Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple & Nintendo Design

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really see an issue with this, as I like both companies. I think that style is very important. Nothing wrong with designing a shell first, instead of just making an enclosure which will hold all the guts.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Indeed. I bet you can do this with every product if you have enough time. Just browse and browse until you find something that looks simular. There are so incredible many products out there so your bound to run into something that looks alike. I wouldnt compare smooth curves etc. It must have been something that you could mistaken for being something else.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^^outstanding English

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

NEWS FLASH:

APPLE RIPS OFF GRiD COMPUTER DESIGN

GRiD Compass, c. 1982. First laptop in space

Apple //c, c. 1984

I guess when Apple sees something good they take it! In fact, if the information on old-computers.com is right, Apple should've been paying a fee for using the clamshell computer design. (Right, because we know that the style of a case is more innovative than the product's actual features?)

Back to the topic at hand...those products have a similar design philosophy, true, but neither Apple nor Nintendo originated that current design fad. I'm not a fashion expert ( ), but common sense informs us that you can walk into any computer or electronics store and see other products with similar lines, from laptops to iPod ripoffs.

In fact the Toshiba Satellite laptops look a lot like the old PowerBooks as well. Coincidence? Maybe people don't want their computers to look like the Shrike.

Apple certainly deserves accolades for their design and marketing genius, but those aspects aren't as important as functionality. If finding obvious parallels between devices (i.e. they both have a case, they both have an LCD screen, they both fold in half, they both use the top part of the shell to put a logo in, like any other laptop maker) is your idea of a good time, be my guest. But you haven't proven squat.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^they both use the exact same materials on both the inside and out. Nintendo somehow decides to use the exact same 6 colors to make varients to their N64 line....

It's funny how you guys think that I am trying to condemn one company. I AM MERELY COMPARING THE DESIGN ASPECTS BETWEEN TWO COMPANIES....can you guys read and understand that?

obviously not...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Alright, I'll take you at your word. Apple leads the market when it comes to style, but they haven't always

Oh, and by the way, the colored N64s came out after the multiple color iMacs. Apple did lead the way with that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can admit that I see some similarities. Not in all but in some. Hey, Apple makes some great looking products and look at the wave they sent throughout the design industry. How many things resemble Apple designs? Quite a few.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love both companies. So I'm glad to see them with the same kind of design features. Especially Nintendo's new look. Or Apple's current style.

The PowerMac G4 Cube pretty much converted me to the Mac, even though I got an iMac as my actual computer. (Cubes were so expensive, which is why they didn't last.) Now I have a G4 Mac mini which is pretty much the spiritual successor to the original Cube. Just smaller. (Amazing when the Cube came out people didn't think they could make it any smaller.)

I love my DS Lite. It's a beautiful device. It just is. And the Wii will look just as good when it comes out. I can't wait. I like my electronics to be both functional AND beautiful. And Apple and Nintendo seem to have that in the bag.

I'll toss this out there though too, I do kinda like the 360's look. It's a hell of a lot nicer than the older Xbox.

If it works and looks good, by all means. My TV looks awesome and works great. My Comcast DVR looks blah and works like shit. So does my 5.1 surround system. Looks ugly and isn't all that good. Seems that if a company is going to make a good product they will put a little effort into making it actually look nice too. Otherwise they'll just half-ass it all the way.

Cést la vie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...asc&highlight=

heckam......the cosmos are traveling around my theory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Scary, I remember Oob's and Poloplayr's posts, but not yours.