Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JVC X'Eye Question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default JVC X'Eye Question

Quick question:

What sort of connections does an X'Eye use? Are the interchangeable with the Genesis?
    Negative, negative! We have a Wildcat destabilization of the ship's fusion core!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The X'eye uses 3 standard RCA outputs for video and stereo audio. To hook it up using an RF connection you need the special cable which hooks to the video jack, the left (I think) audio jack, and the small jack between them. Or, I guess you could use a standard RF modulator.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a follow-up, what is the power source like? I may be getting a barebones system, and need to know if it is worth tracking down the a/v and power supply.
    Negative, negative! We have a Wildcat destabilization of the ship's fusion core!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From the AC adapter that I have, the specs are:

Output: 9.5V DC @ 1.5A

Polarity:

Center is positive
    Outer ring in negative

I am not sure of the specs for the various Sega power supplies out there, but I am sure there is a list somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The X'eye uses the Genesis Model 2 power supply used for the Model 2 Genesis, Nomad, and Game Gear. So a power supply for the X'eye is not an issue usually. As for the AV connections. You have your choice of a combined RF out just like the old Nintendo, Atari days, the standard RCA outputs for L/R Audio and Video. Or you can use the AV/Cable used on the Nomad, and Genesis 2 and 32X attachment on the back of the X'eye.

In other words, the X'eye can pretty much be connected to anything to get it up and running.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't forget it will play 32x games just fine (but the CD door will be blocked by the 32x itself.)

There's also a small adaptor that will let you play Master System games on it as well.

That's two systems and an adaptor playing games for FOUR SYSTEMS. Five if you count the 32xCD as another console (I don't.) Spiffy.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oops. My bad. I forgot about the Genesis style A/V output since I was working from memory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -^Cro§Bow^-
    The X'eye uses the Genesis Model 2 power supply used for the Model 2 Genesis, Nomad, and Game Gear. So a power supply for the X'eye is not an issue usually. As for the AV connections. You have your choice of a combined RF out just like the old Nintendo, Atari days, the standard RCA outputs for L/R Audio and Video. Or you can use the AV/Cable used on the Nomad, and Genesis 2 and 32X attachment on the back of the X'eye.

In other words, the X'eye can pretty much be connected to anything to get it up and running.
    NO! NO! NO! I can't begin to start where this is wrong.

A Model 2 Genesis power supply will fit, but it is the incorrect power for what the system needs. Yes, it will get the system to run, but it may cause damage down the line. The power supply for the X'Eye is the biggest pain in the ass with the system, it is an issue usually ALWAYS.

The JVC X'Eye requires 1.5A, that's what it draws. A Model 2 power supply only puts out .85A, so it's underrated by .65A - not a good idea. Now if you were to give an X'Eye say, 2.0A then it would only draw the 1.5 amps that it needs. You need to find a power supply that is greater yet still close to 10v and has amperage greater than 1.5A. More information here. Read carefully.

It will not take a standard RF box, only one that works with a Genesis Model 2 / 3. Yes, JVC released their own RF box with the system but it's nothing special since the system has the same DIN socket as the Model 2 / 3 Genesis. The sockets on the back are standard RCA (Ye/Wh/Re) jacks as well as the standard Genesis Model 2 / 3 DIN socket. You can use either. As was also stated, it will work with the 32X, the CD door is blocked however so you'll have to put any 32X CD games in before inserting the 32X adapter. Also it's a little wobbly atop the X'Eye, but it does work fine.

