Thread: Happy Birthday Sega Genesis

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Happy Birthday Sega Genesis

Sept 15th, 1989

The moment that this system walked into our lives, proudly stated "LEADER OF THE 16-BIT REVOLUTION".

Pretty much "The British are coming!" kind of story. To state when the Revolution was suppose to begin.

17 Years old today, goodness, our lil 16-Bit Hi-Def Graphics of wonder is really getting up the hill..but he's still going strong thanks to Nintendo Wii's Virtual Console, Xbox 360 XLA, and the upcoming Sega Genesis Collection for PS2/PSP.

"Your world will never be the same..."
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

happy b-day....

Man, oh man, december 25th 1989, I got my original geny....

still have it to this day, and it runs like a champ. I still remember the spending all of christmas night playing Altered Beast... "RISE FROM YOU GRAVE!"... Ah memories.

Happy Bday Genny
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

happy b-day....

Man, oh man, december 25th 1989, I got my original geny....

still have it to this day, and it runs like a champ. I still remember the spending all of christmas night playing Altered Beast... "RISE FROM YOU GRAVE!"... Ah memories.

Happy Bday Genny
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was more of a SNES junky myself, but going to a friends place and playing Toejam & Earl, Sonic, and a VASTLY superior NHL, is on par with my SNES RPG memories

I salute you, Sega Genesis!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

I had an SNES, my friend had a Genny. Oh the arguments that spurred. Nothing like staying up all night playing Thundeforce II...

Happy birthday you crazy little 16-bit machine.

SEGA!
    Welcome to Macintosh.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While i didnt get my Genesis till 1992, it's still my favorite system of all time.

16-bit forever!

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought the Genesis first started arriving in late August, or was that the TurboGrafx-16? I know both came out in 1989, somewhere around August or September, and I can't remember which one came out in limited release in New York and Los Angeles a few weeks before going nationwide.

LET THE DEBATE BEGIN!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    I thought the Genesis first started arriving in late August, or was that the TurboGrafx-16? I know both came out in 1989, somewhere around August or September, and I can't remember which one came out in limited release in New York and Los Angeles a few weeks before going nationwide.

LET THE DEBATE BEGIN!!!
    TG-16 came out first I think in last August. Today 17 years ago the Genesis came out. The Genesis was release first in NYC and LA, and then nationwide.

For the 17 years of 16-bit shmup action, I've just purchase V Five complete (Grind Stormer in the US) for $45 with shipping (shipping was $10). Very good price since the game is uncommon in Japan and goes for around $50-$75 complete.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I missed out on the Genesis until Sonic 3 came out, but thanks to the better local game shops 'round here, I've gotten a nice collection.

Yesterday, I had picked up a copy of ToeJam & Earl for $1, and that alone is worth celebrating about. I hooked my Genesis back up to test it, and I had forgotten how great that game is. I think I'm going to dig out the rest of my Genesis stuff tonight after work.

I've just been on a Sega kick lately.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1

LET THE DEBATE BEGIN!!!
    New York and Los Angeles a few weeks before was on August 14th, 1989 and that was the Sega Genesis

OFFICAL USA Release for the Sega Genesis....Sept 15th, 1989

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, now that you mention it, the TurboGrafx-16 was always known as coming out first, I think in late August, but I'm not sure of the exact date, but the Genesis technically launched before that in New York and Los Angeles, and that is the part that always confused me.

Since the New York and L.A. thing was more like a test launch, then yeah, the date that should be remembered should be September 15th, 1989. Although the date of August 14th for the test launch is an interesting sidenote.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, but as always, in these type of debates, the bottom line is "Offical Date" will always be focused on for the release date of any game or system.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sieg Sega!

Oh my, how I love the Genesis. Fuzzy warm memories surround that system and me. I remember being a freshman in highschool when I finally got one (Genesis Fighting System with SOR 2 as the pack-in).

I remember recording SOR2's soundtrack onto cassette tape and cruising around Austin with my friends in my '81 Honda Accord. Good times.

