Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Component cables will not be included with PS3...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Default Component cables will not be included with PS3...

I've been wondering lately if Sony is actively trying to piss of as many people as possible.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157113.html

No component cables for either version of the PS3. I didn't expect HDMI cables, but for $600...I would expect something more than shitty RCA or S-Video. This has got to be a mistake. Maybe Sony's idea of "HD" doesn't mean what the rest of the world considers "HD".
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

They say nothing about component. It's all HDMI in the article, unless I missed something.

Strawberry (Level 2) heyricochet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by "Gamespot"
    However, according to Sony's own official PS3 Web site, the system won't come with the cables necessary to carry an HDMI signal, or any high-definition signal, for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by "Sony's website's fine print"
    Video output in HD requires cables and an HD-compatible display, both sold seperately.
    Yeah, no component. Sucks, and is dumb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's really dumb. Sony brags and brags about their 1080p support and HD, yet you can't even get it without shelling more cash. Sure MS talks about the "HD Era" a good bit as well, but at least the Premium 360 comes with the cables needed for it.

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope thats not true, or we might be forced to get separate component cables for like $50 or HDMI cables for $100, now that would suck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hear though that they are including a hammer so you can hit yourself in the head after buying it.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slip81
    I hear though that they are including a hammer so you can hit yourself in the head after buying it.
    Those three people are going to have quite a mess on their hands.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Sweet a hammer, can you use it to prevent other people from buying one?
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence
    Sweet a hammer, can you use it to prevent other people from buying one?
    You can use it to bash the nearest Sony employee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

100,000 in japan and 400,000 for the US on launch...

Woot for low release numbers

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's the pack-in a/v connection:

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelflack
    Here's the pack-in a/v connection:

Schweet that makes up for all wrong doing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

One thing to remember: it's possible that retailers could have applied some of the pressure that led to this decision. After all, retailers make jack shit on console sales themselves, leaving the accessory market to be the area where they 'pick up the slack' so to speak. The 360 had very little opportunity for retailers to sell extra accessories to buyers in the same trip they bought the console in. I mean, the only possible things the average joe would care about is an extra controller. It already came with good cables, a hard drive and batteries to get you started, leaving retailers with nothing but games to sell with them (and the markup on new games ain't that great either...why do you think Gamestop/EB pushes used games so hard?).

Basically, from the consumer's point of view, the 360 did very well from a standpoint of including everything you need to get started (quality issues with the hardware itself is another matter entirely). It's always possible that Sony made a deal with retailers to purposely not include things in the box so retailers could make a little extra cash selling them as add-ons. Just a thought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

only $10 for Component cables

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

It could be (though foolish) that the PS3 is not compatible with component cables due to the content protection with the Blu-Ray. There may not be a component option without some kind of adapter. Since HDMI is not in that many households yet it would not make sense to include those cables (from a cost angle).

Later,
    Trebuken

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems the already expensive PS3 is getting more and more expensive while the the premium bundle of the 360 is looking more and more attractive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

OK, where is Anthony1's opinion on this..

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slate

Including the component cables is actually not a very smart idea. Why include it, when you can charge somebody an extra $29.99 for the accesory. I mean, it's a typical practice. The Xbox 360 premium bundle have the component cables was an exception to the rule. I think the main reason the 360 wanted to have component cables included in the premium version, is because they were going into uncharted territory by charging more than the standard $299.99 price that everybody was expecting.

Now that the $299.99 barrier has been passed, and passed successfully, Sony doesn't need to include the component cables or the HDMI cable. On one hand, as a consumer who is going to be forced to by overpriced component cables, I can't stand this shit, but on the other side, thinking rationally as a businessman, including the component cables is just not good business.

Some will say it's not good business to piss off your customers further, but Americans are very quick to forget these types of things. As much as we would like to think that we hold these long term grudges against certain companies for their policies, we really don't. We forget about shit rather quickly. Sure, there are going to be some very pissed off people, cause they are going to realize that they have to shell out another $29.99 on top of everything else, but a few months later it will be a distant memory.

And 6 months down the road, you will have 3rd party component cables for $14.99 on sale. So for the people buying it then, it's not that huge an issue. What will be a kinda huge issue is the price of the HDMI cables. The official Sony ones, will likely cost a fortune, and I'm sure the average Joe Schmo, isn't going to know that you can get high quality HDMI cables on Ebay or via other methods for only $20 a cable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slate

Including the component cables is actually not a very smart idea. Why include it, when you can charge somebody an extra $29.99 for the accesory. I mean, it's a typical practice. The Xbox 360 premium bundle have the component cables was an exception to the rule. I think the main reason the 360 wanted to have component cables included in the premium version, is because they were going into uncharted territory by charging more than the standard $299.99 price that everybody was expecting.

Now that the $299.99 barrier has been passed, and passed successfully, Sony doesn't need to include the component cables or the HDMI cable. On one hand, as a consumer who is going to be forced to by overpriced component cables, I can't stand this shit, but on the other side, thinking rationally as a businessman, including the component cables is just not good business.

Some will say it's not good business to piss off your customers further, but Americans are very quick to forget these types of things. As much as we would like to think that we hold these long term grudges against certain companies for their policies, we really don't. We forget about shit rather quickly. Sure, there are going to be some very pissed off people, cause they are going to realize that they have to shell out another $29.99 on top of everything else, but a few months later it will be a distant memory.

And 6 months down the road, you will have 3rd party component cables for $14.99 on sale. So for the people buying it then, it's not that huge an issue. What will be a kinda huge issue is the price of the HDMI cables. The official Sony ones, will likely cost a fortune, and I'm sure the average Joe Schmo, isn't going to know that you can get high quality HDMI cables on Ebay or via other methods for only $20 a cable.

So what's next? Will the AC adapter be sold separately? After all, why include it if you can milk your customers an extra $29.99 for it. While we're at it I think that console makers have been TOO generous by including a single controller with the unit. Controllers should be extra since there's more profit to be made that way. Oh, another good idea, since all next-gen consoles will be broadband ready lets make subscribing to their online hub mandatory instead of optional, after all, that'll provide another steady stream of income and even better it'll please EA and other game developers who are designing uploadable changable advertising into their games

...and people wonder why I'm primarily a PC gamer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Default Re: hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken
    It could be (though foolish) that the PS3 is not compatible with component cables due to the content protection with the Blu-Ray. There may not be a component option without some kind of adapter. Since HDMI is not in that many households yet it would not make sense to include those cables (from a cost angle).

Later,
    Trebuken
    From what I understand (though I may be wrong) it's the 1080p that is only for use with HDMI. If that is in fact the case, it's not a huge deal as less than 1% of US homes right now (my statistic pulled straight from my ass, but I'd put money on it) have a television or monitor capable of displaying a 1080p signal (at the very cheapest, these sets are $1500). Either way, I hope Blu-Ray bites it based on what I know of the 2 formats right now. If one were to go strictly by history, betting on Blu-Ray would be a poor choice as Sony's formats have never won.

As for Griking, so what? You don't think the differences between PC and console gaming are growing thinner by the generation, if not by the month? Our controllers and cables are your video cards and RAM. There really isn't any reason to do the whole PC vs. Consoles arguement again since it was retarded in the first place.