Thread: PS2 Online

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 Online

I was thinking about getting a PS2 Network Adapter but I wasn't sure how long online PS2 games will be supported after PS3 comes out.

I was going to get one specifically to play MGS3 Online... When MGS4 comes out do you think MGS3 will still be online?
    Cryptopsy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I seriously doubt Konami will stop supporting MGS3 online for quite some time. MGS4 isn't coming out until next Fall at the earliest, so you still have a good year (at least) of MGS3 online play.

Remember, MGS online is broadband (or cable) only. Of course this begs the question...if you have broadband and are interested in online gaming, why don't you just get Live and a 360? (because Xbox doesn't have Metal Gear Solid...I know, I know)
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Because of the Playstation 2's open network, there will be games that are supported online for a long time. There will still be PS2 titles online 5 years from now. It depends on the game, because each game is controlled by individual companies rather than a central entity.

MGS3 Online is controlled by Konami. In japan online titles tend to be terminated after short periods of time. An online lifespan of a year or less is typical in japan.

Recently Konami terminated the Genki developed mech game, Steel Lancer Arena International. The game had only been online for a little over a year.

The habbits of Japanes online game administration in Japan puts MGS3 Online at higher risk.

However... The Metal Gear franchise is extremely popular, and Kojima and his staff seem like those that would not pre-maturely cut off the online title in its prime. Even when MGS4 comes out, and if it has an online mode, MGS3 will still have a fanbase of players online.

Because of this, I MGS3 should be online for a bare minimum of another 1-2 years, with a possible online lifespan of 3+ years.

If I were you, I would get the Network Adaptor and enjoy MGS3 Online as well as the large library of other PS2 online titles available. I own and play MGS3 online myself, and it is a superb online experience. It is incredible how the developers were able to accuratly translate the Metal Gear mystique into an online atmosphere. If you are a MGS fan you are only cheating yourself out of a great experience by not checking out the online gameplay.
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

If you've got a mini PS2 the NA is built in and you should be fine. If you've got the bigger PS2 then make sure that you get the NA disc with the adaptor, otherwise it'll just be a piece of junk attached to the back of your PS2. I've not seen any stores selling them new in a while so you might really have to look.

The only games you've got to really worry about not working are the sports titles. EA especially has stopped online support for the previous years titles just about a month after the new titles come out to help try and force you to buy the new ones to continue to play online.

Most general titles still have their servers up. Even Amplitude still had its servers up 6 months ago (last time I played it online) but almost everyone who was still up were massive cheaters.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright, thanks... I've beaten MGS3: Subsistence 3x times already, figured it was time to check out the other disc (Persistence).

I plan on ordering one off of Amazon. It's gay that Sony discontinued them.
    Cryptopsy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's easy to track down a PS2 network adaptor. There were plenty of them produced. Unlike the Dreamcast, where a BBA for that system will run you around $150.00.

Also, it is important to note that most online games have a built in network setup tool. So if you acquire a used network adaptor with no startup disc, you can still configure your network settings no problem.
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

My local GS has used network adaptors for $10. Good deal, imo.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YHaloThar

I was actually able to walk in to my local Ebay when MGS3:S was released (I don't remember when that was exactly) and find a new PS2 network adaptor. I don't know about their availability now, but they seem to be fairly easy to find.
    Mankind ill needs a savior such as you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i can only find them for $40+
    Cryptopsy!