Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven's Obscure Super Famicom Impressions Thread (Top 50 countdown + closing remarks)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go Steve, Go Steve it's your birthday!? It's your birthday... erm really nice posts btw 3000 messeta for you.
    Go, go Ackman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default EGM vs. GAMEFAN

Thanks good sir

---

Welcome once again to another edition. Yes, there is a game beneath all this mess, and what an odd little game it is. If there was ever a BORAT character in the Super Nintendo world, this bloke would certainly qualify. But first, a topic near and dear...

Sunday, March 19, 2006

It was on this day that I made a 40 minute trek to reclaim bits and pieces from my childhood. If there was one thing I enjoyed more than playing with my gaming group in the early-mid 90's, it was reading the latest EGM-slash-GameFan.

I found a collector online who lives 40 minutes away and had a crap load of doubles. He invited me to stop by some day, pick out my favorite issues and buy.

And so it was on that warm idyllic Sunday afternoon that I began my odyssey. Nice house, nice neighborhood. We greeted at his front door and then he guided me to his garage, which had been transformed into a gaming dungeon. Arcade machines adorned the walls proudly and of course, a ton of boxes home to countless doubles.

I stifled through 'em looking solely for EGM and GameFan. Finally, I gathered 22 EGM's and 13 GameFans. I already had EGM '94, so I was looking for '92 and '93 (the 16-bit era) and luck be my day, he had doubles of Jan '92 through Dec '93, with only two issues missing inbetween

We layed it out and now it was pricing time. I feared the worst as he flicked through the issues. Bear in mind -- I only had $68 on me. 35 vintage hard-to-find issues in very good condition, not to mention highly sought after, especially the GameFans

Yeah, I was expecting the worst

"So," He started. "How much do you think would be fair for all this?"

Reaching in my pocket, I pulled out what I had.

"I got sixty-eight dollars."

I paused and anticipated his disappointment, or laughter.

... Maybe both

"Sounds good to me," He said, with a smile.

WOW. I almost did a double-take outta astonishment!

That made my entire week! $1.94 per issue it came out. You won't find a deal this good online, ever

I'm sure he knew he could have made double or triple what I paid. But, some people just want to see these things go to a good home. And I was lucky he was one of 'em

He helped carry the magazines to my car and then invited me to check out his game room upstairs. There he had his personal "untouchables" (fitting term for a man who just gave me a Gandhi-sized deal eh?) magazine collection, and they ranged from ELECTRONIC GAMES to VIDEO GAMES AND COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT. I mentioned I was looking for SUPER PLAY -- a UK Super Nintendo magazine held in high reverence within diehard SNES circles. He didn't have that one.

His game collection was equally stunning. A Dreamcast setup in arcade-like fashion was brilliantly displayed. He showed me his "Gamer of 2005" (or the like) plaque that he won at some gaming convention. This guy was TRULY hardcore.

While driving home on the freeway, I took a couple glances at the treasure that rested gently on my passenger seat... still in disbelief.

And now it's led to (pardon the pun) an issue I had planned to address from the very beginning of this topic:

EGM vs GAMEFAN

Which is better? Here's my 2 cents...

FACT: EGM covered way more SFC games than GameFan did

I hear all too often that GameFan was and is the best ever. Now don't get me wrong, I *LOVED* GameFan to death as a kid. I remember drooling at screenshots of SNES World Heroes 2. But after reading them some odd 12 years later... the memories proved better than the actual product.

EGM deserves more cred for their import coverage, which was, quite frankly, superior to GameFan's. Each month INTERNATIONAL OUTLOOK highlighted numerous Super Famicom games lying in the wings, even the really obscure ones.

Godzilla: Kaijuu Dai Kessen, you recall, was the 1st game I highlighted in this topic, and it was thanks to EGM that I discovered this game way back in '94. Others include:

Bakuto Dochers
    Basketball Dream: Dunk and Hoop
    Battle Cross
    Battle Master
    Battle Racers
    Firemen
    G2
    Ghost Chaser Densei
    Go Go Ackman
    Mickey Tokyo Disneyland
    Miracle Girls
    Pop'n Smash
    Rider's Spirits
    SD Hiryu no Ken
    Spark World
    Super Back to the Future II
    Zen Nippon Wrestling Dash

etc.

Note that all these games have been highlighted somewhere in this topic. And I got EGM to thank for it. Any time I see someone pimp GameFan for its amazing import coverage, I grin because EGM did it even more, and never seems to be credited for such.

GameFan had ace screen grabs but their writing left a lot to be desired at times. They were often too "cute," though ironically that was why I loved them back in '93. They wrote like... well, like an enthusiastic 10-year-old, which was perfect when you were ten; it felt like it was your very own writing that went into the magazine.

Two examples:

Volume 1, Issue 8 page 69

Another option is picking from two games, Turbo Hyper fighting and um ... I can't remember. I'm sorry sometimes I forget... Oh wait! I remember now, it's Champion Edition! Oh yea baby! Capcom is awesome

Volume 2, Issue 2 Editorial

Welcome to the Editorial Zone. A place where I, a person crazy enough to make a video game magazine, gets to write whatever I want. So, this month let's talk about the three toed Wallaby, a lovable little mate from down unda... uh, hold on. What was that you guys? I'm a what? OK, OK, I gotcha.

Enthusiasm? Sense of Humor? No doubt. Professional? Not always. No question that helped made them so "hip" and refreshing, but it's a double-edged sword. I find GameFan has aged not-so-well -- EGM on the other hand is like a fine fine wine. Those legendary 300-plus page holiday issues are still as enchanting as they were twelve years ago

Don't mistaken me for ripping GameFan though, I like 'em dearly to this day.

Speaking of quality gaming mags, as some of you know I received 45 issues of SUPER PLAY a few weeks ago. I'm making my rounds with it as we speak -- I truly love the whole archive-ness of these great old magazines. It was quite an era.... quite an era...

It's a great kick to turn a page and run into an obscure SFC game... a few days ago I saw SANRIO SMASH and was delightfully thrilled. Super Play rated it 82% calling it "a surprise gem"

EGM... GameFan... Super Play... you gotta freakin' love it. Gaming mags in the US in my book have gone down the toilet since late 1997. I miss the days where you couldn't wait for them to come in the mail. They really do serve as a time vessel to much simpler and more innocent times...

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program....

-------

JUNGLE NO OUJA TARZAN is one of those SFC games you'll come across and be quite perplexed by its distinct look. Once you see it, you never forget it, even if you want to.

It's a platformer that doesn't do anything you haven't seen done better before, but its overall unique quirky-ness warrants a look. Tarzan does struggle from Kid Icarus-itis... namely, after landing on small ledges he's quite prone to slip, the git.

