Thread: getting a saturn system import

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default getting a saturn system import

well after some thinking i'm decideing to get into importing for the saturn so after looking at my options (modding a us system, useing an action replay and importing a system) i think i would just rather import a saturn. i figure i would have the feeling of haveing a import system and not have to worry about any compatability issues. problem is i'm finding big price discrepacies. on japangamestock.com they have systems for $18.00 US + shipping and a little more with cables ect. i think this is an amazeing price although right not they appear out of stock for single systems. but it appears there offering bundles of 3 systems for around $80 unless theres something i'm missing here. now ebay who is famous for inflated prices alot of those systems are going for $100+. i'm confused, the price for a jp saturn either seems way to low or to high. i was considering asking anyone on the buy/sell forum for one but what would you guys say is a reasonable price?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Totally depends on the model you get and what it comes with. If you want something cool and limited, go after the derby system or the skeleton system (basically the same thing). V-saturn's are cheap and neat and semi limited. the colors and rarity factor into it mostly. You can pick up a grey saturn package for pretty cheap, but I personally hate the color. the white systems are more expensive, but look a lot better. so many different variations on the saturn in japan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get the Hi Navi Saturn if you really want to get fancy. I own a white Saturn and love it. I have a dude I use on ebay that's pretty reliable. Prices are reasonable but shipping is expensive. PM me if you're interested.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got a white Saturn, paid about $25. That was all cables and 1 controller, no box. You might get a grey one with box for that.

Only Saturns that should go for over $100 are the last edition of the Skeleton and the Hi Navi (and that's gonna be well over $1000, if you can find it).

They're really common, so I'd just hold out for the cheapest from a reliable seller. Since they are so cheap, I think it's a better option than modding a US Saturn or using an action replay. Then again, I like buying shit, so I'm not the best reference

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my Saturn from Japan Game Stock, those guys are great. You're gonna get slammed on shipping, though. Shipping a console from them is about $80.00 US. Make sure you get some games to go with that, they don't add much when shipped with a console.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have had all variation of Saturn consoles except Hi-Navi and Samsung Saturn though did quick test drive with one when I was in Seoul few months back

for aesthetical point of view I'd say the JPN white 2nd revision console is the most eye pleasing followed by the JPN grey version. Just make sure you get the pristine white shell if you get the JPN M2 Saturn as a lot of them has yellowed over the time

in terms of reliability I can't say for sure since I never used any of them long enough to warrant the comment. I'm at the moment using hybrid console I sort of put together - it used the JPN M/B with country/frequent mod, replacement CD-ROM drive, white shell, 240VAC PAL PSU, and Sega wireless pad set.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always been weary of buying used systems from shops online. You always just see a stock picture, never the picture of the actual system you will be receiving. I'm a stickler for a good condition system (as I'm sure most of us are), which has really hurt my hunt for a reasonably priced Super Famicom that isn't yellowed. EBay is a good source since you can see exactly what the system you will be buying looks like, but of course prices aren't always that great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my first saturn was $25 BIN on ebay with 25 games. With EMS shipping (from Japan) it came to about $110 or so. The best part was getting a bunch of games that I had never heard of before and having a chance to play them, best one was DonPachi!!!!!!

The system came with a lot of stange hentai games that I resold on ebay and got almost all of my money back from my original purchase.

Good luck finding a good deal on a saturn. They are totally worth the purchase.

Insert Coin (Level 0) 8bit4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I might have a skeleton system I can sell... I'll have to check for ya. I definately have a standard gray version too if you're interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for all the responces. i was looking for spending under $50. as alot of people seem to of been able to snag a white saturn for under that amount. i really like the look of the white one over the grey as well. i also read that the saturn skeleton system has slight compatability issues. can anyone confirm this or tell what games it has an issue with? i also find the "this is cool" lable slightly tacky...but thats just me.

