Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sony Cuts Price on the Playstation 3 (PS3)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Thomas
    What exactly are we missing from the $499 model?
    20GB HDD instead of a 60GB HDD, no flash card reader, and no WiFi.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs
    What exactly are we missing from the $499 model?
    20GB HDD instead of a 60GB HDD, no flash card reader, and no WiFi.

I wonder if we can buy a Wi-Fi add on for the $499 model at a later date. I might actually consider that version, if I have a chance to snag one. To be honest, I should get the Wi-Fi built in, but saving 100 snaps would be nice. The HDMI was the driving force behind me wanting the premium version, but now that it's on both of them, maybe I could live with a ethernet cable be ran to where the PS3 is located. Hmmm

The other factor is that only 20 percent of the PS3's will be the cheaper version, so those are going to be very hard to come by, but if other people aren't interested in those, shit, I'll take one

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I also understand that the cheaper PS3 won't include memory card slots. If that's the case, would you be able to save PS2 games on the hard drive? Or will saving be out of the question?

The more I'm thinking of it, the cheaper PS3 is a better deal, if HDMI is going to be included. Another $100 for wifi and 40GB hard drive? Just what are we supposed to use that hard drive for? I already have a computer. I'm just trying to understand why this model has been universally panned when it was announced. It's sounding like the opposite of the 360 to me.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really hope that the 60gb version have LAN input too, not just WiFi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's hope for me yet. I really don't know where you guys get off always making blanket statements about what bundles are useless and pointless and just plain "assinine" for ANYBODY to buy.. when you're not world leaders speaking for the rest of us.

I've been using the same TV for close to 15 years. It's a 25" RCA ColorTrak stereo monitor. It's got a coax cable hookup and yellow video input on the back with R & W audio inputs. That's it.. no component.. no RGB.. not even a frickin' S-Video. It has ran like a trooper.. countless hours.. for ALL those years with not one visit to the repair shop. Sure.. I'd love to have a better TV.. but unfortunately real-life commitments make that impossible right now. The ol' RCA keeps on chugging.. it's screen is still sharp enough for me to read the tiny-assed print in Culdcept just fine and the colors are as rich and vibrant as the day it was bought (NO LIE!). My friend tells me the rated life expectancy on his $4500 TV is 5 years.. sweet.

All of my current gen consoles look great on it (PS2,GCN,Xbox) hooked up through that single yellow cable. Not all of us in the world have the latest and greatest. Having said that.. I've been bummed about the next gen consoles. My friend's got a $4500 Mitsubishi widescreen DLP and he's always reminding me that it would be pointless for me to even consider buying a next gen console. Considering that a decent sized HDTV nowdays is STILL going to run you 4 or 5 times what the most expensive next gen console will.. I'd given up hope as my "priorities" though assbackwards.. still seemed unobtainable.

THERE IS still a market out there for the Xbox 360 core AND this cheaper PS3.. people like me; and I STILL tend to think that in a world/country (even our rich, overly materialistic, narcissistic US society) where the majority of us STILL don't have broadband.. and HDTVs are NOT the norm.. reserved for the few of our friends who are obsessed with "keeping up with the Jones'es" (like mine) there is a choice. I don't give a rat's ass about WiFi and mem card slots. I'm still trying to fill up a 60 gig HD on my PC.. what makes me think I need one on a gaming console? HDMI? Yeah.. for me.. in another 20 years. My first HDTV capable device is coming soon.. a 19" widescreen monitor for my PC.

It's reassuring for me to know that there still may be a reason for me to try and keep up with the rest of the world.. at least when it comes to the games they're playing. Last night I took my newly arrived Xbox Dreamfall game over to my friend's house.. hadn't even been opened yet. He was in the next room when I plugged it into his system and asked me what that retching noise was. I said it was me puking over the jaggies I saw in the game on HIS TV even though it was all dialed in on 480P. When he came out he smugly said, "Don't worry.. it'll probably look fine on your TV." Yeah.. you know what? It did. Like Anthony says., "garbage in equals garbage out" (I learned that back in my COBOL & FORTRAN days back in college.).

I'm now certain that although I DON'T have the latest and greatest medium to take full advantage of, and appreciate the latest that MS, Nintendo and Sony have to offer.. they WILL look just fine on my funky old dilapidated, out-of-date, antique TV. I'm sure that when I purchase them.. I'll still be blown away over how much better they look than my current gen consoles.. and when I win the lottery.. I'll be all set for a new TV. So there.. :P .
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also understand that the cheaper PS3 won't include memory card slots. If that's the case, would you be able to save PS2 games on the hard drive? Or will saving be out of the question?