I mentioned earlier Tarzan would be the Borat of the SNES realm. Like Borat, he starts out in his (jungle-y) home at the beginning, but then takes his exploits to such locations as China, Las Vegas and even a haunted castle to name a few. Only instead of greeting the local folk with double cheek kisses and asking for sexy time he's greeting 'em with the good ole universal pop-to-the-jaw.

One big grip I have with the game is his plodding nature. Stopping and going with him feels clunky, and he doesn't jump a terribly long distance.

The music is worth noting as it is just as offbeat as the game itself. Very funky

And now, the mandatory screen shots

---

Ah it's a good day for a run

And branch-hopping

And swinging

Peace doesn't last long though... wouldn't be much of a game if it did eh

cool how the baddie's right foot is hidden behind that shrub

Angry his jungle's been invaded, Tarzan unleashes his might

This monkey acts as a spring

Hit the rock which causes it to slide taking out the villain

Some amusing animations abound

Even the baddies die in like-fashion

Uh-oh... wild life running opposite you is never a good thing

Don't you hate being right? Boss 1

And that's level 1. Next Tarzan heads to China it would seem. Here he is greeted by Hadoken-tossing monks. Just stand still and the fireball goes past you harmlessly.

you do a lot of this in the game, Tarzan's no Carl Lewis

These blocks are breakable, but beware of the occasional spike pit below (press L/R to scroll up/down to see potential hazards)

Advance slowly, stopping whenever he fires one, and then jump kick DAT ASS!

So much for homeland security eh

These cramped areas spell a little bit more trouble for Tarzan as it eliminates the jump kick

Beware the parts that are not breakable, as you'll see here

ow! Damn just missed it by an inch too

The tiger punch can be aimed downward, straight ahead or vertically

Tarzan does the Running Man to keep warm, the damn fool

I love how a rope is conveniently placed there by the baddies, haha

CLOSING THOUGHTS

A decent platformer made more interesting thanks to its strange character. Expect nothing more, nothing less. Playable, if unremarkable. Below the likes of Go Go Ackman and Ghost Sweeper and those, mind, are below DoReMi. If you're a numbers person, this would fall somewhere in that 6.5 out of 10 range (slightly above average but not quite "solid")

The epitome of a guilty pleasure, this one. Yes, indeed. In a similar vain to Super Back to the Future II

Jungle no Ouja Tarzan level 1 (1:00)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default TANUKI

The raccoon serves as a good luck symbol to the Japanese (though Resident Evil folk may beg to differ). They love 'em some tanuki (raccoon)

So it's no surprise, then, to see this furry creature popping up in their video games. Pocky & Rocky comes to mind immediately as does the Ganbare Goemon games (Mystical Ninja in the west)

RACCOON RASCAL
    (Araiguma Rascal: Raccoon Rascal)

4-hits are always sweet

A puzzler with a unique twist. Rather than being another Puyo Puyo/Tetris rip-off, you control a raccoon who must match 3 (or more) like-jars by way of arrangement. Keep in mind it's not like Tetris Attack. Here you're restricted by obvious obstacles whereas in TA you're free to move the cursor where you wish. It'll take you a few minutes to get the hang of it, but then the good times roll

The little squirrels pushing the jars down add a nice touch. As you can see, Rascal just connected 3 green glasses. Getting chains is quite tricky so it's double gratifying when you pull one off.

Rascal is an endearing little guy. When carrying a jar, he marches along erect holding the jar high above his head with his diminutive arms. And when he's not carrying one and moving, true to raccoon form, Rascal scampers low to the ground.

When Rascal has a jar he has the option of dropping it beneath him, or throwing it one column over. He can also jump and swipe jars high above his head; as well as pushing jars provided they're out in the open.

Leap and grab, now match 'em

atta boy

If a jar is dropped on Rascal's head, it results in this amusing animation

The 1 player mode is fine and dandy but like any puzzle game worth its weight (sans Tetris of course), the all-important two-player mode(s). Raccoon Rascal has three unique 2 player modes

The 1st is a side scrolling platform-y race-to-the-exit-as-fast-as-you-can split-screen affair, where jars are placed strategically to impede players' progress. This mode is a thrilling race-against-your-opponent-while-you-rack-out-your-brains kind of rush.

The 2nd is the full-screen cooperative mode. If you're not in a competitive mood this mode serves its purpose well

the other modes are fun but here's where it's at

The 3rd final option is the classic head-to-head split-screen mode. The 2nd player controls a boy named Sterling who bears more than a passing resemblance to Oliver Twist

We all know the story don't we. Boy meets raccoon. Raccoon bites boy. Boy challenges raccoon to life-or-death puzzle duel

Movie Trailer voice guy
    It was a time of pain and destruction
    It drove boy and raccoon to the brink of madness
    NOW, their final battle commences

This is the story of the hard-working raccoon vs the lazy nappin' boy. Let's see how this new classic tale for future generations plays out...

Now Jimmy see here, the raccoon busts his nuts while the git naps
    Now observe what happens and why hard work pays off

OK, so video games should not be used to teach life lessons...
    Even Sterling has no clue how he won!

CLOSING THOUGHTS

SUPER PLAY, who was extremely tough on game scores, rated this one pretty highly, given their strict standards:

Graphics: 80%
    Sound: 68%
    Gameplay: 81%
    Gamelife: 79%
    Overall: 79%

saying "The cute shell hides a rock hard interior. The learning curve is not set perfectly, but when the going gets tough, it's tough with a capital T. I've probably played this as much as any other game this month and I am still only half-way through the levels. Extensive play reveals Puyo Puyo-like tactics which allows for many chain reactions; and the two-player modes are the icing on an already appetizing cake"

---

A puzzler that gets more awesome as you delve into its tactics and techniques. Somewhat meh at first but quickly becomes highly charming and effective

"TO THE STRIP BAR!"

Raccoon Rascal (2:49)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really need to stop reading this thread, my SFC want list always expands whenever I poke my head in here. Nice job you're doing here Steven.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default TANUKI... PART II

Tanuki's accurate translation is "raccoon dog." And according to Japanese folklore, they have shape-shifting powers. That certainly describes this next game perfectly.

POKO NYAN! HENPOKORIN ADVENTURE

This sucker had me chasing for some time. A friend told me last month Poko Nyan is even harder to find than Rendering Ranger (!). Dunno how accurate that claim is, but I trust his word. About a week later I found one CIB for just $50, a collector I know paid $150 for his not too long ago!

Gleaning from the box art, you probably could guess the genre... yes, platformer, thank you, you in the back.

