Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DFW game collecting - tips/locations??

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Default DFW game collecting - tips/locations??

Hey guys:
    I've been living in the DFW area for a while now and it seems that there are precious few places to get good old systems and games. I have found a few places around like Console Game Exchange in Frisco and the Electronics place in Arlington, but no real good place like I used to have.

Any other DFW shackers out there have any tips for me? I'm pretty new at collecting and being new to this area isn't helping. Thanks!

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah dont feel bad I moved from Augusta Georgia to Alpharetta and there is a complete and utter shortage of places to buy old game stuff I mean even the goodwill is lacking any sort of video game stuff it really sucks.

Insert Coin (Level 0) gamesniper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    nonzer0 sum

There is another CGX in Sherman that is worth a look, though they stock roughly the same things. The last time I was at the Frisco store, I picked up a complete copy of Riding Hero on the AES for ~$15, which was a nice surprise.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didnt know there was a CGX in that area. I heard there's a Special FX in Dallas.

I know CGX has a store down here in Temple, pretty nice place.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Yeah, you can get some good stuff there. I was recently in the Frisco CGX and some kid had just brought in a mint (and I mean our definition of mint) Valkyrie Profile. The store paid him $80 for it I didn't have the cash to buy it at the time but, oh, I wish I had. That sucker is hard to find.

I have seen the NeoGeo stuff there from time to time. They get a lot of good PS1 games in, too. I just picked up Castlevania SotN and Star Ocean pretty cheap. Sometimes, their prices seem a bit high, but like I said there are not many places around these here parts for games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    nonzer0 sum

Console Game Exchange and Special FX Game Exchange were once the same company, hence the similar layout and pricing scheme, Here's the breakdown of locations by city, post-split. Special FX is in: Brownwood (Early), College Station, Hillsboro and Waco. CGX is in Frisco, Sherman and Temple. CGX may have another one, but I don't believe so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have we meet before Mr. Gamesniper...I travel between temple, hillsboro, and Waco all the time...

I like the CGX since they are the only people to carry TG16 and SMS games

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Flea Markets are good, I have found my fair share at flea markets and that awesome SNES find on page 6 of this months finds at video store here locally.

I didn't know of these independent stores so thanks for the tip on that.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried to find the electronics place in arlington on yellowpages.net and couldn't find it,

where is it at?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg
    I tried to find the electronics place in arlington on yellowpages.net and couldn't find it,

where is it at?
    It's called Electronic Discount Sales on Pioneer PKWY in Arlington:

http://www.electronicdiscountsales.com/

I go there from time to time but they usually don't have too much at all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Flea Market called TRADERS VILLAGE its kinda near 6 Flags.

I used to find great stuff there and its really big. The best stuff is just what you can find from random vendors but theres a few actual permanant game stores there too.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Insert Coin (Level 0) .Goomba24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have realitives in Fort Worth, but I live in Southeast Texas. As far as I know, I am the only big game collector in my area. I haven't ran into anybody yet.

HAve any of you ever been to Canton or Winnie trade days? I go to Winnie trade days sometimes, but I heard Canton is by far the best..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    nonzer0 sum

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDrive20XX
    Have we meet before Mr. Gamesniper...I travel between temple, hillsboro, and Waco all the time...

I like the CGX since they are the only people to carry TG16 and SMS games
    Perhaps we've met, I reside in College Station, but circulate through a big area.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    nonzer0 sum

Quote Originally Posted by .Goomba24
    I have realitives in Fort Worth, but I live in Southeast Texas. As far as I know, I am the only big game collector in my area. I haven't ran into anybody yet.

HAve any of you ever been to Canton or Winnie trade days? I go to Winnie trade days sometimes, but I heard Canton is by far the best..
    I'm not sure if we're in the same area, but I've a decent collection.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theshizzle3000
    Yeah dont feel bad I moved from Augusta Georgia to Alpharetta and there is a complete and utter shortage of places to buy old game stuff I mean even the goodwill is lacking any sort of video game stuff it really sucks.
    Where'd you find games here in Augusta? There's the filthy overpriced stuff at the flea market(s) and no stores that deal in retro that I've seen. They trickly into a certain Goodwill, but barely...
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing to check out for any computer/game/techno geek in Dallas is First Saturday. It's a _HUGE_ computer/tech flea market held on the first Sat of every month spread over acres of parking lots... There's always some people with boxes of old junk (just the stuff we love!). I got a never-used Vectrex controller still in box for $1 there once... and 4 of those little bar-top arcade games for $10 each (not the touch-screen type, but cool non-the-less). I just checked their website (haven't been in Dallas in 5 years), and they seem to have moved to a new location. If it's still the way it used to be, make sure you cover the odd perimeter locations, those are usually the 'cheap' vendor spots and usually have more of the older stuff...

