Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rare PS2 Games?

What rare PS2 games are there? I was thinking:
    -Rez
    -Klonoa 2
    -Gitaroo Man
    What are some others that you guys know of?
    By the way, do you think I should try and talk some video shop guys to sell me Rez and Klonoa 2, since I can't find them anywhere else where I am.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definetly Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are at least a dozen threads on this subject already. Try using the search option and check those out.

BTW, Rez and Gitaroo ain't rare. They were re-printed by GQD last year and you can find used copies for sale in just about any Gamestop.

Going strictly by print numbers though, Dual Hearts from Atlus is said to be the rarest PS2 game. Supposedly less than 5,000 copies were made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    Going strictly by print numbers though, Dual Hearts from Atlus is said to be the rarest PS2 game. Supposedly less than 5,000 copies were made.
    I think Polaroid Pete would be the rarest game. As far as i know only a few copies have made it to the public before they pulled the title because of some disagreement about copyrights...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh and BTW if you want to know if a game is rare, search ebay for it. If none show up, there is a chance it *might* be rare:

Rez has 47 copies on ebay.com right now
    Gitarooman has 26 copies on ebay.com right now
    Klonoa 2 has 5 copies on ebay.com right now
    Dual hearts: 17 copieso on ebay.com right now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

dual hearts isnt too rare i can find it at game shops around me here where did u get the print run numbers from ? thanks !

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default rare...

Firefighter FD18 was listed as rare on another thread.

Some others that I have found are rare (for the PS2) are:

Gradius II+IV
    Sky Odyssey
    Rayman 2 Revolution

It's all relative I suppose...
    I think the rarest PS2 games would only make it to R3 in terms of a DP guide.

Later,
    Trebuken

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

99.9% of all PS2 'rarities' are a result of regional supplies.

At best, a harder to find PS2 title would rank R5, I think. I haven't started to apply the rarity numbers to the guide, but it is something I intend on doing in the near future.

Even though there are tons of threads on this, I'll add my 2 cents. These are ones I personally haven't seen in a long time.

Casper: Spirit Dimensions
    Crimson Sea 2
    Dark Summit
    Dino Stalker
    Disney Golf
    Dropship: United Peace Force
    Ephemeral Fantasia
    Escape from Monkey Island
    ESPN: MLS Extra Time
    ESPN: NFL Prime Time 2002
    EverBlue 2
    Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel
    Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly
    Firefighter F.D.18
    Frequency
    Fur Fighters: Viggo's Revenge
    G1 Jockey 3
    Giants: Citizen Kabuto
    GTC Africa
    Kya: Dark Lineage
    Malice
    Mystic Heroes
    Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat
    PK: Out of the Shadows (Disney's)
    Portal Runner
    R.A.D.: Robot Alchemic Drive
    Ribbit King
    Rumble Racing
    Secret Weapons Over Normandy
    Shifters
    Sitting Ducks
    Soccer America International Cup
    Speed Kings
    Sub Rebellion
    Theme Park Roller Coaster
    Top Gear Daredevil
    Tsugunai: Atonement
    Unison: Rebels of Rhythm and Dance
    WhiteOut
    Wrath Unleashed
    X-Squad
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    99.9% of all PS2 'rarities' are a result of regional supplies.
    agreed 100%

and in your list... i count at least 7 of those titles sitting in my store right now, most of which have been sitting there for some time. so yeah... rarity at this point in the ps2's life is definitely a regional thing.... once games done being produced, and you're only able to procure titles from ebay and such (which admittedly will be a very long time from now), things might start to even out a tad.
    My Website | #VBender | Last.fm
    Part of the #vbender crew
    [21:39] <Ze_ro> Perkar: Put "Official #vbender Slut" in your sig.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always assumed that Naval Ops by Koei was rare, but I see several listings for it on ebay, though it seems to never really reach high price points either.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know this may be slightly off topic, but it still relates.

I think a rarity level for a game is almost a moot point. It's also open for interpretation. The DP lists are the best thing we, as gamers have, but I still think that as this hobby grows, it will need an overhaul.

IE. Psychic detective for the PS1 is rated as an R8. But, the chances of finding it in the wild are much higher than say, an R8 for the Vectrex etc.(just an example, insert your favorite comparison here). While the rarity rating doesn't really show it, the value does seem to reflect it. Obviously demand plays its part as well.

For the most part, collectors are applying a higher value for a higher rating. Now, as with any hobby this is not always the case. Nor is the rarity level always accurat, as we could all certainly find a few games in the database that are way off.

When I was younger, I was fortunate enough to have a friend who owned a card store, and he was one of the contributors to Beckett magazine for Hockey.
    I think there system for valuing is quite good. Not perfect, but a step up from what we have.
    They evaluate their market on a montly basis(obviously too much for our hobby, as the $$ are not there to support it yet...YET) by taking dealer and private sales into account. Rarity never plays a part of it. The market reflects value. Not rarity. While the manufacturers may produce a card in very limited numbers, it may still have low demand. Hence, a low value.
    They also use a hi/low value scheme. Very useful. It takes bargain shopping into account and full retail.
    IE. 10 people bought from Ebay for game X
    10 People found it in the wild
    10 people from game stores.
    Take the Ebay prices, shave off the bottom 10% and the top 10%, and that gives you a fairly good going HIGH rate.
    Take the wild finds and do the same.
    Now, you may have game x which goes for 50USD on the high side, with no shopping around searching etc. BUT it may go for 15USD on the low side, and you could expect to find that only with some luck, AND extensive shopping. With those 2 prices in mind, you could judge what kind of "deal" you have found on the game you are looking for.

