most stores. I will never need to find another store

LONG LIVE DIGITAL PRESS !!!
    Mark

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The Nintendo World Store is fun to check out even if you don't buy anything, but other that that, there isn't much in the way of game hunting to do in NYC (unless, as others said, you want to get thoroughly ripped off). I only go hunting when I'm visiting family in Washington state. In NYC, other than a once in a blue moon GameStop purchase, I pretty much do all my buying online. It kinda sucks, but that's just the way it is.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Binghamton's a college town (city?) I would figure there'd be tons of places to find games, tho Ithaca might be a better bet. But if you're willing to drive to NYC why not drive to Rochester, bout the same distance just in the other direction, there's like half a dozen gamestops and EB's in the Roch area (1 of each in each of the 3 malls, and a couple stand-alone stores), plus numerous numerous numerous independant game stores in the greater rochester area not to mention a bunch of goodwills, V.O.A.'s, and salvo's, and of course pawn shops. And even a store that specializes in Anime (and 3 stores that specialize in non-electronic gaming)
    Which if you look hard enough is probably similiar to what you'll find in Binghamton or Ithaca.
    Happy Hunting

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I herd J&L Games has Neo-Geo games in display to buy. It's a good idea only to go in the shop, but not a good idea to buy anything from there (or so what I herd).