Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rare PS2 Games?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just for shits and giggles, I posted a trade thread in our buying/selling forum, for exactly the deal I mentioned. Let's see the reaction.
    "That is the most kiddiest thing I ever heard." -ROTS MKII January 2 2008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Firefighter FD. 18 is harder to find, but i called 20 EBs/gamestops within about a 60 mile radius and i found 2 copies, so if you're looking for something just call around, you'll find it within a month if not the same day.

Oh and i saw a copy of Sitting Ducks at an EB, didn't buy it though.

As long as you're looking for it, You'll find it.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    Going strictly by print numbers though, Dual Hearts from Atlus is said to be the rarest PS2 game. Supposedly less than 5,000 copies were made.
    That's an extremely low number! I've never seen the game browsing my area, but there's quite a few available on Ebay and some of those are new, so I'm thinking that number may be off.

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    99.9% of all PS2 'rarities' are a result of regional supplies.
    I agree. Thank goodness online auction sites help mitigate uneven distributions!

At best, a harder to find PS2 title would rank R5, I think. I haven't started to apply the rarity numbers to the guide, but it is something I intend on doing in the near future.
    Even though there are tons of threads on this, I'll add my 2 cents. These are ones I personally haven't seen in a long time.
    Kya: Dark Lineage
    I remember reading a favorable review for Kya at Gamecritics.com when it first came out and when I went searching for a copy it was already being dumped on Ebay. There was a ton of them available then and there seems to be a ton of them available now. That's the only one on your list I would have doubts about not being common. It's fun to speculate on the subject though. I have a few to toss out that don't turn up often in my parts nor are they flooding Ebay.

Aero Elite
    Adventures of Cookie & Cream
    ChoroQ
    Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis
    Lethal Skies Elite Pilot
    PTO IV
    Shadow Hearts
    Silent Line: Armored Core
    Victorious Boxers
    Wizardry: The Forsaken Land
    Heroes of Might and Magic
    LEGO Racers 2
    Micro Machines
    Piglet's Big Game
    Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    It's fun to speculate on the subject though. I have a few to toss out that don't turn up often in my parts nor are they flooding Ebay.

Aero Elite
    Adventures of Cookie & Cream
    ChoroQ
    Lethal Skies Elite Pilot
    Shadow Hearts
    (did a little snipping)

Are Aero Elite and Lethal Skies enjoyable? I've been eyeballing them and debating picking them up.

Cookie & Cream has been on my hitlist for a long time now but the only copies I scare up in the wild are loose That's going to be an ebay buy for me.

I passed on a Jurassic Park Operation Genesis but got curious about it and did some reading up on it online. Found out it was totally my cup of tea, went back to buy it, and it was gone. CURSES

Shadow Hearts is getting reprinted by GQD (and its price at Gamestop went up from $25 used to $40 used) and you can buy the trilogy for $100 new from them (mine should be coming soon...I can't wait to finally play them ).

For all of the shit that ChoroQ got in the reviews, I loved the hell out of it. I loved it more than Road Trip, and Road Trip was pretty awesome.

Finally, I hope Ys doesn't wind up being too uncommon/rare. Everyone should be able to pick up a copy and play it The english voice acting and cg sucks, but there's a few codes you can input to have japanese dialogue with english subtitles, PC version's cinemas, and enable warping between towns to eliminate backtracking later in the game.. good lord is it a bucket of awesomeness then.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by devils advocate
    After some research, The DP guide shows Final Fantasy VII with a $ value of 10usd complete. I'll take as many copies as people are willing to give me for 10 bucks. Yes, I would resell them. All to Ebay they would go. The guide doesn't differentiate between Ebay sellers and hobbyists does it? So, therefore, the value is completely incorrect.
    So is it fair to say it's "worth" the $60 or so it's going for on ebay? Keep in mind this is a game that must have sold in the millions.

It's seems like every time this conversation comes up it's "ebay ebay ebay". Silent Hill sells on ebay for fifty bucks. So now someone is trading it in buying and selling, and someone offers Gunstar Heroes for it...and that's not good enough! Now it takes more than Gunstar Heroes to get Silent Hill. What kind of crazy shit is that?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Micro Machines is definitely hard to find, this is not V4 but just plain MM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx
    Are Aero Elite and Lethal Skies enjoyable? I've been eyeballing them and debating picking them up.
    I dunno about Lethal Skies since I've never played it (see used copies everywhere though), but Aero Elite is really good. Made by Sega and it plays a lot like the Aero Wings game for Dreamcast. My only gripe with it is that the land textures and buildings look cheap. Other than that it's pretty fun and focuses a lot on flying technique rather than combat. Great flight sim.

