Thread: NCAA Basketball Demo Version???

Insert Coin (Level 0) N 2 Nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NCAA Basketball Demo Version???

I just joined DP online. But I have a question. I recently found a copy of NCAA Basketball for SNES that says: Demo Version Only - Not for Resale. It's not hand written either, it's actually printed with the cartridge label. Have I found a new SNES prototype, or demo? I will try to get a pic/scan of the cartridge. Thanks

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a demo. Well... they are not really demos because they contain the full game. These "not for resale" games were used in stores for customers to play. They usually have a sticker on the back with the store number, but not all games have it. The NCAA not for resale is one of the easiest SNES demo to find. It doesn't sell for too much on eBay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know of at least 14 demos, by the fact that PredatorXS owns them. There maybe more but I haven't seen them. Here they are.

01 Starfox
    02 Stunt race FX
    03 Donkey kong country
    04 Donkey kong country 3
    05 Turtles in time
    06 killer instinct
    07 Tetris attack
    08 Yoshis Island
    09 Contra
    10 Mortal Kombat II
    11 Ken Griffey jnr
    12 NCAA basket ball
    13 Street fighter II
    14 Street fighter II Turbo

Ken Griffey is by far the easiest to find, with the NCAA Basketball being the next easiest to find. Donkey Kong Country is reported to be the most difficult to find but I have never seen a MK2 up on Ebay, though that doesn't prove anything. The two sports games go for around 10 though if one was listed for less, would probubly go for less. Most others go for 20-30, but can go for more depending on who gets into the bidding.

In addition, there are "demos" which are dissimilar to these. Instead, they are a regular cart with a store sticker or nintendo sticker attached to the back which say "Not for Resale, Demo Only, or Property of Nintendo". Some tell you what store they are from. These cannot be recorded as easily as the others because any game could get it slapped on the back. These can go for no extra value or a lot depending on who gets in the bidding. Personally, I don't collect them, because I don't consider them a cart variant and there is no way to tell the legitimacy of the cart actually being a demo. Someone could take the sticker off one cart and put it on another to make the "most uber-rare demo known to man". But that's just me.