Been curious since I saw this in EGM #66 Jan. 95

EGM wasn't kidding -- how very easy this game is. You can't die! The timer running out doesn't end gameplay, nor does any amount of hits from the bad guys. Being a popular anime with young children this game was created with them in mind. A four-year-old could beat this! The game has 15 levels and can be finished in 40 minutes, even sooner if you rush straight for the exit.

Doing his best Sonic impersonation

Not sounding good eh?

But wait -- what's this? The game's a RIOT?! Yes it is. Poko (I think that's his name) is such a likable chap, much like Rascal. The stages are beautiful, some ace set-pieces and even the enemies themselves are cute. Just take one look at the wild boar who, before charging, has a silly exclamation mark bubble pop over his head.

The set-pieces are awesome not just because of how they look but also how they come into play. Some have several platforms Poko can hop on, or hop down from. Down + jump makes Poko drop to the platform below. This becomes oddly fascinating in and of itself, as it's fun to knock off baddies from above. May not sound all that great, but you'd be surprised.

Some other cool ones:

Reminiscent of SNES Lion King

Looking a little sick there buddy

Looks like he's giving the finger...

These little things add a lot to the game's charm.

True to Japanese folklore, this tanuki has plenty of shape-shifting prowess!

(All forms can double jump, including Poko)

By pressing R, Poko changes into a high-jumping kangaroo.

Up + R? This bird-y thing with unlimited flight!

Down + R? This little runt!

He can do this (on the lesser baddies, mind)

You can switch to any form at any time, no limits. You can switch back to Poko by pressing R again, or whenever a baddie hits you. Adds a lot of extra life to the game.

The 15 levels are spread over 5 different "worlds" each guarded by one of the nasty foxes. These boss battles, like the rest of the game, are a cinch. The later ones have some cool powers though.

While the game is short, the key is to explore the levels rather than rushing to the end. There is also a point score where bouncing off consecutive baddies allots major points, so at least there's a point system.

That sends Poko soaring through the grapes

Groovy roller coaster multi-tier stage

Love the whale in the background

Platforming rule #162: must have water stage

Rule #163: ice too

More Northern Lights in SFC games

BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!

The stages, however short, are fantastic

A deceptively fun game

CLOSING THOUGHTS

Poko Nyan won't light any gamer's world on fire, but it's very charming and enjoyable. Scrolling is a bit herky-jerky at times, but not bothersome enough to really deduct the game for. Perfect for kids, and great for anyone whose still a kid-at-heart

Good stuff

Poko Nyan (0:43)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Keep up the good works guys. The SNES and SFC have a huge combined game library, and there are many gems that don't get played because they are obscure, not because they aren't fun games to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default CHAIN CAN BE HARD

"Chain" can be hard, and INTEC didn't stray far away from a much tried-and-true formula.

OTOBOKE NINJA COLOSSEUM is what you'd get if you cross female ninja's and Bomberman.

So, is it any good?

HOW TO PLAY

Instead of bombs you drop spiked capsules

2 seconds later, the capsule shatters, releasing 4 shurikens; North-South-West-East (if not blocked). OK, so it's pretty much like Bomberman's bombs right? Not so fast....

If a shuriken connects, it stuns the player for 2 seconds, but they're not yet eliminated

ONLY during a stunned state can the chain attack finish 'em off

"Y" for chain, "B" for laying spikes

So it's a little different, not much, but it is. Gone are the sad "dangit I accidentally killed myself in the 1st three seconds" syndrome. Plus, the chain attack is ace. It can be manipulated to curve around corners and, when prolonged, is quite an amazing sight not to mention really fun to control. More on this later...

PLAYING BY YOURSELF IS NO FUN...

The 1st world was very ho-hum and left a rather negative taste in my mouth. It was just so... bland.

I forced myself through, hoping things would pick up a bit. And it did at the 1st boss.

Shurikens hitting it does no damage. You have to first connect with the shuriken(s) and THEN send the chain ball at it. For regular enemies, shuriken is enough. For the tougher regulars, the ole shuriken-chain combo is called for

.... YES IT IS... SORTA

World 2 was a lot more interesting with more puzzles to solve instead of just laying spike capsules and high-tailing it. They're not yet mind-bending but it's still early. Here is the first "puzzle" you'll encounter:

To beat a stage you must clear every bad guy. Here, 3 unbreakable blocks halt your progress

Using your chain, pull 'em out 1 at a time

And again....

Now with 1 block left, you're able to push through it and unleash ARMAGEDDON

Like I said, not taxing but a lot more satisfying than the wide open. Later on, with teleports coming into play, they get rather perplexing

SPREAD OUT!

The next snow stage is very nice. I love little things like that creepy possessed-looking volcano face that rests in the middle of the screen launching fireballs without mercy... awesome. Watch the shadows of these on-coming flame balls and ski-daddle!

By the way, the 'cano mug reminds me of GAROKK from X-Men fame... in his rocky prison form

Garokk

THE BIGGER THEY ARE...

... the harder you fall! The haunted theme is the best. Contend with bats, vampires, ghoulish skeletons and super quick wolf-men. Check out this 2 by 2 screen level!

FOUR-PLAY

Feeling quite satisfied with the 1-player mode now, which went from meh to hey that's not-so-bad, the 4-player battle mode is the meat of any Bomberman clone. The 1-player mode was never anything more than a bonus, a frill, a silk hankerchief in the breastpocket of the game's velvet regalia

POWER HOUR

Power-up's are always important to these games. Otoboke has some of the coolest you'll find anywhere. A list of some:

-Drop more spiked capsules at one time
    -Spiked capsules invisible when dropped
    -Spiked capsules exploding after 1 second rather than 2
    -Chain can break blocks, not just your shurikens
    -Chain can PUSH spiked capsules around (very very evil powerup!)
    -Speed up
    -Speed down

etc.

Everyone starts with a full-screen chain and full-screen-travelling shurikens, not to mention the ability to drop two spiked capsules right off the bat. This makes it a bit more chaotic then, than Bomberman from the get-go

THE COLOSSEUMS

The powerup's are important but the battle zones make or break a game of this nature. So let's get right to it

Your standard 1st stage. The snowmen are unbreakable and can be used defensively as shurikens cut through them not. The snowmen are pushable and your chain can pull far-away ones toward you. All but two battle zones have these movable barriers in some shape or form

Each player has their own island waiting to be raided. The cool thing here is, unless you use the bridge points, chains cannot stretch across islands, eliminating "cheap kills." The Super Famicom barriers are a nice touch as well

What would it be without a roof/tunnel-y stage? Can you locate the green player? Not here you can. This stage is full of Japanese culture -- from the roofing style to the TANUKI statues

What else more could make it complete? Of course, the stage with multiple exit points. The green player enjoys a nice little blend-in advantage (see far right)

The green bars restrict certain movement

--->
    notice the return of Tanuki

The green pool is aesthetically pleasing in a mystical, mythical fashion. All spike capsules are invisible!

