Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ps 3 controller name announced and New peripherals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

SIXAXIS is hard to pronounce, so I suggest we refer to it as the shizazzle... :P
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer Triple Shock, but to each their own and all that.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by le geek
    SIXAXIS is hard to pronounce, so I suggest we refer to it as the shizazzle... :P
    Seconded!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenFlight
    Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Hm.. i dont get it. When Sony also announced tilt feature for their controller people said they ripped off Nintendo (Sony might have worked on the tilt function before Nintendo announced it, besides tilt function is not Nintendo's technoligy, but thats another discussion), but when Nintendo copies the double analog sticks and adds 2 extra shoulder buttons just like the PS controller has its suddently an upgraded SNES controller? Why isnt the PS3 controller a PS2 upgraded controll if the VC control is an upgraded SNES control?
    Sony fanboy!

Kill him!

I wrote it in a neutral way and my favorite systems are like NES, SNES and GBA so.. :P

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="JPeeples"]Many have called Sony using tilt technology now a Nintendo rip-off because Nintendo has made it a focal point of the system, and then Sony announces that they too are going to use it, to the surprise of everyone (developers included).quote]

How long after the Nintendo announce was the PS3 controller announced?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shizazzle it is!

I love palindromes tho.

My favorite?

Sex at noon taxes

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="jajaja"]
    Quote Originally Posted by JPeeples
    Many have called Sony using tilt technology now a Nintendo rip-off because Nintendo has made it a focal point of the system, and then Sony announces that they too are going to use it, to the surprise of everyone (developers included).quote]

I think about eight to nine months. Nintendo announced @ TGS Sept 05. Six Degrees was announced by Sony at E3 06 in early May. Plenty of time to whip something up sayz me. :P

Accelerameters have been used as far back as the late 90's by Logitech and Microsoft in steering wheel like controllers so it's hardly cutting edge. Would be real easy to get the tech and slap it into a proto unit. Just supposition of course.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm betting that the Sixaxis wil retail for $60 in the states. Bare minimum $50. Also $40 for the remote and $20 to $30 for the Memory adapter. Wii peripheral price points don't seem so much anymore.

Edit... I yearn for your return.

As far as palindromes go I must have the mental stamina of a 6 year old cause wow, mom, dad, pop, tot and nun come to mind.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight
    Accelerameters have been used as far back as the late 90's by Logitech and Microsoft in steering wheel like controllers so it's hardly cutting edge. Would be real easy to get the tech and slap it into a proto unit. Just supposition of course.
    Ye, that is also one thing i've been wondering. As you mention, the tilt technoligy isnt new, first time i heard about it was with the MS Sidewinder controller at the end of the 90s. The people who say Sony ripped off Nintendo, wouldnt it be more correct to say that both ripped off (if they want to use that phrase) Microsoft instead? Now, im not even sure MS was first out with this, but MS was out with it before Sony and Nintendo atleast.

Its also fully possible that Sony did get inspired by Nintendo to make something like this, but there is a big different from ripping off and being inspired. If being inspired by something was "forbidden" the world would be crazy today. Imagine that only 1 brand of car should be allowed to use airbags and only Windows OS should be allowed to use a keyboard and mouse etc etc.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

[quote="jajaja"]
    Quote Originally Posted by JPeeples
    Many have called Sony using tilt technology now a Nintendo rip-off because Nintendo has made it a focal point of the system, and then Sony announces that they too are going to use it, to the surprise of everyone (developers included).quote]

Like an hour.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu
    What would this PS ripoff be called?

What the N64 controller should have looked like.
    touche my friend!
    www.worldofgamespublishing.com
    Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by le geek
    how about sucksasses
    yes i did it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight
    Ye, that is also one thing i've been wondering. As you mention, the tilt technoligy isnt new, first time i heard about it was with the MS Sidewinder controller at the end of the 90s. The people who say Sony ripped off Nintendo, wouldnt it be more correct to say that both ripped off (if they want to use that phrase) Microsoft instead? Now, im not even sure MS was first out with this, but MS was out with it before Sony and Nintendo atleast.

Its also fully possible that Sony did get inspired by Nintendo to make something like this, but there is a big different from ripping off and being inspired. If being inspired by something was "forbidden" the world would be crazy today. Imagine that only 1 brand of car should be allowed to use airbags and only Windows OS should be allowed to use a keyboard and mouse etc etc.
    I'd say it was less inspiration, more like business as usual on Sony's part. It's not bad to offer what your competition offers in your own products but, as I see it, Sony doesn't lead off with any changes. Rather they imitate the competition and attempt to one up on them. I'm not saying it's a stupid move. Hell, Bill Gates became the wealthiest man in the world by the imitate-eliminate strategy (Windows was pretty much a copy of the GUI based DOS shell OS Steve Jobs invented for Apple). I feel if Sony was the only console company in the market we'd be seeing '84 all over again PDQ.

Nintendo is the case of the Wii control design is totally different. Yes, they used accelorameters but, they also have the scensor bar that sits under the tv that can detect where the Wiimote is in 3 dimensional space and also it's orientation at that possition. Now indulge me for a moment.

It takes 6 points of data to plot a specified point in 3D space, your range of sensory is a cube because you need 6 pieces of 2D array data, 1 point on each side of the sensory cube with the sensor bar being the 7th point or the point of origin, which is static as it doesn't move. You need that data just to find the Wiimote.

Now say that point you just derived is the center of a cube (the Wiimote itself) That cube also has six sides one of each labeled; top (controller face), left side (side left of face), right side (side right of face), bottom (side where the trigger like B button is), up (pointing device side) and down (expansion port side). To determine the Wiimote's orientation you just need to know where that top side is pointing and it's degree of tilt from the sensor. So you have the center point already and you also know how far away the top side is from the center point. All you need is for either the top or the center points to transmit it's distance to the sensor bar and whammo you have just plotted the Wiimote's place and possition in 3D space.

If Nintendo copied anyone it was the Greys at Area 51.

Nintendo uses the accelo-thingys but, they are in the nunchaku not the remote. Or as far as I know anyway.

Does anyone else have a headache?

sucksasses <----

How about a slogan for the Sixaxis? Like -
    Tilt the Sixaxis for MASSIVE DAMAGE! :P

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wasnt there a motion controller for the atari 2600?

as i recall it looked just like a bike grip, but you tilted it for mation(like a joystick without a base). had a mercury switch in it as i recall? and mercury has been used for thermostats for a lOOONG time...so atari was jocking off of the heating and cooling industry, who copied off of doctors prior to that.

seems the Wii controller is just a thermometer with sticks on it!!
    everything has been done before. who cares who copied it where?

though i love the name 'shizzazzle'