View Poll Results: Favorite DKC Game?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • DKC 1 (Donkey & Diddy FTW)

38 52.78%
  • DKC 2 (Diddy & Dixie Tag-Team)

28 38.89%
  • DKC 3 (Dixie & Kiddy, the ultimate team-up)

6 8.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Donkey Kong Country game.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

For right now (At Krazy Kremland) I'm not finding DKC2 not all that hard, except for getting to some Bonus Barrels and hero Coins. DKC3 is the one that really upped the ante on difficulty, especially Razor Ridge's boss.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I remember as a kid the lightning stage in DKC3 seemed excruciatingly difficult, but I breezed through it quite easily a couple years ago when I replayed the game again. Similarly, I remember the sea urchin boss being way more difficult too.

On the subject of DKC3, one of the things I found most disappointing about it was that the music wasn't even a fraction as good as in DKC2, or even DKC. The explanation behind the change was that the first game had a few different composers, with Dave Wise doing the most songs, then Dave Wise, the most talented of Rare's musicians, did all of the music in DKC2, but DKC3 had an entirely different composer. The result wasn't necessarily bad, but DKC3's soundtrack just wasn't very memorable. What's interesting, though, is that the GBA version of DKC3 has a brand new soundtrack, all by Dave Wise. I've yet to get the GBA game myself, but it's definitely something to take note of by anyone who enjoys the music from the series.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DKC1 by far. I finally was able to beat it in 52 minutes all the way through. Next would have to be #2 and then #3. DKC2 does get pretty hard towards the end but I find myself liking that Number 3 was just too easy IMO.
    NintendoAGE - The best NES database engine available on the net!

My Collection - Well, kinda. One of these days I will actually get a pic of the whole collection and post it on there. Until then, I only have a few games in there with some additional collection info stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DKC
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Donkey Kong Country is to this day my favorite of the 3, namely for nostalgia reasons.
    I am teh winnar of the internet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

DKC 2 is my favorite game in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell
    For right now (At Krazy Kremland) I'm not finding DKC2 not all that hard, except for getting to some Bonus Barrels and hero Coins. DKC3 is the one that really upped the ante on difficulty, especially Razor Ridge's boss.
    It gets harder after that. Wait until you reach K. Rool's Keep - there are some tough levels there - Castle Crush, Toxic Tower, Chain-Link Chamber...

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Donkey Kong Country 3
    Donkey Kong Country 2
    Donkey Kong Country

For me. 3 is probably my favorite game of all time. Great great series. Too bad we will never probably see anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first DKC is by far my favourite. I like DKC2 as well, but I can't stand DKC3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, number 1 had the big WOW factor with the graphics and all, and it was a very fun game, I've definitely played it the most. But I'm going to have to vote for 2 because it provides the most challenge and I still play it today. DKC3 however I am not a fan of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Donkey Kong Country did have a wow factor, but Donkey Kong Country 2 just had more of everything: better graphics, better sound, more levels, better levels, more enemies, more clever level designs, etc. I haven't played much of DKC3, but the first two worlds didn't really match up to DKC2. DKC2 for the win.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

It's been awhile since I played 1, but does it sometimes seem like there's too few playing levels in the areas of DKC2 and 3 (I forget exactly with 3 for sure)?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also thought part 2 was the best in the trilogy. Rare just made too many improvements plus both Diddy and Dixie were interesting and quick characters to use.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Mark30001's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrgh, this is a tough one. It's nearly a tie between 1 and 2, I just loved both of them!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

I still remember the day I got Donkey Kong Country, and I dont remember stuff like that.....ever!

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

It seems the poll has closed but I would say the original game, I never liked playing too much as the supporting characters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been replaying these games lately, and I thought I'd share some thoughts.

DK Country - Legendary game, I feel so much nostalgia playing it. Strangely, it is the only game in the trilogy that lets you play as Donkey Kong himself, which makes it feel pretty special. Diddy is a great character, I'm glad he's managed to stay alive and kicking throughout the years. In fact, I like all of the Kong characters in this game, especially Cranky (the OG Donkey Kong). The level design is solid. Aside from the mine cart parts, most of the levels are pretty standard to the platformer genre (jungle, cave, ice level, etc.) but they're varied enough that I don't mind. The music is really good, a lot of the tracks such as Jungle Japes and Aquatic Ambiance have become classics. The only bad things about the game are the comically easy boss fights and the lack of the hidden coins and such that were in the other two games.

DKC2- Usually considered the best of the three for a multitude of reasons. The level design is pure genious, the soundtrack is like sex for your ears, and the team of Diddy and Dixie is the most fun and versatile. Unlike the first, the game has boss fights that don't suck, and the additions of the DK coins and the lost world made you replay the game until you knew each level like the back of your hand. The game has an overall pirate theme which is pulled off quite nicely and manages to be present throughout the game without limiting its variety. There is really nothing negative I can say about the game.

DKC3 - Released at the end of the SNES's lifecycle and is often forgotten. While Kiddy isn't necessarily a bad character like some would say, he is definitely less interesting than Donkey, Diddy, and Dixie. Nintendo seems to have pretty much forgotten about him too. DKC3 is by far the wackiest of the series, with bananna birds, gimmicky levels (running from a giant saw in a vertically scrolling stage, a level where you get an enemy as a pet who you have to keep feeding or he eats you, a rocket ship stage), and other generally strange things. The overworld that you can freely explore is kinda cool, and the trading sequences with the Bear brothers are nice little sidequests. The music, while still good, is the weakest of the three, though some songs like Rockface Rumble are among the best of the series. Level design is great, though not as good as that in DKC2. The boss battles are probably the best of the trilogy, with the over-the-shoulder snowball fight against a psychotic snowman being one of my personal favorites. There are lots of things to collect, and the flag system that was included makes it easy to quickly understand what you still need to find in each stage.

I can't really decide which one I like best, there are great things about all of them. Hopefully we'll see a number 4 someday, but I'm not holding my breath.
    "It's Time To Kick Ass And Chew Bubble Gum......And I'm All Outta Gum"

-Duke Nukem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I love them all, but I feel that DKC2 is the best. It's got the most creative level design (both in how they look and how they play), it's challenging, has the best music, and the graphics are better than the original (and fairly on par with DKC3). And even though Donkey Kong is fun to play just because he's a legend, I think Diddy and Dixie make the best pair when it comes to versatility.
    Aussie2B and Frica89, I agree. Donkey Kong Country was good, but DKC 2 is brilliant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Elysiun
    PSN
    Sabaku_Hoshi
    Steam
    Nionel

I have to agree, as much as I love the first DKC, the second one is such a great game. I actually played all the way through the second game for the first time just a couple months ago and its one of the best games I've played in recent memory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite DKC game is DKC2. The 3rd one was pretty cool aswell, but I prefer the 2nd one. I really have no idea, why so many people picked the 1st one.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Animaniac's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to like the first the best but not that I own all three, I give 2 the edge.
    NA SNES collection: 200/724
    Incoming: Nothing
    Last acquired: Too many to mention
    View my collection here (in glorious text-o-vision!)
    http://vgcollect.com/snesmaster