Thread: Do switch-boxes just naturally suck ass, or..?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do switch-boxes just naturally suck ass, or..?

I have an Atari 2600, a Commodore 64, and an Intellivision. I just bought the INTV so I'm eager to play it, but I just have no luck with switch-boxes. I own two completely different switch boxes, but they both provide incredibly unsatisfactory and nauseating results for all three of the systems..

A static-covered screen, incredibly hard to see.. I can spend like 30 minutes jiggling it around a little bit to get a tolerable screen, but I just can't get a nice looking picture. What..the..hell...

It frustrates the pants right of me. I'm not wearing pants anymore. Thanks a lot switch-box.

What should I do?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Nick J. Phillips

"Eternal Popcorn" (Honestly?... This probably isn't worth clicking.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I guess it's subjective. If you're used to component-quality, what may be considered "acceptable" by you is probably different than someone who never even dreamed of having that quality. I've used switchboxes most of my life, and they've always been fine for me. They're fairly cheap-I'd pick up a few more at a thrift and hope for the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AV mods are a possibility too, but for bang for buck, the F-Plug linked above is a good way to go.

Switch boxes suck. Use an F-plug.

Or composite or S-Video.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

You can do s-video or RGB with the C64 if you can locate the cables. I used to have a pair of RGB cables, but I have no idea whatever happened to them.

Composite mods can be done to the Inty and VCS if you search the web and have good soldering skills.

RF modulation does suck.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

It also depends on the TV as well. I've seen some TV's where the RF looks absolutely horrible, and some other TV's where the RF looks stunning (well, for RF, that is). I'd try using the same switch-boxes with other TV's, if at all possible, to see if the problem is actually with the switch-box.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Also make sure you're in VHF/UHF (antenna) mode instead of CATV (cable) mode. The channel bandwidth is different and the tuner will give you a better picture in the antenna mode.

My 2600 Jr. looks like crap in cable mode on Channel 3, but is crystal clear on the same channel in Antenna mode.
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

As was mentioned, drop the couple bucks on a phono to type-F adapter. That plus an A/B box (so you can still have your cable line connected) lets you use your switchbox era consoles with the minimal amount of hassle and work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Do switch-boxes just naturally suck ass, or..?

Quote Originally Posted by Veepa
    A static-covered screen, incredibly hard to see.. I can spend like 30 minutes jiggling it around a little bit to get a tolerable screen, but I just can't get a nice looking picture. What..the..hell...

It frustrates the pants right of me. I'm not wearing pants anymore. Thanks a lot switch-box.

What should I do?
    Are you using a manual switchbox or an automatic one?

When I first got my 7800, I tried using an auto switchbox from my NES and SMS and neither worked (the 7800 didn't come with one). The screen was filled with static. It looked like when you watch an old TV and someone turns on a vacuum in the room. I read online that older systems don't output a strong enough signal to complete switch over an automatic switchbox.

So, I did what was suggested above and got a type F adapter from Radioshack. Plugged it in, and I was crystal clear in 15 seconds. Well, as clear as an RF signal gets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the old beat up ones work best for me - i purchased a few diferent kind from radio shack as replacements and they sucked -- the old ones i find at flea markets work best for me
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got a Colecovision awhile back & the direct-connect cable connection/reception SUCKED. The screen was visible & the game(s) playable, but it needed lots of improvement.

I was told to use an old Atari silver switchbox (w/ "TV/GAME" slider switch) & it worked wonders. There's still a bit of interference, but it's much improved.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RJ
    I got a Colecovision awhile back & the direct-connect cable connection/reception SUCKED. The screen was visible & the game(s) playable, but it needed lots of improvement.

I was told to use an old Atari silver switchbox (w/ "TV/GAME" slider switch) & it worked wonders. There's still a bit of interference, but it's much improved.
    Use one of those phono to type-F adapters with a good video cable and it'll look a million times better.