Thread: The new and upcoming Atlus GBA games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The new and upcoming Atlus GBA games

Due to another thread in this forum, I learned of the three new Gameboy Advance games that Atlus just released (Super Robot Taisen, Summon Night, and Battle B-Daman), and since the games sounded pretty cool and I generally like Atlus games (coupled with the fact that late release games on any system wind up being hard to find), I thought I'd pick them up.

I live in St. Louis, and we have a very good assortment of corporate chain video game stores, smaller chain video game stores, and one-off specialty video game stores. Between all of these options, only the GameStops/EBs got Super Robot Taisen and Summon Night (one Game Crazy had one copy of Summon Night, which is where I bought mine; I like to avoid GS/EB when possible), and out of probably around 50 GS/EBs in the area, only three got even a single copy of Battle B-Daman. As I said earlier, I picked up Summon Night already because it looks like a given that I will like it, but have hesitated on buying Super Robot Taisen and Battle B-Daman, mostly because I've been spending too much on video games lately and neither of those two have been getting quite the stellar reviews that Summon Night has received (although GameSpot was rather favorable re: Super Robot Taisen). So, my question is, has anybody played Battle B-Daman or Super Robot Taisen?

And this isn't to mention that Atlus is releasing sequels to both Summon Night and Super Robot Taisen in the next couple of months; I love that they haven't given up on the Gameboy Advance yet.
    Feedback thread here

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Super Robot Wars is very, very fun. But it looks ... Well, you know how games are fan-translated and that many are really shoddy?

SRW:OG is crappy.

The game is fine, and quite fun. The dialogue doesn't seem too bad. But the menus? Imagine having to look at menus that are made out of five or six HALF-WIDTH letters! They had six months to work with the game. Six months. And they couldn't even FIX THE FREAKING MENUS. :\
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i forgot to grab a copy of super robot i shud really
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll probably get all three eventually since I'm collecting Atlus games now, but I think Summon Night will be the first buy.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw these and was wondering how "rare" they would be; are they limited in number, or are there a bunch of copies available at most stores. I know the gamestop near me had a decent amount of copies of both summoner and super robot. But I was curious if these could end up on the rare side.
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by segagamer4life
    I saw these and was wondering how "rare" they would be; are they limited in number, or are there a bunch of copies available at most stores. I know the gamestop near me had a decent amount of copies of both summoner and super robot. But I was curious if these could end up on the rare side.
    I think it's pretty likely that these three games will wind up rare, especially Battle B-Daman, which absolutely no one seems to have. Too bad it is supposedly the worst game of the three. And then Yggdra Union, Summon Night 2, and Super Robot Taisen 2 will probably be all the rarer when they eventually come out.

And yeah, I've totally been on an Atlus kick lately. I think it has something to do with Contact coming out, which looks really awesome, and I've also really been enjoying the vastly underappreciated Steambot Chronicles. I'm trying to track down a copy of Thousand Arms, which I missed the first time around, but it keeps selling higher than I want to pay. But yeah, anyway, since I started this thread I picked up Battle B-Daman, so now the only new GBA Atlus game I need is Super Robot Taisen, which I almost bought, but the store I was at only had a floor copy and I wanted a sealed one (something tells me that between Disgaea 2 coming out and my having a pile of newly acquired and awesome Saturn games, I won't get around to these for a while, and I'd like to have sealed copies in case I forget about them because it's dumb to have open copies of games you haven't played before).

If I go on a trip or get tired of console games and decide to break out Summon Night or Battle B-Daman, I'll be sure to post what I think of them.
    Feedback thread here

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Over the past few years Atlus went from a publisher I like to being one of my favorite game companies ever, up there with SNK.

That said, I seriously doubt any of their GBA stuff will ever become rare if you just want the cartridge (I even get a Double Dragon Advance traded in now and then).

Complete or sealed though, good luck.

Of the three GBA games the original poster mentioned, I think Summon Knight will be the tough to get one. This area at least seems to be getting replenished on the others pretty regularly.

I haven't played B-Daman yet but I can say right now that Summon Knight is delightful. Great translation and the combat is very addictive. It's not often that I like a game that's completely built around grinding like this one is.

The combat is sort of like Tales of Phantasia or the Archfiend battles in Sword of Vermillion. Goes to a side view with nicely sized sprites for a GBA game. The weapons are broken down into different varieties that each give you a different combo/alternate move and have variable attributes depending on what materials you forge them with. Outside of combat it's the typical overhead RPG stuff with some fetch quests, talk to everyone in the town and then go deeper into the dungeon, etc. Chibi Diablo. I love it.

Of the upcoming stuff, Summon Knight 2 and Yggdra Union will be the tough ones to get later on. Rivieria we still have sealed in a couple of the stores here.