Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: if you were planning to camp for a PS3, START EARLY!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto
    Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz
    I think Sony screwed up with using Blu-ray, and using the cell as its processor. I am saying the cell due to the difficult the manufacter making the cell is having with it.

I wonder how many of the ps 3's will be returned or need to repaired within weeks after they are bought after having a good amount of use? It seems like sony is rushing the ps 3 overall.

I don't like sony's track record on Launch products with the psp being their latest.

Anyone who buys a sony videogame system or handheld should know they are taking a chance.
    If the cell is that difficult. Does that mean that the ones that do pass go and go into the machines mean they are more subject to flaws?
    It is possible to be more subject to flaws with the cells that passed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence
    I'm not camping out for this system. There is no game coming out around launch that I could give a shit about that isn't also coming out on the 360.
    I agree 100%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    One problem that might arise though, is the fact that many GameStops are located in mini strip malls, and those malls have security issues, and they also have other stores very close to the GameStops, and I don't think there is going to be room for people camping out front. The Cingular store on one side, and the Quiznos on the other side, is going to be pissed as hell with all the Campers lined up in front of their stores.
    If I were Quiznos I'd stay open and try to get that "hungry camper" business.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin
    In all this confusion, speculations, hopes, silliness, and dumb waiting to get a new console I have a relaxed approach: I wait six months, and then I get one without any probs, just walking into a store, pick it up, and pay for it. That's how I got the 360. I survived six months without it very well, playing games like always.

In the case of the PS3 I won't get one until it drops in price, no matter which games are offered and when it finally happens. I'm not a cash cow for companies.

I'm an avid gamer, I love new consoles, but I'm also level-headed and hardly loose common sense. I got only one console at launch day, that was the N64. A clerk I knew well called me up, said they had one, I drove there 10 minutes, picked it up, and paid.

No console is it worth to get cold feet for an hour or even 5. BRRRR...just the thought makes me shiver.

I agree 100%. In fact, I still haven't purchased a 360 yet and don't plan on it until the first price reduction which I'm hoping comes around some time around when the PS3 is launched. I figure by then there will be a nice selection of games out and even a few who's used prices will have dropped to a reasonable level. In the mean time there are still plenty of games that I already own for current and previous console that I have yet to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mmmm quiznos
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    One problem that might arise though, is the fact that many GameStops are located in mini strip malls, and those malls have security issues, and they also have other stores very close to the GameStops, and I don't think there is going to be room for people camping out front. The Cingular store on one side, and the Quiznos on the other side, is going to be pissed as hell with all the Campers lined up in front of their stores.
    True. My mall has a EBX, EB and Gamestop (all one entity now but still). During really big releases (Halo 2 and Madden) the stores were open for a hour, I think, at midnight for people to buy. Dunno how security went for it or if they'll do it for the PS3. My store opened normally for the 360, I dunno what the game stores did.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really don't think it's going to be as spaztic and crazy as some of you think.

I think the Ebay profeteering is not going to do that well. At $600.00, I don't think nearly as many people are going to go out of their way to get it on day one. Personally, I think that the majority of Ebay profiteers aren't going to make much at all.

I have a feeling the price point is just going to turn off too many people, and as a result, there won't be as much of a frenzy/demand for it, although I could certainly be wrong.

Additionally, I'm sure Sony is having trouble getting enough units built in time, but it' still Sony's M.O. to announce huge availability at first, and then scale down the initial shipment numbers if only to try to create a demand/frenzy for it.

That being said, I will eventually get one, presumably after the first price cut, only to play Virtua Fighter 5. If VF5 was not a PS3 exclusive, I honestly think I would have zero interest in buying one.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mort
    I really don't think it's going to be as spaztic and crazy as some of you think.

I think the Ebay profeteering is not going to do that well. At $600.00, I don't think nearly as many people are going to go out of their way to get it on day one. Personally, I think that the majority of Ebay profiteers aren't going to make much at all.

I have a feeling the price point is just going to turn off too many people, and as a result, there won't be as much of a frenzy/demand for it, although I could certainly be wrong.

Additionally, I'm sure Sony is having trouble getting enough units built in time, but it' still Sony's M.O. to announce huge availability at first, and then scale down the initial shipment numbers if only to try to create a demand/frenzy for it.

That being said, I will eventually get one, presumably after the first price cut, only to play Virtua Fighter 5. If VF5 was not a PS3 exclusive, I honestly think I would have zero interest in buying one.
    You do have a point there. Even if you triple your money, spending over $600 to do so and camping out all night is still an aggravation. There are always ways to resell, with success, without wasting an entire night or having to give up $600+ dollars.

Then you get into
    -the headache of how many days to list it for (to meet demands of people who want it shipped the same day or next day versus the money to be made from people who flock to your listing after it has been up for a couple days)
    -what your starting bid is (damned if I am paying the insertion fees of starting at $400-500)
    -when to actually list it (tough to list it if you THINK you might get one, expect to see a few people listing PS3's they will "be getting later tonight or tomorrow" assuming they get to buy one launch day in a store).

