Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: if you were planning to camp for a PS3, START EARLY!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

How many 360's were available at launch? That launch did not go too bad for me personally, and if this is a similar quantity, I think the higher price might make the launch go the same way...

My biggest concern is that the limited number of units will irritate the game developers into delaying games or porting them to the 360 instead (assassin's Creed not exclusive anymore I see).

Anyways, Wii is gonna be there, and will see us through the the twilight even if the PS3 is not...

Later,
    Trebuken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I think Sony screwed up with using Blu-ray, and using the cell as its processor. I am saying the cell due to the difficult the manufacter making the cell is having with it.

I wonder how many of the ps 3's will be returned or need to repaired within weeks after they are bought after having a good amount of use? It seems like sony is rushing the ps 3 overall.

I don't like sony's track record on Launch products with the psp being their latest.

Anyone who buys a sony videogame system or handheld should know there are taking a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I think Sony screwed up with using Blu-ray, and using the cell as its processor. I am saying the cell due to the difficult the manufacter making the cell is having with it.

I wonder how many of the ps 3's will be returned or need to repaired within weeks after they are bought after having a good amount of use? It seems like sony is rushing the ps 3 overall.

I don't like sony's track record on Launch products with the psp being their latest.

Anyone who buys a sony videogame system or handheld should know they are taking a chance.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Thomas
    The main culprit for Sony has been that damned Blu-Ray drive. As I understand it, PS3 would already be available if not for that. But the company has been bleeding money for some time, and the suits are desperate for BR to succeed in the market. Unfortunately, it just isn't ready for market yet, and the public is not going to throw away its DVD collections and start all over again with the next-gen version.
    BR won't replace anthing. Hell, there are still VHS tapes being sold all over the place. BR/HD will be for a smaller and more precise audience. Sure, DVD players are cheap and everywhere, but lok 5 years down the road. No VHS tapes and DVDs are a dime a dozen. BR/HD DVDs should be roughly as cheap and available as $40 DVD players at Wal-Mart are right now. Any new technology rarely is sucessful at first, but they are shooting for the long run, man.

Also, the idea isn't to replace the DVD libraries but compliment them. And since my HDTV doesnt have HDMI cables, I will be leaning more to DVDs maybe HD DVDs in the next few years. I don't know if the 360 player will use some fancy video doohickey. I really don't.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I plan to get one for resale on ebay. My strategy is to take two days off work, and start camping at the local best buy (only 3 miles from where I live ), around 28 hours before they go on sale.

I figure that while I may loose about $200 for missing two days work, I'll make at least $400 in profit off my resold PS3. So it should be worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I plan to go the stored on nov 16 4.00pm bringing my nintendo ds lite my game boy sp my laptop

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NEOFREAK9189
    I plan to go the stored on nov 16 4.00pm my nintendo ds lite my game boy sp my laptop

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

ds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have a question How many xbox 360 s were available at launch?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, kids, I wouldn't recommend standing out in line overnight in hopes of stealing a PS3. I'm just thinking of the safety issue. A pile of kids sitting around with $600 in their pockets? Someone is going to get it in their heads to hit up a small mugging spree.
    You have to be pretty stupid or heavily drugged up to start mugging people when there are so many people around that can stop you. Doesnt most people use a creditcard today anyway? And its not kids who will camp out. They arent allowed by their parents to say out alone all night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Well, kids, I wouldn't recommend standing out in line overnight in hopes of stealing a PS3. I'm just thinking of the safety issue. A pile of kids sitting around with $600 in their pockets? Someone is going to get it in their heads to hit up a small mugging spree.
    You have to be pretty stupid or heavily drugged up to start mugging people when there are so many people around that can stop you. Doesnt most people use a creditcard today anyway? And its not kids who will camp out. They arent allowed by their parents to say out alone all night.
    Yeah, I doubt I'm gonna see any "kids" standing around to buy the thing. It will probably be mostly people like me, guys in their mid 20's with credit cards.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Imstarryeyed's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was working in Silicon Valley during the PS2 launch and I was working for Sony Electronics at the time, and it was a madhouse.