http://www.firstsaturday.com/

Also, note that it's pretty much an all-nighter type event. It literally starts to pick up between 10PM and midnight on Friday night. By noon-2pm on Sat it's starting to shut down... If you ever travel to Dallas, try to plan it on a first weekend, it's definitely an experience...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gamesniper
    Console Game Exchange and Special FX Game Exchange were once the same company, hence the similar layout and pricing scheme, Here's the breakdown of locations by city, post-split. Special FX is in: Brownwood (Early), College Station, Hillsboro and Waco. CGX is in Frisco, Sherman and Temple. CGX may have another one, but I don't believe so.
    Actually, I forgot to mention I've known the founder of the company since 98'. Very nice guy and he told me the real story of what happened.

There was originally 6 stores. When two of his business partners wanted to run things differently and these guys had no idea about games, all hell broke loose. He told them to take those three stores in Frisco, Sherman, and Temple.

There is even a Special FX in Dallas now from what I heard also.

Pricing schemes, I agree to an extent, but sometimes I'll have a solid deal on the most higher dollar items that are overlooked by them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rik1138
    One thing to check out for any computer/game/techno geek in Dallas is First Saturday. It's a _HUGE_ computer/tech flea market held on the first Sat of every month spread over acres of parking lots...
    I haven't gone in a while, since the whole thing has seriously gone downhill. The venders got fewer and fewer over the years. They used to have stuff everywhere, spread across loads of parking lot space, but less vendors were showing up, and it was condensed down to a couple lots. That's when I stopped going. I used to be able to find Amiga and Atari stuff out there, TI-99/4A stuff, and console games and hardware too. From what I've heard, they have less than a couple dozen vendors there anymore, and it's had to move to a smaller location. I haven't had the desire to check them out since the move. I know I'll be disappointed.

At Trader's Village, check out a vendor on the far north end, near the water tower. He's got a huge selection of game hardware and software. He's the one I go to when I need to find something that I know I won't come across in the wild. I don't buy off eBay, so his shop is where I pick up rarities.

Movie Trading Company has something like 10 locations in Dallas, and they've recently been bought out by Vintage Stock. Which means there's soon going to be a chain in DFW with retro games for sale. They still haven't converted over yet, I've heard that it might be up to a year. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rik1138
    One thing to check out for any computer/game/techno geek in Dallas is First Saturday. It's a _HUGE_ computer/tech flea market held on the first Sat of every month spread over acres of parking lots...
    I haven't gone in a while, since the whole thing has seriously gone downhill. The venders got fewer and fewer over the years. They used to have stuff everywhere, spread across loads of parking lot space, but less vendors were showing up, and it was condensed down to a couple lots. That's when I stopped going. I used to be able to find Amiga and Atari stuff out there, TI-99/4A stuff, and console games and hardware too. From what I've heard, they have less than a couple dozen vendors there anymore, and it's had to move to a smaller location. I haven't had the desire to check them out since the move. I know I'll be disappointed.

At Trader's Village, check out a vendor on the far north end, near the water tower. He's got a huge selection of game hardware and software. He's the one I go to when I need to find something that I know I won't come across in the wild. I don't buy off eBay, so his shop is where I pick up rarities.

Movie Trading Company has something like 10 locations in Dallas, and they've recently been bought out by Vintage Stock. Which means there's soon going to be a chain in DFW with retro games for sale. They still haven't converted over yet, I've heard that it might be up to a year. I'm looking forward to it.

Radical Dude Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CGX. The final time I went in that place was when they had Super Mario Bros. 3 on NES for $29.98 loose. An Atari 2600 system was $59.99. Not to mention their SNES and Genesis games are $9.99-19.99 each for commons. The only thing they are good for is the really rare stuff they have sometimes and the credit they give for trade-ins. I took in some various PS2 games I had gotten for 3.99-5.99 and they gave me $10-$15 each for them.

Half Price Books is another good source for games, especially the locations in Arlington. Gotten some good finds there for dirt cheap.