Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: are xbox 360s STILL

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default are xbox 360s STILL

is anyone here STILL getting 360s that are freezing up on them and giving them the 3 red lights of death and chaos? I've had mine since last November and it JUST died on me. I want to know if anyone else has had thier system work since around launch time and is having thier systems die on them too. I went to the official Xbox forums and there are plenty of people still having thier systems die on them. Not only that, but the big kick in the ass is M$ is charging $140 for every system they need to fix. In addition, people are getting thier "fixed systems" back just to have them mess up again with the same problems. A whole bunch of people are claiming that Dead Rising and Saints Row are killing thier systems, but I don't think its those games fault at all, lots of people have claimed system failure around Aug. 29th give or take a week. Has this happened to anybody else at all recently?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Even though I posted extensively in your other thread, I'm just chiming in to say that I had a launch system, and it died on me in early/mid August.

And mine did not receive a lot of play, at least not as much as most folks.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well...thank god I haven't had any 360 problems.

I'm convinced that the only reason why has something to with the fact I haven't bought one yet.

Seriously though, I've heard that also about Dead Rising and Saint's Row. Basically the game is just pushing the system more than others, making the processor work harder, causing more heat...

Seen alot on the net, and had one guy I actually know have it happen. More than a few of my friends want to play Dead Rising badly but won't because they are afraid of what will happen. How sad is that? You have to pick and choose what game to play or risk screwing up your system? Bleh...
    That's just what I wanted you to think with your soft, human brain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with dead rising or saints row at all. I think it may have something to do with either A) a poorly made system or B) something that is downloadable on xbox live market place. I have dead rising and didn't run into problems with that game or the system. It wasn't until after I took Dead Rising out to play other games (like my last thread about Oblivion) that I started having problems with the system. The most trouble I've had with the system was trying to play a game and download something at the same time. tried playing Oblivion and download the Just Cause demo...thats when it started. Called the 1800-4my-xbox number and they told me to do all this unplugging or cables and hard drives and that got the system working for a few days, then tried downloading another thing on the marketplace while playing Enchanted Arms, and then the system froze and now I can't play it for more than 10 minutes without it dying on me. So the only pattern I've noticed (besides the checkerboard pattern that comes up on my screen when it freezes now) is that each time I downloaded a large file and played a game at the same time killed it even more. But I'm still leaning more towards the 360s being built to break so that M$ can cash in on us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Default Re: are xbox 360s STILL

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666
    Not only that, but the big kick in the ass is M$ is charging $140 for every system they need to fix.
    That's a bit of an exaggeration...not everyone has to pay $140. Not to beat a dead horse here, but the MS extended warranty is $59.90 and covers 2 years (+ 90 days).

My original 360 was purchased in February, crashed in July. Received it back in August and have had no problems since (we'll see what the future holds). I've also played Dead Rising quite a bit and never noticed a problem.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

oops, i did forget to mention that without a warrenty, thats how much it costs to get fixed. But in some articles I've read, MS has said that 5% of the systems had to be fixed or replaced, but I'm starting to think that if they re-tally those numbers, it would lead to be a hell of a lot more than that, as to how much I'm not quite sure. I guess i'm just feeling like I'm being screwed by them and when I see that so many others have had thier systems break, it just makes me a bit more frustrated because its almost as if MS has some money making tricks up thier sleeves that some people may not even realize. Its almost as if the xbox 360 is like owning an American muscle car. It's nice to own and performs well, but hope that you've got some money set aside because it will cost you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This is why you get the 2 year 50$ warrenty.

Why not?

I myself had ONE crash and it killed my 360, but they took it back NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

My new one hasn't done ONE thing.

I also bought the 2 year after my original warrenty expired, I feel so much better now

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nik
    That's a bit shitty if it hasn't worked at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

I also had problems when I got dead rising, my system would shut down and I had the three blinking lights. I also had the intercooler attached but when I removed the intercooler it has not happened since also had no problems with my system at all it is still off my system and it is working fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No problems with mine (yet), and I've played both Saint's Row and Dead Rising pretty extensively. However, a coworker is currently on his *fourth* system -- a combination of placing the system in a location with poor airflow, and playing 'problematic' games like Chromehounds seems to be the cause of his problems.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My system froze up once on me with Dead Rising. A few times with Chromehounds, but that was more network/dashboad issues than in-game stuff. Not that it matters, but I have the intercooler.

I haven't had any hard drive or similarly serious crashing problems. It's only a matter of time. One year, three, seventeen. Who knows?
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...asc&highlight=

Not sure if that will work, funny that you post this though. My refurbished 360 is in the "shop" right now. It cost me $96 to get it repaired, was $125 but they knocked some off. I was just outside warranty when mine died. Worked fine then one day stuck COA2 back in, downloaded latest patch then freeze then blam 3 rings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got mine in July and it's never gotten too hot, It has only froze on one game and that was Prey.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

Why not?