It's the super power war zone. Each player begins with 5 spikes! (don't worry, you can't fall through)

--->

On 1st glance you wouldn't know the gimmick here. Play for a bit and arrows are soon revealed. Directs where shurikens travel? Nope. Directs where your CHAIN can go. A nice variation on top of a nice variation. The SFC barriers return

TAKE A SPIKE, PAL

When the clock runs down to 30 seconds, spikes crop up which if touched will stun you a la shurikens. Also, if you fall through the holes you'll lose

THE TIMES.... THEY'RE A'CHAINING....

Some of the cool things you can do with that ole chain ball...

WITH FRIENDS LIKE THESE, WHO NEEDS ENEMIES?

Nothing is quite as sweet as lurking about the screen, waiting for others to do the dirty work. And when you find a stunned opponent, sending the chain ball twisting and curving some safe twenty feet away... makes for great enemies and Ooooh-I'll-get-you-next-round! battles!

The feeling of surviving by the skin of your teeth as the chain comes your way JUST as you recover from your slumber is a great high, and on the flipside, morally deflating

CAN I GET FRIES WITH THAT?

Otoboke lacks the finishing touches and is not nearly as customizable as the Bombermen games. There's no option for CPU AI -- the default is quite laughably horrible. There's no tag team option. Thankfully the rest is status quo -- pick between 2-4 players (from a character choice of four females), 1-5 wins and one of the any eight colosseums

WAITER, THIS SODA'S A LITTLE FLAT

Some negative marks:

Graphically weaker than the SNES Bomberman games, which were no visual tour-de-force's themselves. The music can get annoying at times. Control is a bit "stickier" than the BM games (due to, well, see below)

And my biggest grip: you can't readjust your position when "waiting." You know how you drop a bomb in BM, go hide in a safe corner and can face NSWE to ready yourself for your next movement? Here if you go in facing east, you can't turn west without moving out of your safe position. Maybe hard to understand in text, but you'll see what I mean if you play it. This forces you to have greater wherewithall to compensate for a flaw that shouldn't be there in the 1st place

CLOSING THOUGHTS

Colosseum at night

I like SPARK WORLD quite a bit, but it was a blatantly shameless clone. At least Otoboke tried to be a little different, and as such, is a more commendable effort. Despite the bad marks listed above, I like Otoboke Ninja Colosseum very much. Obviously NAGA (not as good as) Bomberman, but hey -- what is?

Otoboke Ninja Colosseum (1:15)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default CHAIN GANG

SUPER TEKKYU FIGHT!

I discovered this game during the summer and it took me several months to hunt down. I think it's a safe bet this game is somewhat scarce. Not too long ago we looked at BATTLE RACERS featuring those four SD wonders. And now they're back at it yet again -- in their 42nd SNES game (Not really but it must be damn close)

One look and you're thinking "Oh no (or yes), another Bomberman wanna-be." Actually, this one has a slightly different feel from SPARK WORLD and OTOBOKE, for example. Instead of dropping bombs of one variety or the other, you simply bash the others to oblivion with your chain ball

You begin with a short chain. Some power-ups include:

Longer Chain

Double Chain Balls (now we're talking!)

The Almighty Gold Chain Ball
    (rips through consecutive blocks in 1 hit)

THE SUPER DESTROYER!!!! (4-way Chain!)

Get that baby there and you're sure to rule the match. As you can also see from the pic above, players can nullify each other's attacks with the chain ball. Note that the GOLD chain ball does 2 health bars damage when up-close

NO BOMBS, OK, WHAT ELSE IS DIFFERENT?

Each player has 8 health bars. So battles in STF! tend to be lengthier than your regular Bomberman match. When hit, you're invulnerable for a few seconds, eliminating cheap consecutive hits. "A" makes you jump. If you jump on their head, it stuns 'em for a few seconds. "Y" sees your guy flip the tiles, stunning anyone caught in its path. In this sense, it's a bit like OTOBOKE. Though there, you HAD to stun em in order to kill em. HERE -- it's optional and certainly makes your life easier, but not mandatory

Ultraman flips...

Roah is caught and stunned....

... easy as 1-2-3

When hit, you'll lose the last powerup you had -- the icon goes flying back on the field waiting to be claimed by anyone. This is great since it prevents a potential "ah crap he got Boardwalk and now we're all screwed" type of thing (the above pic shows Roah losing his powerup card)

THAT IS KINDA DIFFERENT...

You betcha and beware where you jump! Each player can jump past 1 square. Each stage has plenty of holes to be weary of. In the heat of the battle it's very easy to misplace a jump and plummet to the bloody rocks down below. However it doesn't ALWAYS spell instant doom. The price is 4 precious health bars

Gun.... DAMN!

And don't you hate when you're alone playing 3 CPU's and you die first and have to sit there waiting 2 minutes for the CPU's to kill each other? The programmers have sympathetized with our plight as STF! employs a system where anytime you die, the tiles fall off one by one until 1 CPU is standing. BLOODY SWEET. Give those chaps at METRO a hand *golf clap*

Ace scenery eh?

HOW'S THE 1 PLAYER STORY MODE?

If you must know. 6 worlds, with 8 levels each, the 8th being the boss. You're free to pick from any of the 6 worlds. It's not bad. It sorta reminds me of an updated version of TRAMPOLINE TERROR

Enemies from each of the four protagonists' world appear, which is very cool

Ice to see you har har

Awesome wavy effect in this world

The bosses are huge and pretty damn difficult. Exclusive to the Story mode (1 or 2P by the way) are bombs (hidden in blocks). If you don't have at least 1 for the bosses, life is sure going to be messy

Here are four of the six:

And this demon fellow here is my personal favorite. Look how bad-ass he is. Resting 1 hand on his cheek he uses the other to pound the tiles all while emitting laser beams from his demonic eyes. When he is defeated, you're awarded with a satisfying animation of him cracking up... as you get the final laugh!

SHOW ME THE MONEY!

But of course. The money of these games are the 4 player battles. STF! has 8 zones

Standard 1st stage except for the arrows which can effect the direction of tile flipping. Enjoy the friendly jumping lay-out here while you can...

The silver blocks are unbreakable. Jumping on blocks will break 'em, but it takes two leaps. Make sure you have a space to land back on!

