Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Wii to launch November 19th at $249.99

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero
    I read somewhere that the american price was not officialy released, and that 249 was the price for Japan.
    I would love to see that being the case but chances are it's 249

I would prefer to see it less mainly because I think 249 is to high for the Wii at the moment

but I will still get one just not right at launch

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Fuyukaze: Do i understand you correctly that you say that people who dont buy games within the first month for full price sux? Shouldnt they be allowed to try out the game first instead of buying it or wait for pricedrop? Is that what you're saying or am i missunderstanding something?
    Please re-read what I've said. I never claimed those who rent suck, nor did I say those who rent new systems suck either. People will do as they see fit but if their only means of playing a game reguardless of how good it is consists of rental alone then they are a parasite. Price drop? I never even mentioned price drops at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero
    I read somewhere that the american price was not officialy released, and that 249 was the price for Japan.
    You read incorrectly, at least on that latter bit. The Japanese price is 25000 yen. It would not be 249, because in Japan they don't use US dollars, and 249 yen is pocket change. :P 25000 yen converted to US dollars is approximately $215, and is the same price tag that the Gamecube had in Japan at launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've said before that I'm not seeing a huge leap in the graphics department from PS2 to the new consoles. As I figure it that makes the Wii, 360 and PS3 VERY comparable. Seeing gameplay video from the recent TGS of Lair for the PS3 I'm not convinced that this game could not be done on the Wii. Of course there may be differences between the versions if Lair were put on Wii but, I feel it would be alot like the PS2/Xbox multi-platform releases we've had already.

Honestly, I don't know why I still respond to this... I've stated before that your (Anthony) takes seem to be biased because of what you claim is impossible to compare, only one system has been released so far. Hey, Anthony. Lemme borrow your crystal ball for a while. I'd like to know what the numbers for MegaMillions are going to be for the next 5 years or so...

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first two sentances in the above post are half sarcasm and half Anthony logic. Because it is my view of last gen to this one it is now officially all of your opinions unless you happen to be crazy or like to spout off nonsence.

Awaiting the return of the Edit button...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first two sentances in the above post are half sarcasm and half Anthony logic. Because it is my view of last gen to this one it is now officially all of your opinions. Unless you happen to be crazy or like to spout off nonsence.

Awaiting the return of the Edit button...

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze
    Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Fuyukaze: Do i understand you correctly that you say that people who dont buy games within the first month for full price sux? Shouldnt they be allowed to try out the game first instead of buying it or wait for pricedrop? Is that what you're saying or am i missunderstanding something?
    Please re-read what I've said. I never claimed those who rent suck, nor did I say those who rent new systems suck either. People will do as they see fit but if their only means of playing a game reguardless of how good it is consists of rental alone then they are a parasite. Price drop? I never even mentioned price drops at all.
    Ok, i understand all now, except the parasite part. People rent to save money, what is the problem? I dont see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

This is getting old. The only comparison between the three is the one thing that matters most to the casual gamer. Price.
    Where do get the assumption that price is the most important feature to the "casual" gamer? For one, the whole idea of "casual" gamers is notoriously difficult to define, and two, video games a relative luxury item and for a great many of those in the market for video games price is relatively unimportant. This may be hard to believe for a lot of the high-school/college aged readers, but it's true. The difference between $249/$399/$599 isn't going to break the bank for a lot of us in the market for a next-gen system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Since the Wii is basically a turbo-charged GameCube,
    Oh, now I get it! You should have said this earlier?!?!? x_x

Which of these systems can play vinyl? I ask because I think your record player may be broken.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guess what, this is my last post to this thread. Next time I post anything regarding the Nintendo Wii,will be either when I get my hands on a in store Kiosk of the Wii, or when I actually get my own Nintendo Wii on November 19th.

See you then

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    This is getting old. The only comparison between the three is the one thing that matters most to the casual gamer. Price.
    Where do get the assumption that price is the most important feature to the "casual" gamer? For one, the whole idea of "casual" gamers is notoriously difficult to define, and two, video games a relative luxury item and for a great many of those in the market for video games price is relatively unimportant. This may be hard to believe for a lot of the high-school/college aged readers, but it's true. The difference between $249/$399/$599 isn't going to break the bank for a lot of us in the market for a next-gen system.
    Maybe if you're 26 and living in mom's basement and paying no rent...