Happy Birthday Genesis!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Love mine! I'm the second owner, first owner being my brother. Now I have all three genesis systems and the power base converter so I can play my master system games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always adored my Genny. I got my first Genesis, a model 1, a year or two after it's release. My Mom found a used one along with Altered Beast and Sonic. While I had plenty of fun with both of those games, the rentals that year were awesome! Wonderboy, Exile, Phantasy Stars, etc. Great memories!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I've never really cared much for the Genesis hardware in its original configuration. However I love her younger sister, the JVC X'Eye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I owned a genesis for soon to be 14 years in Dec. I still have my model 1. It is one of the greatst systems I owned. It is shame that the genesis gets bashed and people don't considered it a sucessful system because of sega's failures or because of the amount of sports games was developed in its heyday. It was great for sports, shooters, platforms, had great zelda type games in Crusader of Centy, Beyond Oasis, landStalker along with great rpgs in Phantasy Star 2,4, Shining in the Darkness, and the Shining Force 1 and 2. The genesis also had good fighting games in Street Fighter 2: Special Champion Edition, and Eternal Champions.

I first played a sega genesis at a target in 1991 playing Sonic. That game made me sold on the system. I waited a year to get one since my brother and I were getting a nes.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is one of the systems I didn't really come to appreciate until I started collecting since I only owned an snes growing up however it has become one of my favorites systems of all time and after owning and a nomad and some of the classics (TMNT hyperstone, Gunstar, M.U.S.H.A, etc.) I was compelled to get a complete in box US collection....anyways, rock on genesis...rock on

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Genesis was an absolute classic, no question about it. Even though that thing could only put 64 colors on the screen at a time, certain developers were just masters with it, and could make games that looked easily as colorful as any SNES games. It's sound chip was kinda crappy too, but again, the right developers could make that sound chip wail! Also, the Genny could pump that bass!

The best thing about the Genny, was the fact that many mutliplatform games would simply control better on the Genny. Normally it was just a more precise control, and better collision detection. So many great classics on Genny, too many for me to try to list.

One thing that bothers me about the Genny, is the fact that most of it's library just doesn't get valued like other systems of it's era. If you look on Ebay, only a handful of Genny games really sell for anything. Loose Genny carts have very little value, especially in comparison to SNES carts or TG-16 Hu cards. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe because there are just so many damn Genny games floating around, that it's hard for them to have much value. On one hand, it's great for picking up some classic gems for cheap, but on the other hand, it pains me to see the Genny get disrespected from a valuation standpoint.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a Genesis since 1992, all I wanted was Sonic 1 and 2 for it...collected dust until 94' (just rented games during the 2 year period)...then I was excited when Sonic and Knuckles was introduced (for some reason. Sonic 3 I didnt really care much for until S&K appeared)...really sad and neglectful how I was just a Nintendo fanboi up until I finally got a Saturn in 96'.

However, I honestly didn't gain any respect for the Genesis until Spring of 99' during my Junior year in High School. I was over at my friend's house, whom had just purchased for $10 at Toys R Us...CastleVania Bloodlines. I had no idea there was a CastleVania on the Genesis, just remembering the old magazine ads for it, yet never really played it.

That game is what woke me up to explore and understand what Genesis was really all about. It really made me know that it just took a few companies to tweak the sound chip and gameplay mechanics to make the Genesis truly shine and who else but KONAMI knew how to do it right. When people tell me the sound chip in the Genesis is inferior, all i have to do is pop in Contra Hard Corps or CastleVania Bloodlines or Sonic 2 to know that it's a lie and there's nothing wrong with that sound chip, it worked out for the best. I spent the next 3 years after 99' hunting down every possible Genesis game I could find...found a Sega CD and a 32X as well...and started getting envolved with the Import Megadrive scene around 2004 thanks to an old friend of mine, whom happened to be named "Megadrive20XX" at that time...and now it's shapped me to be what I like in games, especially which era of gaming was my favorite of all time.

I take on his username, because he was really that inspirational to continue on the Genesis/Megadrive flame.

Yes I was Ghouls N Ghosts, but I just cant say I love this 1 game, because I have too much to show and tell. So, what better way then with the Megadrive itself