Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gamestop & EB Preorders on the Wii or PS3 (PS3 cut 1/2)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

I preordered my Wii at FYE for $50 down. You guys should try that.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    Quote Originally Posted by geneshifter
    especially if you have a Fry's near you
    Hey, speaking of Fry's, would that be a better place to attempt to get a Wii at launch day, compared to Best Buy? Anyone here had experience with Fry's for the 360 or another launch?

Not really. I don't think Fry's will get more Wii's than say Best Buy or Target or Wal-Mart or Costco. Costco might be the best place, because they usually do a special bundle and add something more for not as much money. With the Wii, I'm really hoping they include a extra Wii-Mote and a extra nunchuck for an additional $40, instead of the additional $60 it would cost if bought seperately. I wouldn't be at all suprised to see Costco do a bundle like that. Or maybe they include Zelda with it, but charge an additional $30, instead of an additional $50.

The one nice thing about Fry's, is they open pretty early in the morning on Sundays, during the holidays. They could open as early as 8am that morning, so if you are a early bird and show up early, you should be able to get a Wii from them. The best thing to do, is to talk to the department manager the night before and ask them exactly how many units they will actually have for sale in the morning when they open. Sometimes the managers won't want to disclose the exact numbers, but just let him know that you will be camping out front and you're just trying to find out the number of systems, so that if there are more people in line than systems you aren't waiting out in the cold for nothing.

Personally, I'm not going to camp for the Wii, I don't think it's going to be necessary, but I think it will be necessary to find a store that is getting a good number of them, and be there maybe an hour or two before they open. Being there all night long is probably overkill and not needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    I don't think it's going to be necessary, but I think it will be necessary to find a store that is getting a good number of them, and be there maybe an hour or two before they open. Being there all night long is probably overkill and not needed.
    I think its gonna be hard to find. Right before the holidays. Right in the midst of all the hype from the media and the MTV specials. Hopefully you are right though, I dont want to camp out to get my 2nd one. (getting one to give as a gift)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, do PS3 and Wii pre-orders start tomorrow? I've always heard that it will start in October, and tomorrow is October 2nd, plus the managers will be back from the manager meeting in Texas. If it doesn't start tomorrow, it is likely that it will start sometime this week or at least by next Monday October 9th, you would think. So I'm guessing this is the week to be on your toes when it comes to getting a PS3 or Wii pre-order.

Maybe a GameStop or EB employee could check in with their take on the matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm calling in the morning.
    Negative, negative! We have a Wildcat destabilization of the ship's fusion core!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

anyone receive the preorder info?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    itsmeFAMOUS

I actually went in to EBgames about an hour ago and they told me they havent started to take preorders yet for the Wii...I asked him if he knows when they will start , he said "heres our card call us & ask as much as you can, you know as much as i do" And i only get game sh*t at this store threw this guy and i know he isnt bullsh*tting me... So im gonna call everyday and ask if the preorders are ready yet... I dont think you have to bring in used games towards a preorder thats never happened, its probably $10 bucks and your name... n-e-ways i cant wait! oh i live in scottsdale ,arizona

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Called this morning. They aren't taking them yet. As far as I was told, each store will know how many units they are getting, so they will only be taking pre-orders up to that point. At least this way, you that if you're on the list, you're getting one.

I'm going to call every morning. It will almost certainly be this week.
    Negative, negative! We have a Wildcat destabilization of the ship's fusion core!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kejoriv
    I preordered my Wii at FYE for $50 down. You guys should try that.
    I need to go do that for Wii.

I did it for PS3, or rather, LOTS of PS3's.

That's my eBay inventory, lolz.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

Quote Originally Posted by WanganRunner

Be prepared to pay a shat load. FYE is having "forced bundles" for the PS3. I confirmed this with 3 different store managers.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Be prepared to pay a shat load. FYE is having "forced bundles" for the PS3. I confirmed this with 3 different store managers.

FYE will be lucky to even get one or two units per store. So if you aren't the first or second dude on the list, I wouldn't expect to get one from them before Xmas. I'm on a list at GameCrazy, and they will actually get a few more units than FYE, but only a few more, and I'm 10th on the list, and there isn't a chance in hell they will get 10 PS3's at launch. In fact, I'll be lucky to get one from them before Xmas.