A lot more thought has to go into it than the run-of-the-mill Ebay listing.

I prefer the savings involved with being a very late adopter. I can even live without the small list of games for each system I adopt late that end up becoming "rare" in the time it was out.

What will I be doing when the PS3 comes out? Finally picking up a new or used PS2 and/or an X-Box. I'm sure a few will be "dumped" to free up funds for PS3 or X-Box 360. I shall check the stores for price drops and keep on scouring Ebay. Something cheap will come up, I hope.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mort

I think the Ebay profeteering is not going to do that well. At $600.00, I don't think nearly as many people are going to go out of their way to get it on day one.
    It's not the retail price affecting how much it'll fetch on eBay, but % of launch units resold on eBay, I bet it'll be as high as 95%. I wonder if Sony should just forget about selling to retail stores, but putting on their own online auctions sites, with message like, to get PS3, please visit http://www.sony.com

Stores will still carry games and accessories, in the end, everyone is happy. Another option during the holiday season, is for every retail store to reinforce bundles, ie, buy 2-3 games with an accessory.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango
    Even if you triple your money, spending over $600 to do so and camping out all night is still an aggravation.

I don't know....Tripling your money would seem to be worth the aggravation to me. Let's see, a PS3 is $599.99 plus tax, let's assume 8 percent sales tax, that's a grand total of $647.99. Triple that would be $1943.97. But you would still have to pay listing fees, reserve fees and final value fee. And you might have to pay cost overruns for shipping, as well as potential PayPal fees when people pay with credit cards. It would be interesting to know the exact amount you would need to sell it at, to cover every single cost and still triple your investment. Basically, you would need to sell it for like $2100 to really, really, really make it all worth it.

Also, it certainly depends on how much camping you have to do. If you can start camping at 5pm the night before, and you camp at a place like Target, which hands out tickets at 6am in the morning, then you are basically waiting a total of 13 hours. You can almost look at it like you're making $100 an hour to wait in line to get a PS3. Of course, that's assuming you can show up at 5pm the night before and there aren't more people already in line than there are systems to be sold.

I personally really want a system for myself, just because if I don't get one right away, it could easily be another 6 months before I track one down. My personal strategy would be to play the hell out of it for about 36 days, and then sell it a few nights before Xmas for like $1400 at least. I will just rent some PS3 games like Resistance: Fall of Man and Warhawk and Fatal Inertia and Motorstorm, etc, etc. I'm not sure of what actual PS3 games will release prior to Xmas, so it will depend on that. But I would try to rent a ton of PS3 games (the ones that don't have a Xbox 360 version as well), and get a good feel for what the PS3 is all about. I might as well rent a few Blu Ray movies as well. I can tell you one thing, I sure as hell won't be buying any Blu Ray movies, or HD-DVD movies for the matter, either, not with their ridiculous pricing. It's all about rental baby!!! I'm more than willing to rent a ton of games and movies (with a monthly rental service of course), but I'm not going to be paying top dollar for any of this media. Only time I'm going to buying stuff, is if it's priced $29.99 or less, and even then I really prefer $19.99. Sorry to digress there, but the prices of the games and these high def movies are a little bit out of control.

The thing is, if people are still giving around $1400 for one, a couple of days prior to Xmas, then I might just have to take somebodies money and walk. I'll list it on craigslist, so there won't be any listing fee's or reserve fee's or final value fee's or paypal fee's or any extra shipping fee's or anything like that. Just sell it to somebody locally for cashola. And if I can't get $1400 or $1300 for it, then I might just hold onto it. It will depend on how attatched I am to renting PS3 games and Blu Ray movies, and whether or not I think I'll be able to find a PS3 via some method in the not too distant future, like my GameCrazy pre-order, coming thru for me in mid February or something like that.