Arrows act as they do in stage 1

The middle part sends you sliding across

More arrows in a sort of X-shaped field

Forces each player to jump from the get-go... who will be on the attack, who on the defensive?

Lots of solid ground in the middle, and the many blocks are home to numerous power-up's

Ice... with arrows. Note the slippery sections

CLOSING THOUGHTS

The battle zones appear a bit samey to me. They lack the "personality" of some others of this genre. But, the main thing is, the battle system is different; with the jumping, pitfalls, 8 hits... it doesn't really play like Bomberman. Some will like it, others will go crawling back to BM.

I was originally disappointed but the more I played the more it grew on me. And if you ask me to rank where I prefer STF!, Spark World and Otoboke I couldn't tell you. Any three is a fine alternative, with Tekkyu Fight! being the most different.

Yes, the acronym is coming...

It's a nice 4-player battle game but.... NAGA Bomberman

Super Tekkyu Fight! (1:07)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default BOMBS AWAY

Some nice BM clones, but let's get back to the king. This next game I wanted to play badly back in the day, but never did

SUPER BOMBERMAN PANIC BOMBER WORLD

Bomberman + Puzzle = This Game

3 Bomberman heads drop at a time, and you match 3 in a row (horizontal, vertical or diagonal). There are two codes you can enter to change the pieces:

SD Bombermen (4622)

Balloons (5656)

Why? Why not. Little touches like these are always welcomed in my book. In addition to the Bomberman pieces you have 3 others:

-The unlit bomb

-The lit bomb (put these babies on the unlit ones for a blast!)
    --->

Note: this blast will not rid the Bomberman pieces -- it ignites the unlit bombs, taking them off your field. And finally... once you've filled up your power bar... the MEGA BOMB. It can take out almost every piece on the field, depending on block positioning

--->

The Mega Bomb is the most visually impressive "clear-all-ish" piece I've seen in a puzzler. Panic Bomber actually uses a special chip. The mega bomb definitely gets the treatment as it pulsates with flames and makes a huge boom when dropped. It's sheer, raw, unadulterated POWER at its finest. Thank you, Mr. Special Chip Thingie

Of course, while the goal is to keep your playing field from filling up, the best way to beat the opposition is by crafting chain reactions. The 3-falling pieces instead of 2 format will take some getting used to for many of us, but once you do the combo's flow. Here's a basic 2 hitter

And, what Bomberman game would be one without a 4-player mode? Yes -- even in a puzzle game!

Simply brilliant... brilliantly simple. The smallness of it all might be a bit off-setting initially, but you'll quickly adjust. Besides, a tiny amount of the occasional squinting is more than worth it for a chance to duke it out with 3 buddies

And like any classic BM title, Hudson has made it very user-friendly -- 2, 3 or 4 players can play, with 1-5 matches to win the trophy. "B" allows you to go back to the previous screen. These are little things that you wish every single game was as customizable as these

Check out this 3-hit chain on the 1P side. The most I've done so far? 5 -- which, literally, is a killer

Drop the green on green...

... they vanish, dropping the blue piece...

... which diagonally connects...

... dropping a stack with a green...

... to complete the 3-hit chain

To create huge chain reactions you have to set yourself up proper. Here's another 3-hit combo of mine -- this time much easier to see. Notice I've stocked up on red and green. Not to mention some white....

Green connects horizontally...

... and diagonally! 6 piece combo

Dropping the stack of 3 reds...

Oh MY. Let's see, I see horizontal...

... vertical... AND diagonal connections!

Major poppage happens...

The white pieces fall down...

WHO'S YOUR DADDY!

Your simple run-of-the-mill 3-chain 19-piece combo

CLOSING THOUGHTS

OK, at its core it's just another puzzle game. But the Bomberman characters, coupled with the 4 player mode, make it pretty damn cool. Perfect for puzzle and Bomberman fans.

-------

BOMBERMAN B-DAMAN

Packaged with a cool toy, the game inside isn't half-shabby either. This entry in the Bomberman universe is certainly different, to say the least. And speaking of that classic Hudson customization power, B-Daman even allows you to edit your own Bomberman

The 1 player mode has 100 levels. Several bombs float along the screen and you have only 1 bomb to blow them all up. The first 10 are easy. After that they go from tricky to damn crazy

This mode can also be played with 2 players, as each player waits their turn through the same 10 stages, to see who scores better (10 stages per bracket... 10 total brackets for 100 levels... 3 slots are available to the battery backup for player history) You get a maximum of 2 tries on each stage before it moves to the next

And don't worry, before it begins there's a preview of the bombs' formation

--->

A look at some stages...

Later more obstacles are added...

Others you must rely on, like this bumper-slash-skateboarder bit

Pretty cool eh

This shark stage is one of my faves

BUT OF COURSE... THIS BEING BOMBERMAN AND ALL....

B-Daman is no exception. Here the 1st player is on the bottom. "X" sends a bomb north, "Y" west and "A" east. Just like Super Smash TV

You can't die. Instead the goal is to score as many hits as you can. Anytime you're hit, you lose 1 point (if you have any). You can pick from 30, 60, 90 or 120 seconds. I like 60 myself. You can imagine how tense it can get if you have three points and the other 3 human players have 0! (Obviously, they'll gang up on you if they know what's best for 'em)

Let's observe a quick 30-second match:

As blue sends one to the black...

... I try to sneak one in

He dodged it, the swine

If at first you don't succeed...

HIT! 1 point for me, with 15 seconds to go

Hey that red guy's been quiet...

Something to wake him up then...

2-nothing!

9 seconds to hold 'em off

Blue looks for revenge...

... but I aim back proper...

... nullifying his efforts

And winning as the clock strikes zero

CLOSING THOUGHTS

B-Daman was never meant to compete with the other (more proper) Bomberman titles. And if you want to compare it to those, it ends up feeling very lightweight. The 4-player mode isn't terribly exciting though it does have its moments, like when 3 players form a temporary union to gang up on the leading scorer

Bottom line: it won't be the 1st multi-player game you pull off the shelf, but it's enjoyable in its own unique bizarre way. Some may think of it as the 'black sheep' of the family, yet still B-Daman manages to provide a decent diversion

Panic VS CPU (1:31)
    Panic 4 Player (2:56)
    B-Daman's 1st 7 stages (2:29)
    B-Daman 4 Player (0:50)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

With DP being down, several entries were made since mid November. 4 image count has been bumped to 10, so I'll continue this topic here

originally posted Friday 11/17/06

---

1 week ago today was one for the history books for moi

November 10th I received my last package of "teh uber hard-to-find" video games. It took a month of collaborating but finally my mercenary in Japan finished the job, and what a job he did. With this score, I'm pretty much set

But I had no time to revel in its magnificence. I was on my way to a wedding banquet with my best friend. Who got hitched? Our old high school friend Christina; my best friend's old flame... and despite his efforts in coaxing me otherwise, I knew he still had feelings for her

She's the one he let get away, folks... and man she's a keeper

By the time we got off the freeway it was dark and pouring. We were stopped at a train track. As the heavy rain drops pelted the roof of his car, with the loud rumbling of the train roaring past us, it happened

JESSIE'S GIRL blared on the radio. Its cheesy yet classic 80s pop rock, not to be outdone by the tumultuous train, sliced through the cold night air with fierce vengeance

I expected him to change the station, but he never did

As the train roared on for what seemed like an eternity, we sat there in silence, taking in the ambience. I feared the lyrics would drive him over the edge....