A common problem with these systems is the lid closed pinswitch failing over time. This is a little switch that lets the X'Eye know when the CD lid is closed. I've written a full repair tutorial on this you can view at my site (www button). Go to David's Video Game Insanity, then Events / Features and you should find it there. Additionally I've written a mod tutorial on how to US/JPN region switch the cartridge slot on the X'Eye so it will play all Japanese Mega Drive games (even region locked ones) as well as the entire Genesis library, it can be found in the same place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didn't one of these systems support native s-video? The WonderMega maybe?
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Quote Originally Posted by lordnikon
    Correct, that would be the Wondermega (which is made by both JVC and Sega). The X'Eye is the Wondermega 2 released by JVC in Japan. It, too, supported S-Video, and wireless controllers, but both of those features were removed before releasing the system stateside as the X'Eye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut
    Correct, that would be the Wondermega (which is made by both JVC and Sega). The X'Eye is the Wondermega 2 released by JVC in Japan. It, too, supported S-Video, and wireless controllers, but both of those features were removed before releasing the system stateside as the X'Eye.
    You can still rebuild the S-Video circuitry in the JVC X'Eye however. If I remember correctly the board is ready for it, they simply left the output chip off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Talking about Power..I'm using the Master System PS with the NES..But when I'm done with the NES..I plug it back in the Genesis..Will it harm the NES if I have it for long

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info LiquidPolicenaut & InsaneDavid.

Also, is the Wondermega region locked?
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Thanks for the info LiquidPolicenaut & InsaneDavid.

Also, is the Wondermega region locked?
    Yes, but a JPN/USA region mod for the cartridge slot on the original Wondermega is possible. You have to remove the jumper at point R177, the center pole of the switch goes to the jumper pad on the side closest to the chip. Then it's GND for JPN (other side of R177) and +5v for USA (left side of R178 just above). This is similar to the JVC X'Eye in that the alternate region setting has jumper pads right next to the native setting. As for the Wondermega 2 it SHOULD be able to be modified like the JVC X'Eye (just reversed - R193 should have the jumper instead of R194) but I have yet to confirm this.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does it really uses as much as 1.5A? I know the PS says it can give out 1.5A, but does the machine really pull all this juice?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Does it really uses as much as 1.5A? I know the PS says it can give out 1.5A, but does the machine really pull all this juice?
    There's a lot of stuff on the board, including a seperate board for the karaoke stuff and it has a faster CD drive than the Sega CD. Besides, it's never wise to underrate amperage to electronics.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a little side question. How does the X'Eye compare to a model 2 Genesis/CD combo? I have both, but I've really never compared them. I'm thinking about keeping the X'Eye out and using that instead of the other one. I don't have room to plug in both of those huge power adaptors for the model 2 Genesis/CD combo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by erehwon
    I have a little side question. How does the X'Eye compare to a model 2 Genesis/CD combo? I have both, but I've really never compared them. I'm thinking about keeping the X'Eye out and using that instead of the other one. I don't have room to plug in both of those huge power adaptors for the model 2 Genesis/CD combo.
    One power supply, uses standard Ye/Re/Wh RCA jacks, faster CD drive than either SCD model, 32X works fine with it, wider cartridge slot accepts Japanese Mega Drive games without modification (need to install a USA/JPN switch for region locked games).

I'd say it's time to dump the Genesis 2 / SCD.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Quote Originally Posted by erehwon
    One power supply, uses standard Ye/Re/Wh RCA jacks, faster CD drive than either SCD model, 32X works fine with it, wider cartridge slot accepts Japanese Mega Drive games without modification (need to install a USA/JPN switch for region locked games).

I'd say it's time to dump the Genesis 2 / SCD.
    Thanks, I guess the X'Eye's coming out of the closet then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't know about the amperage requirements of the x'eye being that high. I have been using a Genny2 power supply on mine for over a year now. But...I only play Genesis cart games on it. The CD unit doesn't appear to work correctly on mine. At first it was because of the door switch. But I fixed this, and now it just twitches the CD when trying to kick it off...but doesn't want to spin. Even if I try and kick it off at the same time as the initial twitch..it won't spin. Almost like the motor is trying to spin against itself or something odd.

But it makes me wonder if trying a higher amperage power supply might not help or possibly fix that issue as well?

Currently I use a CDX as my all in one Genesis/CD combo. And it does use a Genny2 power supply. Or at least the Genny2 power supply seems to provide enough amps and voltage both for the CDX to function just fine.