One of the best times money-wise in your life is between 25 (starting to get decent income) and 30 (just before you have to save for the wedding/kids/house). I'm not a college aged kid or anyone fitting the description you threw out. I make a pretty good living yet for me the difference between 249/599 is significant enough for me to take notice. I think you're fooling yourself if you think videogames are a luxury item - that's a load of crap frankly. They are ENTERTAINMENT. Like a movie or a CD or whatever. If you think people are going to buy the same # of CD players at $200 a crack as they will at $50 a crack, you're dreaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2

One of the best times money-wise in your life is between 25 (starting to get decent income) and 30 (just before you have to save for the wedding/kids/house). I'm not a college aged kid or anyone fitting the description you threw out. I make a pretty good living yet for me the difference between 249/599 is significant enough for me to take notice. I think you're fooling yourself if you think videogames are a luxury item - that's a load of crap frankly. They are ENTERTAINMENT. Like a movie or a CD or whatever. If you think people are going to buy the same # of CD players at $200 a crack as they will at $50 a crack, you're dreaming.
    The fact remains, the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are luxury items (high-end entertainment IS a luxury, and if you don't agree, you need to get out of your suburb once and a while). And these days, a significant number of consumers are used to and prepared to spend $500+ for the luxury of cutting-edge home entertainment. Who do you think is buying up all of those $2,000 HD TVs at your local WalMart? A lot of the same guys who are in the market for next-gen system (which, not coincidentally, take full advantage of such displays). These consumers aren't put off by a $600 price tag. A "pretty good living" to one person may be a month's rent to another.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Hell, I probably earn a very good salary and yet I agree, the prices are in the range of being luxury and having to save for them for many people, even though I won't have that much problem buying them if I wanted to.

My decision is really, are they worth it?! :P

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Hell, I probably earn a very good salary and yet I agree, the prices are in the range of being luxury and having to save for them for many people, even though I won't have that much problem buying them if I wanted to.

My decision is really, are they worth it?! :P
    exactly, thank you..

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley

The fact remains, the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are luxury items (high-end entertainment IS a luxury, and if you don't agree, you need to get out of your suburb once and a while). And these days, a significant number of consumers are used to and prepared to spend $500+ for the luxury of cutting-edge home entertainment. Who do you think is buying up all of those $2,000 HD TVs at your local WalMart? A lot of the same guys who are in the market for next-gen system (which, not coincidentally, take full advantage of such displays). These consumers aren't put off by a $600 price tag. A "pretty good living" to one person may be a month's rent to another.
    There may be the odd person to whom a 'good living' is rent (although if your rent is as much as that, why the hell are you renting?) but that's not the point here.

Of course there's going to be a few early adopters who will pay whatever price. That's not the point. You're never going to be able to carry a console on those few. The point is whether its too high for most people, and it is.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Using the word luxury is correct, but personaly i dont look at people who own a new console as luxury. Owning a console today is so common.

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, owning a $700 Neo Geo AES System back in the day and shelling out $200-$400 per game was a luxury.
    right now consoles became more affordable than ever, yet of course we'll find people who are still complaining.
    we are spending money on a system that will last at least couple of years, not few months(as in case with pc's).

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, owning a $700 Neo Geo AES System back in the day and shelling out $200-$400 per game was a luxury.
    right now consoles became more affordable than ever, yet of course we'll find people who are still complaining.
    we are spending money on a system that will last at least couple of years, not few months(as in case with pc's).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Of course there's going to be a few early adopters who will pay whatever price. That's not the point. You're never going to be able to carry a console on those few. The point is whether its too high for most people, and it is.
    Actually the point is whether it's too high for the system to gain a market foothold until the first price drop. And I'm quite certan it's not. Relative to other home entertainment items that regularly sell to middle-America, the PS3 is on the low-end in terms of price. How that makes it "too high for most people" is beyond me. The problem is you're looking at video games from a "toy" price perspective, when they've clearly been in the "home entertainment" category (both in price and demographics) for years.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know whether this has been announced or not, but I will go ahead and ask. Is there any chance of component cables coming in the box? Or are we going to have to buy those seperately on day one?