Thread: Super 64?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Super 64?

Hey all, I was at a pawnshop-ish place a while back and saw a mysterious N64 cartridge labeled "SUPER 64". The top had another cartridge port that I couldn't quite identify, perhaps Super Famicom--an SNES cart fit but the pins didn't seem to line up.

Any idea what the hell this thing was? Worth anything? I'm pretty sure it's still there. Sorry I don't have a picture of it right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's almost certainly an import adapter. Were you able to try plugging an N64 cart into it? The connector on an N64 cart is very similar in dimensions to the ones on most SNES games.

While there was an accessory available for the N64 called the Tristar 64 that let youy play SNES/Super Famicom cartridges through your N64, it was rather large because the Hong Kong pirates never got good at making pirate SNES systems the way they did NES systems. The Tristar 64 also plays Famicom 8-bit carts, but if you take the thing apart, you'll see that the Famicom adapting part is only about 1cmX8cm, while all the whole rest of the Tristar 64 attachment is devoted to recreating the SNES hardware and the thing is ultimately about as large as a SNES system itself. So if the Super 64 that you saw was roughly the size of an N64 cartridge, then it wouldn't be a SNES converter.

So yeah, probably for imports. There are two different kinds of import adapters for the N64. There's the ones that just allow Japanese games to be played on US systems (or vice versa), which don't really do anything except extend the N64's cartridge port so that you can plug in Japanese carts without having to remove the plastic tabs that are the only things that prevent inter-compatibility between Japanese and US N64s. Then there's also import adapters that let you play NTSC games on PAL systems (and vice versa), those are more desirable obviously, but one of those would have a second cartridge port on the back of the adapter for the needed passthrough cart. So what you saw was probably the first kind of adapter, not very useful unless you really really don't want to alter your N64. Also not very useful unless you want to spend a ton of money to get the handful of good Japanese exclusive N64 games.

...word is bondage...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm..

I have a Super 8 which attaches to the SNES and allows me to play, NES games on it. Think it may be compatible with Super Famicom and maybe Famicom with an adapter...

I should try it...

I'd guess the Super 64 to be the Nintendo 64 version, unless it's a backup device...

Later,
    Trebuken

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm..

I have a Super 8 which attaches to the SNES and allows me to play, NES games on it. Think it may be compatible with Super Famicom and maybe Famicom with an adapter...

I should try it...

I'd guess the Super 64 to be the Nintendo 64 version, unless it's a backup device...

Later,
    Trebuken

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm..

I should try it...

Later,
    Trebuken