You can also play it with the Hori flight stick controller too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dtolley
    PSN
    dtolley

I was curious about this topic so I hit Ebay and started searching for some games that I thought were hard to find. (I'm not saying "rare") A few others that I didn't see mentioned on the replies that are actually getting hard to come by are:

Obscure
    World Of Outlaws 2002
    The Guy Game
    MDK 2
    Echo Night Beyond
    Ring Of Red

I forgot to search this one, but I think Samurai Western may be tough to find too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

Grand theft auto 3

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    After some research, The DP guide shows Final Fantasy VII with a $ value of 10usd complete. I'll take as many copies as people are willing to give me for 10 bucks. Yes, I would resell them. All to Ebay they would go. The guide doesn't differentiate between Ebay sellers and hobbyists does it? So, therefore, the value is completely incorrect.
    So is it fair to say it's "worth" the $60 or so it's going for on ebay? Keep in mind this is a game that must have sold in the millions.

It's seems like every time this conversation comes up it's "ebay ebay ebay". Silent Hill sells on ebay for fifty bucks. So now someone is trading it in buying and selling, and someone offers Gunstar Heroes for it...and that's not good enough! Now it takes more than Gunstar Heroes to get Silent Hill. What kind of crazy shit is that?

Well, you're right. It is crazy shit. But, it's crazy market shit! . How can Bre X or Nortel be worth hundreds one day, and zilch the next. Speculation, I suppose. Probably similiar to how SH went up or FFVIII. And demand as well.

Anyways, even in our own buy/sell forum, where it was pointed out to me that people tend to sell more "collector to collector" with less regard for high end prices was proven wrong. I made a post in the buy/sell forum regarding a trade for devils crush for 4 copies of FFVII. The trade was laughed at basically, (as it should have been by CURRENT TRENDING AND SPECULATION/DEMAND) and one of the first comments was by a gamer who quoted going Ebay rates!!! And from personal correspondance, I believe the poster to not really give two hoots about it, but still used that price as a GUIDELINE for the games current worth. As it should be.

Most PS2 games were printed in huge numbers. Yes, including Disgaea. But the Ebay, or perceived value is high, as the demand is strong. Demand, is usually MORE important than scarcity. A Wayne Gretzky Rookie card had a very high print run, and there is still thousands upon thousands in Near mint shape. Not even counting the cards in lesser grades. But, DEMAND pulls the interest of nominal and major collectors alike. You could equate that to the average gamer and the fanatic I suppose.

So which is really in higher demand? The Dual Hearts game with an apparent low print run, or FFVII with a print run in the millions? I think we can guess!

So again. The reason I think the DP guides values should reflect the current market or not be there at all is for just occasions such as SH or FFVII where people seem to think just because there are huge quantities available that should supply the demand and therefore keep the price relatively low. Well, that is obviously not the case right now. Even in our own buy/sell forums people are associating a premium price to FFVII or SH because of increased demand for whatever the CRAZY reason.

I guess even though Gunstar Heroes is a great game, obviously with less copies produced, with the RARITY GUIDE PROPERLY REFLECTING THAT, FFVII is just in higher demand overall with our own buy/sell forums Ebay, and even gaming stores reflecting that trend. It could change tomorrow. But it would only change with an increased supply, or a lower demand

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, you're right. It is crazy shit. But, it's crazy market shit! . How can Bre X or Nortel be worth hundreds one day, and zilch the next. Speculation, I suppose. Probably similiar to how SH went up or FFVIII. And demand as well.

Anyways, even in our own buy/sell forum, where it was pointed out to me that people tend to sell more "collector to collector" with less regard for high end prices was proven wrong. I made a post in the buy/sell forum regarding a trade for devils crush for 4 copies of FFVII. The trade was laughed at basically, (as it should have been by CURRENT TRENDING AND SPECULATION/DEMAND) and one of the first comments was by a gamer who quoted going Ebay rates!!! And from personal correspondance, I believe the poster to not really give two hoots about it, but still used that price as a GUIDELINE for the games current worth. As it should be.

Most PS2 games were printed in huge numbers. Yes, including Disgaea. But the Ebay, or perceived value is high, as the demand is strong. Demand, is usually MORE important than scarcity. A Wayne Gretzky Rookie card had a very high print run, and there is still thousands upon thousands in Near mint shape. Not even counting the cards in lesser grades. But, DEMAND pulls the interest of nominal and major collectors alike. You could equate that to the average gamer and the fanatic I suppose.

So which is really in higher demand? The Dual Hearts game with an apparent low print run, or FFVII with a print run in the millions? I think we can guess!

So again. The reason I think the DP guides values should reflect the current market or not be there at all is for just occasions such as SH or FFVII where people seem to think just because there are huge quantities available that should supply the demand and therefore keep the price relatively low. Well, that is obviously not the case right now. Even in our own buy/sell forums people are associating a premium price to FFVII or SH because of increased demand for whatever the CRAZY reason.