I might have a skeleton system I can sell
    i do really like uniqness of this version though and it kinda sets off the negative things i find about it so if you do find it pm me an offer regardless of my $50 prefrence. if the deal is good we could maybe work something out.

other then that though the white version seems to be the way to go as long as i can find one in NA. shipping really blows when your paying more for it then what your acually buying.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript
    i also read that the saturn skeleton system has slight compatability issues. can anyone confirm this or tell what games it has an issue with? i also find the "this is cool" lable slightly tacky...but thats just me.
    Yes it does. For the compatibility sake it'd be wise to get the white Saturn and the ARP cart to play US/PAL titles if you want

if you don't like "this is cool" label there's blue skeleton system costing even more money than normal skeleton system ^ ^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

after doing some more reserch on the skeleton system I can only find 2 confirmed games with compatability problems, Space Harrier and Metal Slug. does anyone know of a complete compatability list.

also was the skeleton system released in the US as well? and if so is the 50,000 units produced the total units worldwide or just in one region?

still haveing a hard time getting a white system. it kinda sucks when shipping from overseas is gonna cost as much or more then what your buying

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

US only got Saturn in black casing...
    as far as Sega Japan was concerned US - and PAL - didn't deserve those fancy Limited Edition models...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's easier to get a US saturn and switch the jumpers to make it run in Japan mode. I've got a USA saturn transplanted into a white saturn case. My friend gave me the case when his saturn went up in smoke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh...you're a little late

Not long ago Play Asia had _NEW_ mint boxed
    White Saturns for US$150. Then they had _NEW_ mint Skeleton (clear grey) and Derby (clear blue) Saturns for US$250 - all sold out now...

I got one though so now I have spare JPN Saturn for back-up.

Luke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Not trying to threadjack here, but I had an idea a while back that may help the topic starters situation. I never did it myself but have always contemplated it.

I figure that I could have someone move all of my jumpers to NSTC-J mode permanently, my logic behind this is that this way I could use my copy of KoF with the ROM cart on a US system, and be able to play the rest of my imports without a boot cart as well.

I figure then I could use the boot cart to play US games (Which I have fewer of, because you can get some good imports cheap, its all about www.segasaturncds.com).

Do any of the local Saturn gurus know if this is a good idea, bad idea?
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not long ago Play Asia had _NEW_ mint boxed
    White Saturns for US$150. Then they had _NEW_ mint Skeleton (clear grey) and Derby (clear blue) Saturns for US$250 - all sold out now...
    doh! although $150 is kinda steep when i would be very content with used and no box. i dunno, i'm not haveing any luck. i assumed this would be a pretty easy find. i've posted WTB's on a few forums and no luck. and i think the prices on ebay are for the most part way overpriced. especialy when you figure in shipping from Japan. the skeleton system is nice for collecting reasons but if i got one of those id rather not use it as my playing system plus the compatability problems bother me. i did get an offer for a grey jp system at a reasonable price that i'm thinking of takeing if its still avaliable although i really wanted a white system.

can anyone confirm if the rumors of the white version haveing a faster cd drive are true?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto19XX
    Not trying to threadjack here, but I had an idea a while back that may help the topic starters situation. I never did it myself but have always contemplated it.

I figure that I could have someone move all of my jumpers to NSTC-J mode permanently, my logic behind this is that this way I could use my copy of KoF with the ROM cart on a US system, and be able to play the rest of my imports without a boot cart as well.

I figure then I could use the boot cart to play US games (Which I have fewer of, because you can get some good imports cheap, its all about www.segasaturncds.com).

Do any of the local Saturn gurus know if this is a good idea, bad idea?
    Why move the two jumpers permanently when you can toggle them with a switch for USA/JPN mode? Then you get both regions in one console without the need for region switching carts. Can also do USA/JPN/EUR, which I'm doing for someone right now, but I'm waiting on an EUR game to make sure I have my settings correct.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a question,I love the white jap case the import Saturn has but my question is if you have a Model 2 USA Saturn can you just switch the console cases or is their different outlets in the back of the system that would prevent that?