The more I'm thinking of it, the cheaper PS3 is a better deal, if HDMI is going to be included. Another $100 for wifi and 40GB hard drive? Just what are we supposed to use that hard drive for? I already have a computer. I'm just trying to understand why this model has been universally panned when it was announced. It's sounding like the opposite of the 360 to me.
    I don't know or care much since I don't have and don't plan on getting an hdtv but there was a lot of talk about the cheaper model not having an hdmi port. The cheaper model will now have one, at least in japan, so that tips the scales a bit at least in japan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Its been stated by sony that you will need an attachment to load/save ps1 and ps2 games.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence
    Its been stated by sony that you will need an attachment to load/save ps1 and ps2 games.
    Wait you can't even save games to the hard drive?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56
    There's hope for me yet. I really don't know where you guys get off always making blanket statements about what bundles are useless and pointless and just plain "assinine" for ANYBODY to buy.. when you're not world leaders speaking for the rest of us.

I've been using the same TV for close to 15 years. It's a 25" RCA ColorTrak stereo monitor. It's got a coax cable hookup and yellow video input on the back with R & W audio inputs. That's it.. no component.. no RGB.. not even a frickin' S-Video. It has ran like a trooper.. countless hours.. for ALL those years with not one visit to the repair shop. Sure.. I'd love to have a better TV.. but unfortunately real-life commitments make that impossible right now. The ol' RCA keeps on chugging.. it's screen is still sharp enough for me to read the tiny-assed print in Culdcept just fine and the colors are as rich and vibrant as the day it was bought (NO LIE!). My friend tells me the rated life expectancy on his $4500 TV is 5 years.. sweet.

All of my current gen consoles look great on it (PS2,GCN,Xbox) hooked up through that single yellow cable. Not all of us in the world have the latest and greatest. Having said that.. I've been bummed about the next gen consoles. My friend's got a $4500 Mitsubishi widescreen DLP and he's always reminding me that it would be pointless for me to even consider buying a next gen console. Considering that a decent sized HDTV nowdays is STILL going to run you 4 or 5 times what the most expensive next gen console will.. I'd given up hope as my "priorities" though assbackwards.. still seemed unobtainable.

THERE IS still a market out there for the Xbox 360 core AND this cheaper PS3.. people like me; and I STILL tend to think that in a world/country (even our rich, overly materialistic, narcissistic US society) where the majority of us STILL don't have broadband.. and HDTVs are NOT the norm.. reserved for the few of our friends who are obsessed with "keeping up with the Jones'es" (like mine) there is a choice. I don't give a rat's ass about WiFi and mem card slots. I'm still trying to fill up a 60 gig HD on my PC.. what makes me think I need one on a gaming console? HDMI? Yeah.. for me.. in another 20 years. My first HDTV capable device is coming soon.. a 19" widescreen monitor for my PC.

It's reassuring for me to know that there still may be a reason for me to try and keep up with the rest of the world.. at least when it comes to the games they're playing. Last night I took my newly arrived Xbox Dreamfall game over to my friend's house.. hadn't even been opened yet. He was in the next room when I plugged it into his system and asked me what that retching noise was. I said it was me puking over the jaggies I saw in the game on HIS TV even though it was all dialed in on 480P. When he came out he smugly said, "Don't worry.. it'll probably look fine on your TV." Yeah.. you know what? It did. Like Anthony says., "garbage in equals garbage out" (I learned that back in my COBOL & FORTRAN days back in college.).

I'm now certain that although I DON'T have the latest and greatest medium to take full advantage of, and appreciate the latest that MS, Nintendo and Sony have to offer.. they WILL look just fine on my funky old dilapidated, out-of-date, antique TV. I'm sure that when I purchase them.. I'll still be blown away over how much better they look than my current gen consoles.. and when I win the lottery.. I'll be all set for a new TV. So there.. :P .
    There are HDTVs for $800. They can go up to 1080i. There's one from RCA and several of the other companies that are on sale at several stores. If you ever want to bother with it and don't want to spend a bunch of cash that might be a good route to go. I got one of these a few weeks ago. I checked out the 1080p tv and compared them both. I couldn't really tell much of a difference even though I had heard fast motion was supposed to be blurred on 1080i. I saw no blur on the one I purchased, though.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joker T
    Probably some kind of format incompatibility? Anyway, just wait until they h4x0r it and make a mod chip, then you can put a 500GB seagate in the cheap one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OdSquad64
    PSN
    OdSquad64

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ
    Anyway, just wait until they h4x0r it and make a mod chip, then you can put a 500GB seagate in the cheap one.
    I thought Sony already said you caould switch out the HDD with any other standard HDD of any size. Did they take that back?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joker T
    Probably some kind of format incompatibility? Anyway, just wait until they h4x0r it and make a mod chip, then you can put a 500GB seagate in the cheap one.
    If it turns out you can't even save..Wow.

They invest tons of money into making PS3 some kind of super computer and it can't do the most basic of functions.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OdSquad64
    Anyway, just wait until they h4x0r it and make a mod chip, then you can put a 500GB seagate in the cheap one.
    I thought Sony already said you caould switch out the HDD with any other standard HDD of any size. Did they take that back?
    Oh, I hadn't heard that. (I dont keep up with it) I immediately assumed it would be all proprietary-like.

Nevermind me, carry on.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

^the linky!^

i just always kinda wondred why these companies feel the need to have these types of bundles. i mean i can undetstand a pack in game type bundle but hardware differences and what not is kinda....funky