I myself had ONE crash and it killed my 360, but they took it back NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

I also bought the 2 year after my original warrenty expired, I feel so much better now

I think thats a bunch of bullshit. When I buy something brand new I expect it to last longer than a couple of months. I guess I am just crazy like that. HAVING to buy a warranty because you know the 360 is going to take a shit is complete crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well in Australia the failure rate on the launch consoles was
    close to a whopping 50% well above the 5% threshold for
    consumer electronics in this country, Infact as a store manager
    that was around for the PS2 launch I can honestly say that the
    360 problem rate pisses all over the PS2 rate, that my friends
    is saying something!

And MS are such a pain in the ass as a retailer too, If you buy
    a sony product from me and within 30 days it dies I just give
    you a new one and Sony sends me a new console, no hastle at all.
    Ms on the other hand requires the customer to contact them and
    make sure they are not a dumb shit and they are pressing the right
    buttons, then they give them an RA number, the customer
    must then take the console back to place of purchase,
    after that the retailer then must contact MS and go through the
    exact same BS the customer went through, after that then
    we have to contact our MS distribution people and ask for a
    Return Authorisation and WAIT till they send me a new console
    to replace the damaged one.

Biggest load of BS ever, well maybe only second to Nintedo's
    return policy here in Australia, another story for another time.

Its funny though after talking to reps and other retailers here
    in Aus, most of them are going to push PS3 more for the simple
    fact they are easier to deal with as a company here, I mean WTF?
    this is sony, they might not offer much customer support but
    it still beats the competition
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my 360 on launch day at Best Buy. Still have it, but I had problems with Perfect Dark Zero and Chrome Hounds, where random polygons would show up white and unshaded instead of rendering correctly.

I decided to give the Nyko Intercooler a try to see if my 'box was overheating. The darn thing actually worked, dropping the temperature in my 360's entertainment center noticeably and causing Chrome Hounds to play correctly. It adds another couple of decibels over the 360's roar with another 3 fans, but since it's in my entertainment center I can shut the door on it and block out the sound (the back of the center is open for ventilation).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnysdad

Why not?

I think thats a bunch of bullshit. When I buy something brand new I expect it to last longer than a couple of months. I guess I am just crazy like that. HAVING to buy a warranty because you know the 360 is going to take a shit is complete crap.
    So do you cry when you go buy a car? They kind of force you into warrenty. You pay for it, would you really reject it?

Heck, cell phones have warrenties, are you going to risk your "free on a 3 year plan, but regular price 300$ and if you break it tough shit" phone?

Seriously man, get a grip, shit breaks, thats life, and for 50 bucks to ease my mind of having to fork more over for a repair is far better then wasting my time. Everything breaks, it's up to you to compare the value of the warrenty to the product.

A coffee maker is not worth bothering with.

A 500$ machine is.

It's 50 freaking bucks, I spend more on marketplace points.

My 360 lasted 8 months, shit happens, they fixed it right away, and thats why I bought the warrenty.

If you're cheap, don't buy a 500$ machine, but lets face it, 50$ is NOTHING compared to the purchase of the machine and a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

Why not?

So do you cry when you go buy a car? They kind of force you into warrenty. You pay for it, would you really reject it?

Heck, cell phones have warrenties, are you going to risk your "free on a 3 year plan, but regular price 300$ and if you break it tough shit" phone?

Seriously man, get a grip, shit breaks, thats life, and for 50 bucks to ease my mind of having to fork more over for a repair is far better then wasting my time. Everything breaks, it's up to you to compare the value of the warrenty to the product.

A 500$ machine is.

My 360 lasted 8 months, shit happens, they fixed it right away, and thats why I bought the warrenty.

If you're cheap, don't buy a 500$ machine, but lets face it, 50$ is NOTHING compared to the purchase of the machine and a game.

Yes as a matter of fact I did cry last time I bought a car. Thanks for asking. No I do not buy a warranty for every damn thing I buy cause thats bullshit. So I guess I am crazy for expecting something that costs $500 to actually work and last a while and I do not need to get a grip on anything. I know shit breaks but it usually lasts a couple of years before it does. If your stupid enough to spend $500 on something you know is going to break quickly and then spend extra money on a warranty than you are really stupid. Dont like what I say than kiss my ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

Why not?

A 500$ machine is.

Yes as a matter of fact I did cry last time I bought a car. Thanks for asking. No I do not buy a warranty for every damn thing I buy cause thats bullshit. So I guess I am crazy for expecting something that costs $500 to actually work and last a while and I do not need to get a grip on anything. I know shit breaks but it usually lasts a couple of years before it does. If your stupid enough to spend $500 on something you know is going to break quickly and then spend extra money on a warranty than you are really stupid. Dont like what I say than kiss my ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Looks like the warranty is only $40, at least according to this PDF on MS's site:

http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/0DF...ntyInvoice.pdf

I'd assume they'd have to honor that price since it's still on their main site and is in fact linked directly from the page dealing with the extended warranty.