I guess even though Gunstar Heroes is a great game, obviously with less copies produced, with the RARITY GUIDE PROPERLY REFLECTING THAT, FFVII is just in higher demand overall with our own buy/sell forums Ebay, and even gaming stores reflecting that trend. It could change tomorrow. But it would only change with an increased supply, or a lower demand

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    At best, a harder to find PS2 title would rank R5, I think. I haven't started to apply the rarity numbers to the guide, but it is something I intend on doing in the near future.
    Even though there are tons of threads on this, I'll add my 2 cents. These are ones I personally haven't seen in a long time.
    Kya: Dark Lineage
    I remember reading a favorable review for Kya at Gamecritics.com when it first came out and when I went searching for a copy it was already being dumped on Ebay. There was a ton of them available then and there seems to be a ton of them available now. That's the only one on your list I would have doubts about not being common. It's fun to speculate on the subject though.
    That's proof of my regional supply comment. I based my list above on what I haven't seen in my area for a while. I didn't bother to check ebay at all-I just went through the list and selected the titles that stuck out to me.

I have a few to toss out that don't turn up often in my parts nor are they flooding Ebay.

Lethal Skies: Elite Pilot
    Wizardry: The Forsaken Land
    Heroes of Might and Magic
    Micro Machines
    Piglet's Big Game
    I did a bit of editing to your list. I think those are also getting more difficult to find. Especially Micro Machines, which I've only seen one time at a store...the time I bought my copy. It was the last one, and I haven't seen any since.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard79
    I was curious about this topic so I hit Ebay and started searching for some games that I thought were hard to find. (I'm not saying "rare") A few others that I didn't see mentioned on the replies that are actually getting hard to come by are:

Obscure
    World Of Outlaws 2002
    The Guy Game
    MDK 2
    Yeah, those are making their way towards 'hard to find' territory. Especially World of Outlaws.

I forgot to search this one, but I think Samurai Western may be tough to find too.
    I don't think so. It was part of the huge TRU sale a while back, so they'll be around for a while. The game wasn't really in demand at all from what I can tell, so the sellers who picked them up to resell will probably sit on them. If you want to use ebay as a reference, there are at least 10 of them on there right now, not counting ebay stores. I see them at game stores here locally, and at Best Buy.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I made a post in the buy/sell forum regarding a trade for devils crush for 4 copies of FFVII. The trade was laughed at basically, (as it should have been by CURRENT TRENDING AND SPECULATION/DEMAND) and one of the first comments was by a gamer who quoted going Ebay rates!!! And from personal correspondance, I believe the poster to not really give two hoots about it, but still used that price as a GUIDELINE for the games current worth. As it should be.
    Don't go by people laughing at stuff in buy/sell...people will post anything just to hear the sound of their own fingers typing. If I had a dollar for every time some nitwit threadcrapped in B/S I could buy everything on the first page of that forum. Plus it wasn't open that long. The problem with that experiment is that it is just that...would you really trade your Devils Crush for 4 FF7s? Not likely that someone will take you up on that, but not totally impossible either. I mean what your saying is "WOULD ANYONE TAKE THIS FAKE DEAL", and the answer is no, so you say "SEE!!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, those are making their way towards 'hard to find' territory. Especially World of Outlaws.
    I've yet to find a copy of World of Outlaws 2002 in the wild and I've been looking every single time I go to the game store at every game store I go to for over a year now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've yet to find a copy of World of Outlaws 2002 in the wild and I've been looking every single time I go to the game store at every game store I go to for over a year now
    Man, I guess I got lucky finding that one. About a year ago right after I found out it was hard to find, I went on Gamestop's site to see if there were any copies near me. A store a few miles from me had a nice, complete copy for $18, so I went there that night and snatched it up. Haven't seen any others since.

I wonder if its sequel "Road To Knoxville" will be just as hard to find in the future. It's a budget title, so probably not but you never know.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I made a post in the buy/sell forum regarding a trade for devils crush for 4 copies of FFVII. The trade was laughed at basically, (as it should have been by CURRENT TRENDING AND SPECULATION/DEMAND) and one of the first comments was by a gamer who quoted going Ebay rates!!! And from personal correspondance, I believe the poster to not really give two hoots about it, but still used that price as a GUIDELINE for the games current worth. As it should be.
    Don't go by people laughing at stuff in buy/sell...people will post anything just to hear the sound of their own fingers typing. If I had a dollar for every time some nitwit threadcrapped in B/S I could buy everything on the first page of that forum. Plus it wasn't open that long. The problem with that experiment is that it is just that...would you really trade your Devils Crush for 4 FF7s? Not likely that someone will take you up on that, but not totally impossible either. I mean what your saying is "WOULD ANYONE TAKE THIS FAKE DEAL", and the answer is no, so you say "SEE!!"
    Besides who's really sitting on four copies of Final Fantasy 7?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    Besides who's really sitting on four copies of Final Fantasy 7?
    I'll dig around the basement of the DP store tomorrow. Will someone have a Devils Crush for me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just dug one up yesterday in a random GameCrazy. First one I had ever seen. Was going to post it in "Finds" thread.

Best part of it was it was marked at $14 but rang up at $7.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ive had no less than 5 copies of world of outlaws, all purchased in retail centers. not to say its not rare, just my personal experience.