Thread: Any B.O.B fans here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Any B.O.B fans here?

I really enjoyed this 1993 platform blaster from EA. I read years back the Genesis version is better, but having played both I much prefer the SNES version which has better graphics, sound and control.

Me and a fellow DP member laughed months back, that the DP guide describes B.O.B as such:

B.O.B. stands for ???. We wish we could tell you, DP fans. The box, manual, and game itself make no mention of what the acronym stands for. If you can solve this mystery, the DP forums want to hear from you. An interesting, but dull, side scrolling action puzzler.

We laughed at the fact that we couldn't figure out "how does one be interesting YET dull at the same time?" I mean, isn't that an oxymoron?

Anyway, it's not really a puzzler. It's more of an action shooter/blaster, though some levels the exit is very tricky to find, so maybe I am just nit-picking here.

SNES gamers don't overlook this title. I was very surprised by how well it looked and played. It's fairly hard later in the game, but nothing you can't overcome with some repetition and memorization. I give this game a hearty 8/10.

Anyone else played B.O.B would like to give their thoughts on it? Honestly, call me crazy but if DOOM were a 2D side scrolling action game... I imagine it'd be like B.O.B -- from the 7 different weapons (from B.O.B's fist to the Wave shot -- essentially the BFG of the game) and the 3 planets B.O.B must beat.... it reminds me a bit of Doom crossing... Megaman...

I recommend it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

man that game has a big box.....throws off my whole row
    http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?&o...it&&lid=100018 wanna check my stuff out.......holla

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BIGMIKE
    man that game has a big box.....throws off my whole row
    You're talking about the Genesis or SNES? I never saw the box size before. How much bigger is it, and... pray tell, why? Did it come packaged with something special? Other than the Robocop vs. Terminator hardshell box for SNES, I didn't know there were any other "special" boxes.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He must be talking about the Genesis version. Most of the EA games for Genesis had really weird sized cases. They were all either half as thick or almost twice as thick as a regular Genesis case. It made sense for their RPG's, as the manuals were thick little books with hard spines, but they must've had a ton of extra thick cases that they needed to find a use for after they stopped making RPG's, and they ended up being used for games like BOB. Rolo had a really thick case too. No apparent reason for it, just extra thick.

As for BOB, I always loved the game. One of the better EA non-sports titles. I'm surprised that it never got a sequel.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    As for BOB, I always loved the game. One of the better EA non-sports titles. I'm surprised that it never got a sequel.
    Good call on the EA/GEN thing... I totally forgot their cases were thicker than the norm. Yeah, after playing BOB I was kinda like "what? no sequel?" But I guess the game never took off. Probably a lack of advertising and it might have came out at a tough time (Super Mario All Stars anyone?)

But BOB is really cool don't underestimate this "bodacious" alien teen 'bot. He can shoot up, crawl, and doesn't get Rush to give himself helpful powerups like flying and super jumping. He's no Megaman, but he can do stuff the blue wonder could only dream of.

If I could have made a sequel I would make bigger levels (outdoor levels too), more enemies, better control and everything just get bigger and better. But it's really fun platformers like this that attracted me back to the SNES. Plus the game has a great sense of humor. "Ch-ch-ch-check it out, go ahead!" (Little Monsters fans will get the reference there)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah he's talking about the Genesis version which was in one of those uber-cases like Shadow of the Beast II. SNES version is in a standard case.

Great game also. I remember it was a fairly big deal when it was brand new. Lots of poster marketing and magazine hype. Another failed mascot attempt these companies love to make every few years.

The game is very fast paced for an SNES game (though it can't touch stuff like Contra III or Axelay), I still play it now and then today. If I recall right it flopped pretty hard critically since it was dismissed as just another SNES/Genesis platformer. It was associated with stuff like ten billion generic SNES platformers that exist that have huge floaty jumps and tons of "gems" to collect everywhere. Dismissed as pedestrian and derivitive when it is in fact a pretty fun refinement of this type of game (especially for the SNES, which has a ton of horrid examples of this type of game).

Man I remember one of the old posters said what B.O.B. stands for, but I can't remember what it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a decent game, I like the crouching and ways of shooting because games like Megaman lacked that back then. I wouldn't say there's anything too special about it but it has it's fun.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Rasa
    Great game also. I remember it was a fairly big deal when it was brand new. Lots of poster marketing and magazine hype. Another failed mascot attempt these companies love to make every few years.

The game is very fast paced for an SNES game (though it can't touch stuff like Contra III or Axelay), I still play it now and then today. If I recall right it flopped pretty hard critically since it was dismissed as just another SNES/Genesis platformer. It was associated with stuff like ten billion generic SNES platformers that exist that have huge floaty jumps and tons of "gems" to collect everywhere. Dismissed as pedestrian and derivitive when it is in fact a pretty fun refinement of this type of game (especially for the SNES, which has a ton of horrid examples of this type of game).

Man I remember one of the old posters said what B.O.B. stands for, but I can't remember what it is.

Awesome post, old pal. Interesting on that last quote, FWIW a magazine opened a B.O.B. review by stating

"first off I have no idea what BOB stands for, the manual/box does not say, and when I called the makers they had no answer for me as well."

Kinda odd don't you think?

I just call him Big Old Bastard, lol. He IS big -- check out his size compared to other "mascots" and such.

Anyway, I have to disagree with you a little bit. It's more of the slow action game. Sure you can go running through the levels blasting all to high hell, but it's a sure fire way to die and the game's levels are programmed to take it step by small step.

Magazine wise, it got mixed reviews. GamePro called it "BOB has all the cool moves and gagdets which put it robotic heads and shoulders above other Super NES platformers."

EGM gave it 7, 7, 5, 5.

Not sure about GameFan. If anyone can dig that up, I'd appreciate it. Knowing GF though, I'd guesstimate low 80's....

<< Dismissed as pedestrian and derivitive when it is in fact a pretty fun refinement of this type of game (especially for the SNES, which has a ton of horrid examples of this type of game). >>

Agree 100%. People who overlooked this game, look again. I beat it in 7 days and it just hooked me into it. I can't explain it but I *JUST HAD* to beat the next subset of levels. And it was difficult but never SO frustrating that I quit.

Ever beat the game, anyone? Last boss is tough but they give you enough wrenches (health) and shields to make it out OK.