[flashback]

Jessie is a friend
    Yeah, I know he's been a good friend of mine,
    But lately something's changed; it ain't hard to define
    Jessie's got himself a girl and I wanna make her mine

Y'know I feel so dirty when they start talkin' cute,
    I wanna tell her that I love her but the point is prob'ly moot

And I'm looking in the mirror all the time
    Wondering what she don't see in me,
    I've been funny I've been cool with the lines;
    Ain't that the way love's supposed to be?

I WISH THAT I HAD JESSIE'S GIRL!
    Tell me, where can I find a woman LIKE THAT?

[/flashback]

I dunno if it was the tranquility of that moment or some epiphany he later reached while parallel parking, but, the night was full of fun and frivolity. He showed no signs of lamenting her. That night he finally put the past behind him

Capping the night off, I arrived home tired but with enough energy left to eagerly open the big box. These games took me forever to find. And this next game is one of 'em

KEEPER

Slated to be released in the States as CYBER SLIDER, the furry little guy was replaced by a robot devoid of any charm or personality. It was canned. Thankfully this version is available in all its original glory. The title character is a likable fuzzball, who awakens when you press start

--->

*cough* Gizmo (GREMLINS)

IT LOOKS LIKE EITHER A PLATFORMER OR A PUZZLER

But of course. In this case, puzzler

SO HOW DOES IT PLAY?

You move Keeper around a five-by-five grid arranging stones. Your goal is to match 3 (or more) like-colors or like-shapes, vertically or horizontally

--->
    Like-shapes work...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

--->
    ... as does like-colors. Keeper goes HURRAH!

In addition, players have the option of changing the character into a girl or boy. The stone designs, the default being sea related things, can also be switched to letters of the alphabet or fruits. It doesn't change the gameplay but it's always nice to have choices

--->
    Typical nice-looking clean-cut princess.... as for the boy... er, best not to ask, si?

WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH THE LITTLE BASTARD?

I'll pretend I didn't hear that one... at any rate...

You can move around the borders of the 5x5 grid

Keeper can push blocks using the D-Pad. "Y" pulls, "B" jumps. And that's all you need

Poor little guy!

Players can jump ON stones and move around ON them to strategically push another stone elsewhere, provided there's room

--->

WHAT MODES OF PLAY ARE AVAILABLE?

Four:

-1P regular
    Grid starts out empty, every 3 seconds 1 stone appears, once the grid fills up it's game over

-1P puzzle
    You're given pre-placed stones and must clear them all

-2P regular
    You and a friend play on the same 5x5 grid, helping each other out

-2P VS
    1st one to clear a set amount of stones win (customizable from 1 to 99, default being 30). There's also an option for "attack mode" which allows one player to stun the other for a few seconds if they can push a block over 'em

1st to clear 30 here wins

The 1 Player Puzzle mode has 60 pre-designed stages to tackle. A password is granted after each completed level. Those who enjoy contemplatively staring at the screen until inspiration breaks with a resolute "A-HA!" will especially love this

A look at the first couple, then

SO easy even Keeper enjoys a quick nap!

Just don't connect 3 on accident

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

5 reds and 2 blues...

Think like-colors, young jedi

Excellent, now think like-...

Ah, you're catching on

5 yellows, 5 blues...

Just a matter of separating 'em...

1 down...

That was simple eh

That funky thing acts as a wild-card

Since there's only 2 blues...

Bingo

1 set down, 2 to go

Now there's only 4 reds and yellows

Whichever color 1st is fine

Hurrah!

CLOSING THOUGHTS

Fun, charming and potentially addicting. KEEPER is simply, er, a keeper
    Took me ages to find, but it was well worth the hunt

Puzzle Mode (2:05)
    Regular Mode (2:41)

Jessie's Girl related content
    -----
    VH1 names it the 20th best song of the 80's (2:02)
    Original music video by Rick Springfield (3:15)
    Remake MV by FRICKIN A (3:23)

The cameo's by Springfield in the remake are clever. Even better, the lady in green at 27 seconds in is SMOKIN'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There's obscure... and then there's obscure. Some games you love because they're great... others aren't exactly great but you love anyway because of their perks

For me the latter in those sentences ring true for this next one

SUPER MAD CHAMP is a motorcycle racer with a dash of ROAD RASH, and then some. It's unfortunate the game is mostly an unknown, considering how many me-too titles call Super Nintendo home. SUPER MAD CHAMP on the other hand managed to distinguish itself as a noteworthy and truly unique effort, and its moment in the spotlight has been long overdue

THE RIDERS

1. Typical "good looking" hero boy
    2. Token chick (complete with bouncy chest)
    3. The "cool" rebel
    4. The punk
    5. The wily if not gruffly veteran

The more you win races, knock opponents off their bikes and whatnot the more money you earn. You can buy new bikes; of which there are 12. You can tune 'em up as well

ARCADE ANTICS OR SIMULATION SHENANIGANS?

Don't be fooled by the ability to buy and tune cars that Super Mad Champ is seep with sim roots and spirit. It's an arcade-like racer all the way

GAME MODES? 2 PLAYERS? TRACK COUNT? PIC?

Two modes. Sadly it's 1-Player only

1. Grand Prix (3 cups... password is available)

2. Time Attack

Total of 18 tracks

ANY TRICKS I CAN PULL?

Press down to pop a wheelie

Whenever you jump, make sure to execute one, or else when you land you'll lose the momentum you had

Sometimes there's a dip in the road...

... other times things like this

CPU players are smart...

They ALWAYS pop one during a take-off

DASH OF ROAD RASH

Fend off the comp. with a well placed kick
    "L" for left side, "R" for right

Two hits knocks 'em off; KA-CHING!