It kind of takes the rating for a game, and puts it in the markets hands, and out of the "rarity" judicators. Whether that is good or not is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm just uneasy about the rarity guide, as it's decided upon by very few people. I think they do a great job, and the DP guide is the only one I use.. For now.

I just think it's "off" in a lot of cases. Final fantasy VII for example. It has seen a huge price increase lately. It can go between 5075 used on Ebay. It doesn't change the RARITY of it, but obviously the demand is higher, whether people like it or not. The market reflects, what the market can bear. Tis the law of supply and demand. Now, we also know that with some shopping we can find it for five bucks even. Well the DP guide rates the rarity low, which is obviously accurate, as the game was a trillion seller or something crazy. BUT, it does show a value of 15-20 bucks or something. (I can't remember exactly, but somewhere around there). Well, that's not exactly the real value is it? It could have a value as HIGH as 75usd or as low as 5-10 USD. Showing that, also shows the collectors/buyers the volatility of said game. Some games will have a high fluctuation between their high/low values repectively, and some will not. The ones with a high spread between the high/low will show market instability, which accounts for threads that I see of people saying "I can't believe FFVII is going for 75 bucks. I got mine for five, OR "that price will come down, it's just an Ebay anomale"... And it very well might, or it might not. Again, the updates from inputters will show the trending.

Anyways, just my two cents on helping our hobby.
    Regards, Julian
    "That is the most kiddiest thing I ever heard." -ROTS MKII January 2 2008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Well Disgaea used to be hard to find until the recent reprinting.

I could see Metal Saga being a hard one to find in the future, but atm I don't think there is truely a "rare" PS2 title.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

The prices in the DP guide are meant to be friendly, collector-to-collector prices. Not current market value, for all the reasons you just stated in your comparison to Beckett's.

We all prefer trading, anyway. :D

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Quote Originally Posted by Kroogah
    The prices in the DP guide are meant to be friendly, collector-to-collector prices. Not current market value, for all the reasons you just stated in your comparison to Beckett's.

We all prefer trading, anyway.
    Agreed!!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But when I look in our buy/sell forum, I see lots of good deals, lots of "going prices", and lots of overpriced stuff. Very reflective of having a hi/lo system, isn't it?

Friendly, collector to collector sales are great, and we have lots here. But I don't see too many people GIVING away their Stadium events or DKC comp cart, right?

While we may have lots of collectors trading, they still trade with "perceived value" in mind, generally. I have not heard of too many Combat carts traded for Quadrun, have you? And if it did happen, I would consider that as being part of the 10% of false valuing that you shave off when doing stat tracking.

So it still applies, I would say. And is still very reflective, IMHO.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess what I meant is;

Using a hi/lo system doesn't change or deter what goes on between collectors. Collectors and gamers know WHAT they will spend, and often WHAT OTHER people have spent.

So, we already have this system, we just don't use or document it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But when I look in our buy/sell forum, I see lots of good deals, lots of "going prices", and lots of overpriced stuff. Very reflective of having a hi/lo system, isn't it?

Friendly, collector to collector sales are great, and we have lots here. But I don't see too many people GIVING away their Stadium events or DKC comp cart, right?

While we may have lots of collectors trading, they still trade with "perceived value" in mind, generally. I have not heard of too many Combat carts traded for Quadrun, have you? And if it did happen, I would consider that as being part of the 10% of false valuing that you shave off when doing stat tracking.

So it still applies, I would say. And is still very reflective, IMHO.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After some research, The DP guide shows Final Fantasy VII with a $ value of 10usd complete. I'll take as many copies as people are willing to give me for 10 bucks. Yes, I would resell them. All to Ebay they would go. The guide doesn't differentiate between Ebay sellers and hobbyists does it? So, therefore, the value is completely incorrect.

What could happen here, is that a new collector may see that amount, and offer to trade his copy for a copy of something else with the same DP value, and ultimately, whether money was traded hands or not, be somewhat ripped off in a trade. While he still may be happy with his trade, and love the new game he got back. The fact is, he could of received so much more. And, if he finds that out afterwards, it may slightly turn him off from our wonderful hobby.
    And so, in the end, the guide that was designed to enhance our hobby for enthusiasts, (be them financially based collectors OR pure gamers with no care of making money) may actually do the opposite. That would be sad.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One last thing, and I'll let it go.

Would you TRADE me four complete non GH copies of Final Fantasy VII for my one complete copy of Devils Crush?

Probably not. (And if you want, I'll gladly do it, in a heartbeat!!!) . So it shows how skewed one single set price can be.

In MHO , I think DP should either use a reflective value system, or none at all. Just my opinion. Either would be great. The market value have decided themselves for years, with or without documentation. The only thing a skewed price can do, is hurt the uneducated!!

I usually hear people refer to the DP guide as a rarity guide, NOT a price guide. If it truly is only a rarity guide, why are there any prices listed whatsoever.

Again, please don't think I don't value all of the DP's "staff" inputters. They are invaluable, and often spot on with rarity levels. I just think the PRICES are completely skewed, and can only possibly confuse people.

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence
    Well Disgaea used to be hard to find until the recent reprinting.

I could see Metal Saga being a hard one to find in the future, but atm I don't think there is truely a "rare" PS2 title.
    Yeah I could see Metal Saga becoming rare ,but I have this notion that a long time down the line Katamari Damacy may become rare because for a while it fell under the radar and its a really good game so it could end up being a similar case as River City Ransom for the NES