Thread: Will XBLA & console DL-able games kill retro compilation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Will XBLA & console DL-able games kill retro compilation

Sorry if this topic was addressed, didn't see it.

Do you think that Xbox live arcade and the new downloadable game services on ps3, psp, and Wii will totally kill great (imho) compilation discs like Capcom Classics, Taito Legends, Activision Anthology, Midway Arcade Treasures, etc. ? Seems like bad financial sense to sell these for 12 or more on disc for $20 when you can make $5 or more per game over a DL service.

While I know and agree that there will always be emulation issues with using alternate hardware, I LOVE many of these comps and the accessability they offer. Even with a large (1500+) collection of pre 32-bit titles in my collection, I love firing up the Activision Anthology and saving wear-and-tear on my copies of Seaquest. And every time these comps come out (like the sega genny one coming soon for PS2) I look forward as much to those as major releases- sitting back and cycling through many games I probably wouldn't give much or anything for as individual titles, but very worthwhile as a compendium of old games.

What do you think?
    Mekka-lekka hi, mekka-hinney-hoh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I think it's only a good thing. A lot of the retro compilations were lazy ports. This way you pay for what you want and don't get stuck with a disc half-full of 'lost classics' that should have stayed lost.

On the downside, a few of these compilations did it right and had nice interviews with development staff and other bonuses on them. Those are great and it'll be a shame to see those go, but by and large I consider the 'classic compilation' genre a lazy and half-assed one.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Unfortunately, slackur, I was just thinking about that myself not too long ago, and I'm afraid you may be right. I like hard copies, and don't like having to download games personally, no matter what they are (same thing with music). Paying for downloads seems to me to be like buying a piece of air, and the day I must download will probably be the day I stop buying games. It is nice to save wear and tear on old classics like you said, but I'm definitely not going to pay for simply ROMs of games I already own.

On the bright side, because the gaming companies won't have to manufacture hard copies of those old games on compilations and keep games "in print", we may see a lot more games actually get released via download than would ever have been available otherwise due to lack of demand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I worry about that too since I love these classic game collections that we've been seeing since the 32 bit era. I bet they disappear when companies can get 5 bucks for things such as Defender and Pac-Man by themselves. And who will risk 5 dollars a game for 30 titles if they don't know the names of half of them, will mean most stuff probably won't ever make an appearance besides big titles such as Ms. Pac-Man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you everything was on xboxla you wouldnt have to leave home ever again.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I'm the same way about hard copies. I will always want the real disc/plastic/etc. over a rom-only version. I like the look, the feel, of a shelf collection, and it makes me want to play games just looking at a large collection. Plus, on these retro comps, I get to explore games I've either never heard of, or never could find to play, titles that would be hard to spend a few dollars on each one to take a chance.
    Mekka-lekka hi, mekka-hinney-hoh