Thread: Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis - thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis - thoughts?

didn't see a thread on this, and was just wondering if anyone had picked it up yet. i've managed to plow through the first world so far.... it looks like its going to be significantly more difficult than the first game. i've only managed 1 gold star in the first world, the rest are silver.

controlling the mini marios via the stylus (required) is taking some getting used to....

anyway, who else has picked this one up?
    My Website | #VBender | Last.fm
    Part of the #vbender crew
    [21:39] <Ze_ro> Perkar: Put "Official #vbender Slut" in your sig.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked it up. I wouldn't even put it in the same category as the first one as it's a totally different game. Obviously, what it is, is "Mario Lemmings" so I was a little dissapointed in that respect. I wanted more original Mario vs. Donkey Kong action

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With reviews pointing out the wonky controls, I was afraid this would get aggravating pretty quick.

The GBA game is great.

I picked up Rocket Slime instead. Barely started, but can say it is very polished.
    Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Barry Goldwater, 1964

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

Yeah I had high expectations for this. Played it the other day and couldnt get into it like the first game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm loving it. As someone mentioned above, it's basically Nintendo's answer to (Sony's) Lemmings. Except int his case there are no job classifications, instead you manuever them through sticky situations that are maze-like and dangerous (like the higher levels of DK). The game also boasts WiFi for uploading and exchanging maps and user made levels. At least that's what I get form the manual, I have yet to use it, as I'm apparently one of the few with the game on DP, and the only Benderite I believe to have it.

The controls are pretty dead on, so I don't know what was meant by "wonky". Unless it meant that using the stylus to puch your toys down warp pipes is wonky. That was just a given though. As soon as your mini-mario sits on a warp pipe, you instinctively attempt to push him down is. I get a kick out of watching a mario wind up toy grab a fire flower and shoot fireballs at enemy wind up toys.

I never played the original, so I can't give you a side by side comparison or review. But I can tell you that my favorite part of this game is the opening sequence after starting a new game. Remember Pauline form Donkey Kong. Boy has she "grown". !!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the Mario vs. Donkey Kong and have both the GBA and GB games. I was expecting this to be the same but from what people are talking about it's not. In fact, it being compaired to Lemmings makes me even more so what to buy it. Lemmings is up there in the best games I played as a kid, first playing it on a Apple computer, along with Diablo and Warcraft 1. If they have it at Toy's 'R Us I'll be picking it up and getting another DS game free! It's their anniversary sale and it ends tomorrow.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor
    If they have it at Toy's 'R Us I'll be picking it up and getting another DS game free! It's their anniversary sale and it ends tomorrow.
    Isn't it buy two get one free?

I loved the first game - DK 1994, but wasn't really able to get into the GBA one, probably because of the pre-rendered graphics. Although this one being like Lemmings really interests me, I loved Lemmings. I played the hell out of my SNES cart

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

By "wonky," the prozines really mean, "we don't know how to play this." Seriously, I don't think many of those reviewers are very good at playing videogames. They're too coddled by playing the same Doom and Tomb Raider clones. Heaven help them if they were handed Pirates or Seven Cities of Gold.

Mario DK 2 is included in the latest download demos, so I managed to play around with it for a while yesterday. It took me forever to figure out what to do - basically controlling everything with the stylus - but once it finally clicked with me, I was loving it.

Like many of you, I expected another spinoff from the old Gameboy Donkey Kong, like the GBA version. This is much different, very Lemmings, but without the cool suicides. It promises to be yet another quality puzzler on a handheld that's already packed with great puzzlers. I'm very tempted to go down to EB and pick one up.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah "wonky" controls basically translates to "I'm scared of trying something different, so I'm just going to make fun of it"

pussies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, I was making the same point in my latest blog entry on Lost in Blue. I'm wondering what these prozine kids would do if they were handed a C64 or Amiga.

You'd think by now, everyone would expect each new DS game to be something innovative and quirky. It's easily the most fertile ground for games today, and it shames the other consoles for their timidity.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, i'm through 3-2 at this point... it's getting more difficult, and the gold stars are really really hard to get. you have to keep your mini marios moving at all times to get the "nonstop" bonus at the end to hit anywhere near the gold star score plateau. i think i'm up to 3 gold stars (1-1, 1-2, and 1-7).

it's fun though, definitely a good change of pace.
    My Website | #VBender | Last.fm
    Part of the #vbender crew
    [21:39] <Ze_ro> Perkar: Put "Official #vbender Slut" in your sig.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I downloaded the demo, and the fact I was annoyed that it ended after only six levels is proof enough for me that it's a definate buy for me.

I'll pick it up at Circuit City on Sunday (when they'll have it on sale for $23.99 )

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29