As for the forced bundles, if you are going to Ebay the system anyways, a forced bundle might not be that bad of a deal. Let's say you are forced to buy 5 extra games or something. Even if you had to sell those 5 games at a $15 loss each, you would still only lose $75, but you would have a PS3 that could fetch up to 2 grand. You do the math. I would love a forced bundle at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Apparently, Game Rush is planning on taking preorders on the wii.

Right now they're just getting phone numbers to call people at when they start, but the girl I talked to confirmed that they will be doing so.

Haven't heard anything about Gamestop, though.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just spoke with a manager of Game Crazy he said that chances are no preorders will be accepted for the WII and it will most likely be a "first come first serve" deal. Due to the fact that Nintendo hasn't released any numbers for them.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

The manager at EB said there would be no preorders for the PS3 (managers choice?). They will only be receiving eight or nine units and they will be sold first come first serve (camping).

As for the Wii; they have received no information on how many systems they will receive, amd cannot make a decidsion on whether or not they will take preorders until then.

Seems unlikely I will get a PS3 at launch...doubt I will be willing to camp that long...

Later,
    Trebuken

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

FYE will be lucky to even get one or two units per store. So if you aren't the first or second dude on the list, I wouldn't expect to get one from them before Xmas. I'm on a list at GameCrazy, and they will actually get a few more units than FYE, but only a few more, and I'm 10th on the list, and there isn't a chance in hell they will get 10 PS3's at launch. In fact, I'll be lucky to get one from them before Xmas.
    Crap, I hate when we have to do forced bundles. And for your info, when the 360 came out, launch day we had 7-8 of them.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, do PS3 and Wii pre-orders start tomorrow? I've always heard that it will start in October, and tomorrow is October 2nd, plus the managers will be back from the manager meeting in Texas. If it doesn't start tomorrow, it is likely that it will start sometime this week or at least by next Monday October 9th, you would think. So I'm guessing this is the week to be on your toes when it comes to getting a PS3 or Wii pre-order.

Hey, here's an idea! How about not calling in every day and just wait for news to surface on the internet (like the first post in the thread). Odds are that when Gamestop corporate-then-regional-then-local management knows, someone will run home and post a single post about it somewhere on the internet. 15 minutes later the info will be on IGN. 10 minutes later it will be on Slashdot. 5 minutes after someone will post that info in this thread.

Just an idea, that's all. Odds are equally good when this news breaks the stores will be closed. OR the date for starting to take preorders will be days off. Or maybe even weeks. Or maybe never!!!

Did you ever think of that?

IDEA!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DonMarco

Hey, here's an idea! How about not calling in every day and just wait for news to surface on the internet (like the first post in the thread). Odds are that when Gamestop corporate-then-regional-then-local management knows, someone will run home and post a single post about it somewhere on the internet. 15 minutes later the info will be on IGN. 10 minutes later it will be on Slashdot. 5 minutes after someone will post that info in this thread.

Just an idea, that's all. Odds are equally good when this news breaks the stores will be closed. OR the date for starting to take preorders will be days off. Or maybe even weeks. Or maybe never!!!

Did you ever think of that?

IDEA!!!

Actually, I try my best to call GameStop and EB daily and check in with them directly. Sometimes there are employees that find out about things a few days in advance and then post it on DP. That's what I was asking about. I'm definitely trying my best to check in daily, because I honestly think the preorder thing is going to start on a certain day, and it's just going to happen. I think the corporate offices normally have a morning email that all the GameStops and EB read, and I think one day it's going to be in their morning email. I call every day when I remember, but the honest truth is that calling might not be good enough. I can call them at 10:01 am, and they could say, "We are starting today, we are starting right now, and by the time I get over there, 10 people could have already pre-ordered the thing and I'm SOL. So if one of the DP members is an employee of EB or GS, maybe they get the early word, and can post it a day in advance, then I know to actually be waiting in front of the local GS to open the next day.

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went to a gamestop yesterday and they told me that they wont be taking any preorders and you would have to camp to get one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, this is definitely not the case for EB.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaJoey23
    Well, this is definitely not the case for EB.
    My EB manager said it is true for the PS3, though suggested that stores with larger allocations may do things different. He is only expecting 8 or 9, and said first come first serve...

Later,
    Trebuken