Thread: Happy 10th Birthday, Nintendo 64....

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Happy 10th Birthday, Nintendo 64....

Yes people... September 29th is finally here. It was 10 years ago today that the Nintendo 64 was released. (Yes, I know some retailers broke the street date and sold it on Sept. 26th). But Sept. 29th is the official release date.

I remember travelling nearly 3 hours away to the Kamloops, BC Wal-Mart (we left at 4am, and arrived at 7am). To my surprise, there was about 3-4 people already there (one was a girl) lined up. So I was 5th in line. It was fun killing off 2 hours talking to other gamers.

SINCE my cousin worked there (she was waiting outside with us), she donned her blue vest and got in the main entrance at 8:55, 5 minutes before store opening. Her main goal was to SECURE a system for me. So when the doors opened up, everyone AHEAD of me and everyone BEHIND me ran to the electronics. My girlfreind and I just walked casually, knowing we had one secured (and sure enough, we did). As soon as we got to the Electronics Dept, we were handed a brand new Nintendo 64 system by my cousin. I also picked up Super Mario 64 AND Pilotwings 64.

Since she only lived 20 mins away, we took it to her house, and I let my girlfreind have the first-ever turn (she played Super Mario 64). She died on the First Level of mario 64 where the chain chomp is. Then it was my turn, and if I recall, I made it all the way up that mountain to where that boss bob-omb was.

After a good 30 mins of taking turns and playing, we packed it back up, and took the 3-hour car ride back home. When we got back, my brother has invited 3 little kids over to see the new system, and since i already had my turn, I had to hook it up and let the 3 kids PLUS my brother play before I had another turn.

When I later opened up Pilotwings 64 that night, that hooked my dad. My dad really wasnt a video gamer at all, and I was shocked that he loved playing it. It was a good time for a father and son bond, and we did that.

My father is no longer with us (he died in November 2000), but I still remember us bonding that one night, 10 Years ago tonight.

Is anyone else gonna hook up their Nintendo 64 today, and give it some "Birthday Love"??

Dan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Thread already running here, and this has been done before and locked here.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry guys, I didnt check before I posted my thread. Hope y'all still enjoyed my story tho.

Dan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nintendan
    Sorry guys, I didnt check before I posted my thread. Hope y'all still enjoyed my story tho.

Dan
    Please copy it over to the other thread so it doesn't get lost in the lock shuffle. Would be a terrible waste if it did.