SCROLL-PLAYING GAMES

Scrolling is what (usually) makes or breaks a game of this nature. Coming from a lesser-name company I feared the worst. I was therefore pleasantly surprised by how well it scrolls. The lack of slowdown is a major plus as well. Not a bad job here, where many others have failed. The little details are pretty ace as well

Such as these grass cuts

TRACK VARIETY

Pretty solid -- covers most the cliches and all looks pretty damn nice. Take a look for yourself

Punk swings his chain instead of kicking

Lotsa dips in this SUPER CROSS-esque track

Things get slippery here in a hurry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

--->
    "Is this Heaven?" "No... it's Iowa." Cookie if you know what classic film this is from

Airstrike!

OK, IT'S GOT SOME ROAD RASH I'LL GRANT YOU THAT

Sure

BUT IT *IS* ONLY ONE PLAYER

Ya

SO FAR I DON'T SEE HOW IT STANDS OUT, REALLY

I've saved the best for last...

YEAH, SO? THAT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME

That's what I thought at first too...

WHAT THE HELL!

My thoughts exactly!

When you manually get off your bike, or you're knocked off, this guy appears ready to fight. Both players have an energy bar and can block. It's no Street Fighter II... you can only punch and jump kick, but this basic style works

Actually, there IS one more thing you can do...

"Quit running and fight, ya bum!"

"OH S---"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

OOF!

--->
    "And now I'll jack your ride, hey great workin' wit ya... let's do lunch sometime yeah?"

Throwing bikes around -- you can't beat it. They too have an energy bar. The lower a motorcycle's energy bar, the less velocity it can travel at. This happens if the energy bar is zero:

FIGHT CLUB

Looking for an easy way to upgrade your bike? Just stop, get off and wait...

Then give 'im a good slacking and make off with HIS bike

ROADKILL

This can happen to the reckless...

Ran over while standing...

... or lying... OUCH

And you thought YOU were having a bad day!

You can even knock off passing riders if you time it right

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

STREET FIGHTER II ROOTS

No SF II... but wait-a-sec...

Hmmmmm...

--->
    Somewhere right now Guile's rollin' round in his grave!

No fancy Hadoken motions here. Those moves above merely cap off punch combo's (rapidly hitting "Y")

IT'S LIKE "BISHIN DENSETSU ZOKU" EH?

Zoku is a SFC-only racing-fighting hybrid, but Super Mad Champ really isn't like it. Fighting is optional in SMC whereas in Zoku you had no choice after the driving bit is done with. Zoku came off very meh to me. Proceed with that title at your own caution

FIGHT OR FLIGHT?

When you're off your bike you have two options: fight or flight. You have to weigh your pro's and con's. Fight too long and you'll never get back in the race. If you don't finish #1 or #2 (out of 5) you have to repeat the course. So, it's advisable, even if the CPU has an energy bar, to fight temptation and should you engage in the scruffle, make it quick and go

But if you just want to fool around? It's great fun to finish 'em off

THIS GAME IS KUNIO KUN AT HEART? SAY WHAT?

The only other piece of info on the web I could find on this game is a quick post that states the following, how accurate it is I do not know although I think his info is legit

----

For those who are fans of the Kunio-kun series like I am, might be aware that at some point Technos planned on releasing Kunio Bike Racing game using the same engine from Kunio-tachi no Banka. What few people may know however, was that Kunio-tachi no Banka was actually developed by outside company called Almanic. Almanic was comprised of former Technos staff members, including Kunio-kun and Double Dragon director and producer, Yoshihisa Kishimoto. Almanic did a bunch of other stuff, but their best known work was Wonder Project J and it's N64 sequel.

Anyway, Almanic was contracted by Technos to do Kunio-tachi no Banka (the true sequel to the very first Kunio-kun game) , in addition to the bike racing game. While Technos ditched the bike racing, Almanic decided to released it anyway through another company and thus, it became Super Mad Champ (without Kunio's presense in the game).

Mad Champ, as mentioned earlier, was developed on the Kunio-tachi no Banka-engine, meaning that both games, share a similar look. As a matter of fact, you can even get off your bike and fight agaisnt a rival biker (and steal his bike while you're at it). The rest of the game plays like a typical bike racing simulator, in which you race in three different types of grand prix and customize your bike (and buy a new one when you can). It's quite a fun little game.

credit: "Johnny Undaunted" 3/26/04
    ---

Take of that as you will! After reading that and looking at the game again... it is easy to spot the Kunio influences...

CLOSING THOUGHTS

Super Mad Champ (gotta love its campy title) was part of the package, with Keeper, and it too eluded me for ages. I was a bit apprehensive dropping a nice bill on it, fearing that it might be obscure because it sucks. Nothing could be further from the truth! The racing, being the meat of the game, is plenty solid and the extracurricular activities make it that much more fun and memorable

The actual racing (1:47)
    FIGHT FIGHT! (0:43)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Today, November 21, 2006, marks the 16th Birthday of the SUPER FAMICOM and SUPER MARIO WORLD. In my humble opinion, on this day 16 years ago the best game system of all time was born

I've been playing a spot or two of SUPER MARIO WORLD the past couple days. It's amazing how 16 years later a large majority of games still cannot touch its playability/greatness

So it's fitting, then, to look at two Super Famicom-exclusives featuring that ole Mario chum

(Note that at intermission I'll touch base on a character who has more in common with the SNES than you may think...)

MARIO & WARIO

An action puzzler in the vain of LEMMINGS or TRODDLERS. You must guide either Mario, Yoshi or the Princess to safety through courses strewn with hazards

You control a fairy named Wanda. The game uses the SNES mouse

To help me today is former SUPER PLAY editor James Leach (issue 13, Nov '93)

---

What's Mario & Wario like to play? Well, the graphics aren't incredible. They're not meant to be. The game's strength lies in its playability. It starts off really easy. All you do is click on some outlined squares in order. These fill in as you do so, allowing Mario (who's had a bucket placed over his head) to walk over them, instead of plummeting to his death. As you progress, the blocks you need to click on start to fragment, so you can't get too far ahead of Mario, else he'll still fall. It involves timing, a bit of planning and accurate use of the mouse.

Yet further into the game, there's a neat twist. Before Mario starts his lonely, bucket-headed walk, you can scroll around the playing area (which is about four screens in size). You must memorize the positions of the platforms and spikey bits, and, once the timer starts, you've got to use your memory to aim Mario off bits of the screen and onto the correct (out-of-view) platforms. It's tricky and requires concentration.

I've been saying Mario, but you can also play Daisy and Yoshi, who equate to easy and hard (Mario is medium), in your fight against the unspeakable Wario. And your mouse pointer is actually a fairy called Wanda. It's her helpful magic you're invoking as you slide around your mouse.