I really hate to miss out on the actual launch day experience of opening up a PS3 box for the first time, being amazed at how massive the PS3 is in terms of size, and smelling all that molded plastic and silicon for the first time. Nothing like opening up those little plastic bags for the first time to see the PS3 controller that doesn't feature rumble. Putting Resistance: Fall of Man into the PS3 on that Friday night in November, will be a pretty enjoyable and once in a lifetime experiences I'm imagining. Nothing like experiencing something for the very first time, something totally state of the art, and something a little bit different than what I'm getting with my Xbox 360. Sure, I'll have gotten Gears of War one week earlier, and I'll also likely be playing Splinter Cell and NBA 2K7, and I might not be that desperate to play Fall of Man or Motorstorm, but it's a new system, with it's own unique flavor to it, and experiencing it on the actual launch day is something that will always be considered a special moment in my gaming history. I can distinctively remember the first day that I got my PS2. I spent the whole night camping to get it, I got home with it, and I was totally exhausted, because I really didn't sleep a lick, but I had my PS2, and I had Madden and SSX, and before I decided to go to bed for a few hours and get some actual sleep, I hooked up the PS2 and played some Madden and some SSX, and for those few hours in a totally exhausted state, everything was worth it. All the drama was worth it. And it was even more worth it considering the fact that had I not gotten a PS2 at launch, it would have haunted my thoughts at all times. All I would be thinking about, is what it would be like to be playing SSX and Smugglers Run and Madden, etc, etc. Of course, little did I know that the launch lineup would ultimately be as sucky as it was. I didn't completely realize that until January 2001. By that time, it was too late to sell my PS2 for a fortune, so I just kept it. But I had some very good friends that wanted to get a PS2 too, and they didn't find one until late April. And they were looking every day for one. So sometimes having one early, even though it's anti-climatic, is nice just because you don't have to dream of what it would have been like, and you can just relax and enjoy it now, while we are still alive, and while the Earth hasn't been hit by an Asteroid. You never know when your number is going to be called, so there is something to be said for early adopters.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why even camp out in front of a store?

Just pre-order online as soon as you're able to. My friend at work pre-ordered an XBox 360 bundle, had it shipped overnight, and got it on launch day. No hassle, no camping.

Sure, you may be forced to order it in a bundle, but if you're going to be making double your money back on the system, what's the big deal about spending a few extra hundred bucks on a few games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, so something some of you folks might be interested in. Today, I stopped by EB to ask about reserving a PS3. As you may have guessed, of couse they are not doing so yet.

BUT...

They are allowing reserves on PS3 games. I also found out that those customers who reserve games will be getting calls the morning that EB starts taking PS3 preorders. Sort of like a precedence over the "rabble." So, I reserved a game, with the assurance that I will get a call when they start taking reserves on consoles. Seeing as I live in a small, sleepy town, I'm betting on being first on the list. Anyway, thought that might be helpful to some of you wanting a PS3 on launch day.
    Negative, negative! We have a Wildcat destabilization of the ship's fusion core!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaJoey23
    Ok, so something some of you folks might be interested in. Today, I stopped by EB to ask about reserving a PS3. As you may have guessed, of couse they are not doing so yet.

BUT...

They are allowing reserves on PS3 games. I also found out that those customers who reserve games will be getting calls the morning that EB starts taking PS3 preorders. Sort of like a precedence over the "rabble." So, I reserved a game, with the assurance that I will get a call when they start taking reserves on consoles. Seeing as I live in a small, sleepy town, I'm betting on being first on the list. Anyway, thought that might be helpful to some of you wanting a PS3 on launch day.

Interesting news. I think the best method to take is to check with a GameStop and EB every single morning from now till October 10th. They are bound to start at somepoint during that time frame. Is it a pain in the ass to have to call every single morning when they first open? Hell yes, but I'm totally convinced that if you aren't at a GameStop or EB during the first 30 minutes of them accepting pre-orders on the PS3, you are going to be S.O.L. So the only way to be sure is to call every morning and check in. It must really suck for the employees to have to answer that question over and over and over, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. One day soon, they are going to say, "Yes, we just got a memo from corporate that we can start today".

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Camping out

Camping out in the cold weather overnight and loosing sleep for a console, is it really worth it? Well according to some, yes. I feel it is not worth camping out because missing a few month of playing the PS3, oh well... In the end you will get one, that is what counts. But if you really insist on getting one at launch well here are a few tips:

1. Call the place every morning (though it may piss the employees off and they may say "not yet" even though they know when to pre-order)
    2. Make friends with a employee or manager (much better way)
    3. Camping out (well I hope you enjoy the cold weather and a high chance of rain during those months)
    4. Camp out in groups but take turns (i.e. a few sleep in the car, but all stand in line initially; therefore, less strain)
    5. Don't go to the major chains, the smaller shops like a toys store (i.e. KB Toys that's how I got my PS2 at launch with no line or Virgin Records that's another example) that sells consoles.
    6. Preorder but state you will perorder tons of games and accessories and will get the entire lot if you are 100% gonna get one on launch day, managers may pull a few strings to meet your needs since you will be doing a large multiple at the store and they will have a better quota/stats.
    7. Good Luck to all the people attempting to buy the PS3 at launch day.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Quote Originally Posted by gepeto
    Well I don't buy it. Why is it that there is always a so called manufacture shortage of chip every time?
    It isn't this time. It's a component of the blu-ray drive that's in shortage.
    I have to agree... I don't buy it... it's just Sony's usual strategy of faking a chip shortage to inflate demand...
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

my friend told me the is rumor the each stored get 20 system only
    12 system 60gb version
    8 system 20 gb version

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, 400,000/20 = 20,000. Is this realistic, even as an average?
    Negative, negative! We have a Wildcat destabilization of the ship's fusion core!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have a friend she planning to camp for a PS3 16th 10.00 am

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

Quote Originally Posted by NEOFREAK9189