Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which to get the Wii or GC version of zelda?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At the risk of being chased out of the DP community by rampaging crowds wielding torches and pitchforks (hopefully to be given shelter by a guy spilling hot soup in my lap), I have to admit I've never really played any Zelda at all.

In college I spent about 5 minutes playing a friend's original Zelda on the NES, and just didn't 'get' it.

The only videogame RPG I've ever really spent any time with was Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast, and I didn't think it was as terrific as most people seem to think.

Now, having said all that - there seems to be a lot of excitement and hype about the new Zelda on the GC/Wii. If I decide to give it a try, would I even understand what's going on, having no previous Zelda knowledge? Or would this be like jumping in very late to a multi-episode TV or Movie series?
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

You don't really need any previous knowledge to jump into the game, since they (for the most part) tend to be self-contained episodes. There will most likely be plenty of referrences to Ocarina of Time (since it's sort of a sequel to the N64 game), but I doubt it would ruin your experience.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I plan on getting the Wii version also, but not for a while since I don't have a Wii and won't get one till about June or whenever I get my tax return.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JJNova View Post
    I'll be getting the Wii version, although I want to tell you to get the Gamecube version and not support Nintendo's decision to change 25 years of tradition, and suddenly make Link right-handed because some pansies can't adjust. We lefties have been adjusting for thousands of years, let us have our one damn game!

Plus, it's a polygonal character in a virtual environment, it's not like when you swing with the sword, he has to have delayed reactions because he's forced to follow the rules of physics. Oh well. Support left handed link, buy the GC version! :P
    I don't understand why Twilight Princess (and all other Wii games similarly situated) can't have a "left/right hand option" available via game option screen to accomodate different players. [/late response]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    I don't understand why Twilight Princess (and all other Wii games similarly situated) can't have a "left/right hand option" available via game option screen to accomodate different players. [/late response]
    'Course JJNova is a Wii Zelda bitch now so I guess he figured it out eventually

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some reason I cans see the GC version being worth some cash some day. The Wii version will probably far out sell it in the future and the GC version will probably only be available for a short time to appease GC owners...

I'll probably pick up the GC version, leave it sealed and put it on a shelf somewhere...

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yessir. Zelda has consumed every available moment i have with the television. Between fighting my wife to stop playing Wii Bowling, and her watching some sappy movie. The game is awesome. I'm claiming it as Game of the Year. Although I still get upset to see everything in the game is mirrored. In reference to my original post, both Zelda and ...

ok. Hold on. This might be a spoiler for people, so I want to post this warning here. Skip the rest of my post if you don't have the game yet. Thanks.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************
    So like, both Ganon and the offspring of Zelda also have their Triforce birthmarks reversed. It's annoying to me, as a long time fan of the series, to see things like this. I know most people would look at it as a miniscule moment in the games, but of course when something involves the Triforce, there is a cutscene that focuses on said birthmarks. So when I see that Zelda and Gannon(dorf) are now left handed, while my Hero of Time is currently right handed, it still irks me. I know this is just a rant and rave, but at least I have a place like DP to do it, and still seem somewhat sane for my crazy video game infatuation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

easy awnser - both!

I'll play the Wii version, and keep the GC version shrinkwrapped because it'll probably be rare later on.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drewbrim View Post
    Ditto. Oh, and the chance of any zelda game for a nintendo console being rare is inconceivable.
    That is right. I think what the people who are using the word "rare" mean to say is that when it is all said and done, the GC version will probably cost more in a game store, on these type of forums or on Ebay than the Wii version. That is their opinion, anyway, but only time will tell. It could even be said the Wii version would end up being worth more, because it is supposedly a "better" and more "definitive" version. At least if you believe Nintendo.......

When people decide which version of a new game to buy, solely based on how "rare" it might be someday or how much it will be worth down the road, sometimes they can end up "outsmarting" themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoMan View Post
    I will be getting both, I have had the GC version reserved since like Nov. of 05.
    I can totally understand getting both if you are a hardcore collector. But if you're not, why get both? It's the same game with diffeerent controls (and different handed Link's).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So did anyone just get it for the wii or gamecube or for both systems?

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FYI... circuit city has the GC version for 37.99 this week... got it..
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

I got the Wii version and I'm glad I did. Except for the sword swinging, which is kind of a gimmick and adds little, the rest of the controls make it more fun IMO. Lots of fun stuff to do. And, I have been fishing my fool head off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I have the Wii version and picked up the GCN version yesterday. I don't know why but I figured why the hell not.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which is better?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I havent had a chance to play the GC version yet so I'm not sure.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snkryo View Post
    Which is better?
    Neither, both offer the same game, same content. Only difference is the type of controller
    *insert signature >here<*

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool news, glad I opted for the GC version.
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    Neither, both offer the same game, same content. Only difference is the type of controller
    And one is apparently "flipped"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    For some reason I cans see the GC version being worth some cash some day. The Wii version will probably far out sell it in the future and the GC version will probably only be available for a short time to appease GC owners...

I'll probably pick up the GC version, leave it sealed and put it on a shelf somewhere...
    ebay already has this game selling above retail!