Thread: "Digital" 5200 Controllers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default "Digital" 5200 Controllers.

Well, I've had enough.

Berzerk and Qix, as well as several others, are great 5200 games, but those stupid $@&*#%*&$ controllers!

So- my next project is to rewire one 5200 controller into another, a "regular" controller, to make a standard one for the 5200.

I've taken apart 5200 controllers before. Although I have to use a multi-tester yet, I've noticed what appear to be two potentiometers in it; it's like using a pair of paddle controllers to move something about. Therefore, I have to find out what the Ohms are for the directions, and "neutral,' once done, it will be a tricky but not impossible task to get the proper resistances installed- parallel connections for resistors, for example.

It'll make Berzerk and Ms. Pac-Man playable!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Funny, I've had no luck with any CV emulators or the like, but in hardware modification, quite a bit.

GBC: now acts like a GBA as far as power supply goes: the AC adapter goes directly to the batteries, so a power outage will not lose a game, and it can power small items, such as LED lights and radios.

CV "4-Button" controller: a flick of the switch, and Buttons 1 and 3 act as the other two buttons on a Super Action Controller.

No-Battery Driving Module.

5200 repairs: The controller plug was ruined completely...it took quite a bit of soldering, but the rather odd set-up does work.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

As a side note, atariage sells an adapter that lets you use an atari 2600 controller on the 5200 (or is it a 7800? I forget). You can keep the 5200 controller plugged in too, iirc for the number pad and the start and reset buttons too.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    As a side note, atariage sells an adapter that lets you use an atari 2600 controller on the 5200 (or is it a 7800? I forget). You can keep the 5200 controller plugged in too, iirc for the number pad and the start and reset buttons too.

-Rob
    More information here...

http://www.atarihq.com/museum/5200/mstrplay.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: "Digital" 5200 Controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aswald
    Therefore, I have to find out what the Ohms are for the directions, and "neutral,' once done, it will be a tricky but not impossible task to get the proper resistances installed- parallel connections for resistors, for example.
    I addition to the information everyone else has supplied, the 5200 FAQ has a circuit which already tells you how to do exactly what you are proposing to do. I built it a few years ago without any problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Thanks, but it won't work on mine.

Because of the damage that my 5200 came with, I had to wire the ports in a very strange way. The result was that all of the controllers were "off:" centering them caused the on-screen character to go off in certain directions. Therefore, I had to readjust the controllers to compensate. Those controllers will not work properly on any 5200 but mine.