Internally when the Sony store in our building would get a PS2 unit, the company had lotteries to see who can buy a system. I just dont understand why companies would not do that and forgo the agony of making people live like street urchins.

People were camping outside of the Metrion for at least 2 weeks ahead of time.. it was silly.

Then again tons of people were waiting for the PS2 and were willing to move heaven and earth to get one.. this time I am not so sure except for the PS2 otaku that is.

So I guess if you want one, I would recommend you:

1) Finish reading this thread

2) Grab your sleeping bag

3) Pick up a copy of "Living on the streets for Dummies"

4) Leave now!

Good luck and remember refrigerator boxes are considered premium real estate in San Francisco!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Crap, the PS3 launch is gonna be as bad as the 360 then. We're still accepting pre-orders but not guaranteeing people getting them till sometime next year. This just makes it worse.

Plus side, only 4 Wii pre-orders, that'll be easy.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz

Anyone who buys a sony videogame system or handheld should know they are taking a chance.
    If the cell is that difficult. Does that mean that the ones that do pass go and go into the machines mean they are more subject to flaws?
    neo geo system

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In all this confusion, speculations, hopes, silliness, and dumb waiting to get a new console I have a relaxed approach: I wait six months, and then I get one without any probs, just walking into a store, pick it up, and pay for it. That's how I got the 360. I survived six months without it very well, playing games like always.

In the case of the PS3 I won't get one until it drops in price, no matter which games are offered and when it finally happens. I'm not a cash cow for companies.

I'm an avid gamer, I love new consoles, but I'm also level-headed and hardly loose common sense. I got only one console at launch day, that was the N64. A clerk I knew well called me up, said they had one, I drove there 10 minutes, picked it up, and paid.

No console is it worth to get cold feet for an hour or even 5. BRRRR...just the thought makes me shiver.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default I hope people make money

I hope that people make money, count me out. I am sure there is money to be made, but I see ALOT of people trying to make money on this one, when in truth only a fraction of people will. You bettter list your item early so that you can maximize your profit. The ebay craze is going to be crazy on this item.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by NEOFREAK9189
    I have a question How many xbox 360 s were available at launch?

Around 400,000 were avalible.

I'm not camping out for this system. There is no game coming out around launch that I could give a shit about that isn't also coming out on the 360.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

appearently some high guy working at gs said he had an email today saying there most likely wont be any preorders for the ps3

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by muffinman943
    appearently some high guy working at gs said he had an email today saying there most likely wont be any preorders for the ps3

That would be a smart idea. Pre-ordering is going to piss off 10 times as many people as it's going to help. If they just sell it at midnight on the 17th, the big downside is that every Gamestop will have campers lined up outside them all during the 15th and 16th, but it will only be two days of madness, instead of many, many, many days of headaches. I know that GameStop went through hell last year by pre-ordering way too many 360 systems, and the people had their pre-orders tied into games that they traded in, and when they were told that they wouldn't get a 360 until Spring of the next year, they went ballistic, and then the managers had to figure out how the hell to rectify the situation. By not pre-ordering, you don't get into all that drama. You have a certain number to sell on launch day, and that's all there is to it.

One problem that might arise though, is the fact that many GameStops are located in mini strip malls, and those malls have security issues, and they also have other stores very close to the GameStops, and I don't think there is going to be room for people camping out front. The Cingular store on one side, and the Quiznos on the other side, is going to be pissed as hell with all the Campers lined up in front of their stores.

Another option that I think would work for them, is to only sell it in a bundle. Require the purchase of 4 individual PS3 games, one extra PS3 wireless controller and one other PS3 accessory priced $29.99 or more. That would eliminate all the profiteers. Sure it would piss alot of gamers off that want to just get the system with one game, but money talks and bullshit walks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Im gonna scalp low numbered tickets for the sony customer service repair line.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r