Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Gamestop & EB Preorders on the Wii or PS3 (PS3 cut 1/2)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I waited in line this morning from 9am till it opened at 10am, freaking cold!!! The lady said they only have 9 Wii's avaialable to pre-order and there were only 6 of us waiting in line......the other store two blocks down only had 7 available to pre-order.

Thats the story around here in Michigan.

But i bet there will be more then that cuz thats jsut bad buisness and nintendo will want to move as many systems as they can, ya know.

At least i'll have mine@ :-)
    "That's the way game chasing go~"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Pre-ordered mine today at my Gamestop of choice (where the art of douchebaggery is almost never seen).

The number 1,2,3 and 4 people in line had been there since 2:30 AM, no joke.

I was number 5, I arrived at 9:30, the store opened at 10.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, I missed out on the whole Nintendo Wii preorder thing. I was camping. REAL camping. Well actually I was in a cabin, so I guess that isn't camping to be honest. Anyways, we got back home about noon, and I hoped online and saw the news of the EB/GameStop preorders for the Wii starting today and I said, "Oh shit!". I called all the local places but they had all sold out within the first 10 minutes.

My guess is that GameStop/EB is being ultra conservative with their Wii allotment, because from what I understand, Nintendo is going to have 1 million for launch day in the U.S. If the 1 million number is correct, then that would mean that your average Target would get 60 or 80 or even more. So I'm hoping to still be able to snag one at a Target or something on launch day. Of course, Nintendo has been known to fake scarcity to drive up demand (N64 launch anyone?), so who knows what might happen. I know I can get my hands on a Wii prior to Xmas, but I'm a launch day type of guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Damn, I missed out on the whole Nintendo Wii preorder thing. I was camping. REAL camping. Well actually I was in a cabin, so I guess that isn't camping to be honest. Anyways, we got back home about noon, and I hoped online and saw the news of the EB/GameStop preorders for the Wii starting today and I said, "Oh shit!". I called all the local places but they had all sold out within the first 10 minutes.

My guess is that GameStop/EB is being ultra conservative with their Wii allotment, because from what I understand, Nintendo is going to have 1 million for launch day in the U.S. If the 1 million number is correct, then that would mean that your average Target would get 60 or 80 or even more. So I'm hoping to still be able to snag one at a Target or something on launch day. Of course, Nintendo has been known to fake scarcity to drive up demand (N64 launch anyone?), so who knows what might happen. I know I can get my hands on a Wii prior to Xmas, but I'm a launch day type of guy.
    That sucks that you missed the pre order. I wish you the best of luck in getting a Wii. I am a silly deranged launch guy myself. I don't know what it is - my friends think i'm crazy. I'm going to be spending almost $1000 next month.

I made it to Game Stop yesterday morning at about 8am and I was #4 the other three folks were there at 6am and after I showed up the line just seemed to grow until there were 14 and then that was it. Everyone else got sent away and were told to check the other stores near by.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Uh oh

This is not so good news dunno if it real or how much of an impact it will have but news is news I guess.

Last month, retailer GameStop began accepting "limited" preorders for the PlayStation 3, asking customers to put down $100 in advance for the system, with a modest expectation of eight units per store in most cases. Now it appears the largest gaming specialty chain in North America won't be receiving even that many systems.

A GameStop representative told GameSpot today that the company received launch allocation numbers from Sony, and that it won't be able to fill its existing PS3 preorders. The representative declined to comment on how many systems GameStop expected to receive, or how short of that figure the company's share of systems would be.

"We are beginning to notify our customers that our initial shipment of PS3 systems will not be what we expected," the representative said. "As this is not an ideal situation, we are asking employees to wait to purchase systems until the second shipment. We are anticipating having systems to cover reservations before Christmas."

For launch day, preorders will be filled in the order they were received, and those who had a preorder but are denied a system on day one will receive something for their troubles. GameStop will give those unfortunate customers (as well as unfortunate employees) a free used game or DVD valued at $19.99 or less when they eventually wind up purchasing the system.

Those who reserved a system won't need to wait long to find out if they can expect a system on launch day. Starting tomorrow, customers who preordered a PS3 will be contacted personally by phone and updated on the status of their reservation, the rep said.

And while it might be a nonissue considering the clamor for consumers to get their hands on the coveted systems, GameStop is also asking anyone with a confirmed preorder to pick their systems up by Saturday evening.
    From http://www.gamespot.com/news/6161580...80&sid=6161580

I guess I will find out tomorrow if I have secured one

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I called the manager and I was number 8 on the list, and JUST made the cut off. I will be getting the 60 GB model on Friday morning at 9am. My store took 16 reserves.

-GAC-
    #vbender

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

I called my GS in Dallas and they said I made it for Friday but they would not tell me how many after that. I was #1 in line and he did say that not everyone was getting theirs. They took 8 preorders so it is less than 8 for sure.

I'll try and get a more definitive answer later today.

This whole situation bites

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I lost mine...

I'm good friends with the DM, and I can shed some interesting light on this...

THIS TIME, it's not Sony's fault (it was MS's fault for the 360 launch- they gave numbers and then cut them). On a conference call last night it was admitted that EB/GS NEVER HAD confirmed allocation numbers from Sony! They were guessing, and thought they were guessing low.

The DM also tells me that Sony has said they will get enough systems to EB/GS to fulfill preorders by Christmas

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

My friend lost his as well... however from what he was told by his brother who works at the GS he preordered from, ALL employee/family preorders have been bumped until a later date which hasn't been determined. He was #1 on that stores list.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I feel kinda sorry for the ebay pre-orders that were sold. Imagine how much of that money just went to waste in paypal/ebay fees.... Not to mention the people who will not recieve their ps3

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    I can guarantee you that we will see PS3 auctions that hits over $1000. The thousands and thousands of people who pre-ordered want the system for themself, only a very small fraction of them buy just to sell on Ebay.
    Where's everyone that bragged about reselling PS3 on eBay now? Even more ironic is that Sony supplied less than half of what's promised (which should've pushed the final prices even higher), yet the average final prices fall below $1000 within 24 hours after launch, as of now, you can win a 60GB PS3 on eBay for under $900 shipping included, the unit below even has free shipping, ouch!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PlayStation...QQcmdZViewItem

As for those holding out to sell them for Xmas, forget it, number of units on eBay have spiked back up to nearly 20000 (higheset was 35000 during launch day), you might want to return those units to stores instead.
    Last edited by vincewy; 12-08-2006 at 05:20 PM. Reason: fix link