Thread: Should I get an Atari 5200 or 7800??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Should I get an Atari 5200 or 7800??

I want to get one of these systems. Anyone have input as to what would be a better system to collect for and play?

Thanks !!!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I may catch some heat for saying so, but I don't care. I recommend a 5200! You'll more than likely hate the controllers, even if they work perfectly, but there are of course alternative controllers for the 5200 Supersystem, albeit expensive ones.

IMHO, the 7800 library is WEAK compared to the 5200 catalog of games. Sure, you'll find most of the 5200 games are the same games you'll find on the 2600, but you will notice the difference. I compare the leap in quality going from 2600 to 5200 the same leap as NES to SNES. If I have the urge to play Ms.Pacman I ALWAYS play the 5200 version, same with other games like Jungle Hunt, Centipede, Dig Dug etc etc...I mean these games are almost arcade perfect, especially Centipede and Missile Command with the Trackball controller...You just can't experience this on a 7800.

And let me tell you, as a 7800 veteran, the standard controllers are no better for wear than the 5200 sticks are, and they are no more comfortable either. I found that the 7800 controller buttons wore out and lost their 'click' very quickly. My 5200 sticks were rebuilt with the Rev 9 flex circuit that is easily available online nowadays, and they give me ZERO problems. This rebuild however didn't fix the Uncomfortableness(is that a word?). Still better IMO than the 7800 sticks.

Of course the 7800 naturally plays most VCS carts, which is an advantage, but you can buy an adaptor that will allow the 5200 to do the same thing for around 30$ on ebay these days, so that shouldn't be a critical factor in choosing which system to purchase. The 7800 has a few gems like Food Fight, or Robotron, but it just doesn't compare to the great lineup of games for the Supersystem. Seriously, the Trackball games alone warrant the purchase of a 5200. No Game Console has Ever replicated the Arcade feel of these classic Trak-Ball games found on the 5200.

I think the 5200 will be more expensive to collect for because of the cost of a Trak-ball, VCS adaptor, and working controllers...but I really believe its worth it. It's just a higher quality machine all around, because this was back when ATARI actually really cared about its product and had the motivation to produce a High Quality product for us. The 7800 was brought out when the Tramiels were in charge and didn't give a shit about the console market, so the lack in quality shows. It shows with the controllers, it shows with the games, and it shows with the lack of support the console got with 3rd parties. ATARI didn't care about the 7800, and you know what, I don't really care about it either, there is much more fun to be had with the 5200 Supersystem.

So, as you can see, I'm biased for the 5200(it is my favorite system ever). If you want quality, get the 5200. If you want subpar crap, get the 7800.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if i have money, i will buy a 7800, itīs a nice machine for me. Obviously the game gallery is pathetic, but...

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have a 2600, get a 5200 if you can find working controllers. If you don't have a 2600, obviously get a 7800.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

5200 all the way! It has quickly become one of my favourite consoles. The 7800 is alright but it just doesn't have the style and library that the 5200 does. You may also consider an XE. Another great system.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would get the 7800.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, I have a few 2600's already. I think I'm going to go with the 5200. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can find a tracball for a decent price.

Thanks!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

personally id go with the atari 800xl computer- its basically the same as a 5200 and you dont have the annoying controllers- plus you get a larger game library and you can get a disk drive and get even more games for it

willie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't recommend the 5200 enough. GunstarrHero (above) expressed my feelings about this better than I ever could.

Until the DC arrived, I never liked any console as much as the 5200.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, definitely the 5200. Arcade quality games that just feel better than the 7800 ports. And there's the cool mulitcart that you can get with all the 5200 games on it

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I love two player games, and the Atari 7800 had what no other system had, great classic games with two-player options seen nowhere else. Where else can you play two-player versions (simultaneously) of Asteroids and Centipede!?!

Michael
    http://www.GoodDealGames.com
    Classic Gaming Interviews, Articles, News, Puzzles, Humor, Online Arcade, Game Publishing, Sales, WGDG Game Radio, Collectors List, Links, Chat, Release Lists, Fan Fiction, Token Museum & more... much more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wberdan
    personally id go with the atari 800xl computer- its basically the same as a 5200 and you dont have the annoying controllers- plus you get a larger game library and you can get a disk drive and get even more games for it

willie

I agree 100%. The Atari 800 computer is basically the same as the 5200 system, but with so much more. The 5200 was basically cloned off the Atari 800 model, so the games are in most cases exactly the same. But you don't have to deal with crappy controllers, AND you have a much MUCH larger library to choose from. I recommend the classic Atari 800 (brown old one) just because I love how that sucker looks! You can use your existing 2600 joysticks, and the carts are small and cool looking Great machine to collect for...or even program for!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

5200 with the trackball.

Can't beat Missle Command and Centipede.

I want to go home and play right now!
    GET OUT OF THE WALLS CHEATER!!!