Thread: Sealed Genesis games - all have hangtabs?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sealed Genesis games - all have hangtabs?

I recently got a supposedly factory sealed copy of E-Swat but somehow I think it's a reseal. Aside from the fact that the shrinkwrap is done differently than my other Genny games, the hangtab is missing so the shrinkwrap covers the entire box. Normally there's that hole on top around the hangtab. Is this common? Are there Genesis games that came out new without hangtabs?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't know for sure, I'm not the biggest Sega collector in the world, but I can't remember ever seeing any that lacked a hang-tab. Obviously, it's not uncommon to see used Sega games without them, but all the Master System and Genesis/Mega Drive games that I bought new have them, and any that lack them were clearly removed by someone. Look at the case closely. Does it look like the tab was removed?

As far as the shrinkwrap, I can't remember if any lacked the whole on the top, but that seal doesn't sound right.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, it doesn't look like the tab was removed at all. I have several used Genesis games where it looks like someone either cut it off or pulled it off and you can tell because there is a break in the plastic. In this case, it looks like it was never put in because there is just the little recess for the tab but no breaks at all. And the wrap, while different from my other games, still looks like a factory wrap - it's very nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rarebucky
    No, it doesn't look like the tab was removed at all. I have several used Genesis games where it looks like someone either cut it off or pulled it off and you can tell because there is a break in the plastic. In this case, it looks like it was never put in because there is just the little recess for the tab but no breaks at all. And the wrap, while different from my other games, still looks like a factory wrap - it's very nice.
    E-SWAT is an early release game released by Sega themselves, it should have a tab.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Assuming you're going to open the game, then the best indicator would be to open the cartridge and look at the contacts. Even if they've been cleaned, they should still show some indication if the cart has been used.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not opening the game - that's why I want to know if this is factory sealed or not Does anyone have any games that they know are factory sealed that don't have tabs?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

All the ones I bought new have hang-tabs, and from what I've read, the only Sega releases that lacked them were the Japanese Mega Drive games. So, unless you bought that E-Swat new from a retail store yourself (which I'm guessing you didn't), I'd say it's probably a reseal. Either way, it's not worth much.