Once it gets going, this game's tough. And having used Macs for years, you can't tell me I don't know my way around a mouse. It's got a great panic element when Mario teeters on the edge, and for much of the game there're no random elements, so when you cock up, you've only yourself to blame.

So what about it, then? It's fun, it's simple to understand, but it gets tough and it's all a bit samey. Not a classic.

Graphics: 68%
    Sound: 64%
    Gameplay: 88%
    Gamelife: 74%

Overall Score: 70%

---

Bear in mind when it came to rating games Super Play was notoriously hard. They factored in how expensive these games were, knowing the average gamer only buys 2 to 3 games a year. What most games receive a 70% in Super Play, GameFan, for example, has given 80-85%

So by Super Play standards 70% is considered a respectable score, whereas for the much more friendly GameFan, a 70 is a low-ish mark based on their generosity

I agree with SPlay too. It's fun, but not a classic. You're not missing anything earth-shattering if you've never played it, but it's certainly worth a go if this strikes your fancy

And if you buy Mario & Wario CIB, check if it includes the little mouse card

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

INTERMISSION

When you think about the SNES, which characters come to mind?

Mario?
    Ryu
    Ken
    Link
    Lester the Unlikely?

.... on second thought, that last one's unlikely I reckon [Oh dear -Ed.]

How about...

MARK CALLOWAY?

Possibly unbeknownst to most of us, Mr. Calloway actually has more in common with the SNES than one might initially think....

Better known to wrestling fans worldwide as THE UNDERTAKER, Mark made his WWF debut with a big splash at the 4th Annual Survivor Series pay-per-view on November 22, 1990, just one day after the Super Famicom made its own big debut in Tokyo

And a legend was born...

Billed at a towering 6 foot 10, and seemingly impervious to pain, fans quickly took notice of his unparalled combination of size, power and agility

The Undertaker dominated the WWF, going undefeated for over a year in his meteroic rise to the top. Just one year removed from his debut, he made history when he pinned The "IMMORTAL" Hulk Hogan and became the new Heavyweight Champion at Survivor Series 1991

The Super Nintendo was released in the States August of that year, and as The Undertaker cemented his place in wrestling history in '91, so too did the SNES (in gaming history, mind) by beginning its worldwide march toward market domination

The Undertaker appeared in no less than six SNES games, possibly more. That's more than Ryu and Ken, and almost as much as Mario himself!

WWF Raw
    WWF Royal Rumble
    WWF Super Wrestlemania
    Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special
    Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium
    WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game

This Sunday Mark returns to the pay-per-view where he made his debut 16 years ago, taking on the young cocky rising star Mr. Kennedy in a First Blood Match at Survivor Series '06

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Undertaker and the Super Nintendo are both phenoms in their respective business. Both are celebrating 16 years of a undying legacy. And both will undoubtedly be fondly remembered for another 16 years, and, indeed, likely forever

-------

WRECKING CREW '98

Yes, released in 1998!

An update to the '85 Nintendo game, it's Mario and gang in a more traditional puzzler (at least for the '98 version). Even then, it's not your average puzzle game. For good measure, Nintendo has also thrown in the original version as a bonus

Choose between this or the '98 update

The '98 version is actually vastly different. In it you battle a CPU or 2nd player. Wielding a mallet, you navigate through your playing field smashing blocks trying to create enough trouble for the other player whereby his field is cluttered senseless

What I thought to be a real stroke of genius: once a block touches "the line of death" at the top, that player's screen will flash like crazy, accompanied by the appropriate heart-attack-inducing sound effect. Once this happens you have 3 seconds to bring it down or you lose. It adds a great deal to the anxiety level of the game.

You connect 3 (or more) like colors in a row to eliminate the blocks. However, it is only with 4 (or more) that'll send varying obstacles over to the other player. These obstacles depend on what color you've rid of. Chain reactions also will do the trick. And when your field is lacking blocks, just hit "X" to rain down a new row

Watch out for those green guys
    Of which the 2nd player just sent over
    If touched you'll be temporarily stunned

Players can climb and jump to higher floors via the girders. On the corner are handles. These can be used to slide the adjacent row, dropping unblocked pieces below to create potential matches

The computer is DAMN tough. I've yet to beat 'em. Matches can go 3, 4 minutes long. 8 characters are selectable (most have to be unlocked). 1P Story mode, 2P mode (or vs. CPU) and an option screen with multiple "how-to-play" samples

Honestly I was a bit disappointed; it's certainly not the 1st puzzler I'd reach for, but it's still a nice little package of an old classic coupled with a version for the 90's. Copies of Wrecking Crew '98 are rather hard to find and expensive; mine ran $38 and was too good to pass up on. Mario & Wario is much more common and cheap -- a measly $6 in contrast though I probably got a bit lucky with that one as well

Have a great Thanksgiving

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

SUTTE HAKKUN

There are games you hear about, and instantly know it's right up your alley. But sometimes it all seems too good to be true, and you find the game's been cancelled, never made available on physical cartridge or whatever. Sutte Hakkun was that to me -- a game I thought was an exclusive BS-X game (a type of Super Famicom downloading service in Japan)

Fact is: Nintendo did put out copies in June '98 and upon discovering this revelation I knew I had to get my hands on one. My mercenary came through

IT LIVES!!!

Sutte Hakkun is a platform-puzzler. Taking command of a translucent creature who resembles a dipping bird, your goal is to reach the rainbow orb(s) in each level. Sounds simple, right? Right...

Some levels have 2 orbs

The buttons are very simple. "B" jumps and "Y" pecks. By pecking, you can absorb helpers (i.e. blocks) and move them to new positions to help you reach the exit. There are also jars which contain red, yellow or blue paint. By pecking, you can suck the color out of a jar and transfer the paint to blocks, causing the block to move in a set pattern, depending on the color you've injected

Red goes up and down, yellow diagonally and blue horizontally. Of course they do not travel the full length of the screen... there would be zero strategy in that case. They go a short distance back and forth

LOOK WHAT I CAN DO

Absorb blocks through your proboscis [Beak! BEAK! -Ed.]

You are what you, er, absorb

Placing blocks in new positions (only after you absorb 'em)

Suck paint

Sutte Hakkun translates to "Suck and Blow" I've read. [We're all mature enough here right? -Ed.] And that's exactly what you'll be doing a lot of. In this game, I mean. At least in this game. [Oi -Ed.] You'll spend quite a lot of time sucking paint and transferring them into the translucent blocks

Of course you can freeze a block's movement by sucking the paint out of 'em, and it's this method that allows you to change a block's height to better suit your goal

Pictures to make life easier:

Red causes that block to move vertically