1 Post

I wanted for game cube or nintendo Wii 720P image

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RARusk,

I figured out how to remove the sync from green.
    (NOTE: This gets technical.)
    If the PS2 outputs 0.3v-0.7v as green, and VGA monitors accept 0v-0.7v, then the function to use would be f(g) = 1.75g - 0.525, where g is the sync-on-green value in volts. If the PS2 values I listed up there are incorrect, then it's not that hard to figure out what the function is, it's a y=mx+b equation.

I don't know exactly how to make the hardware, though. For subtraction, you could use either a resistor or an op-amp with 0.525v going into the - end. Multiplication would be a bit more difficult, but would probably use an op-amp and some extra analog components.
    The name's Link
    And I'm braver than brave
    I got a wooden sword from and old man in a cave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence
    I ordered mine this morning from their website. It was 39.95 for the NTSC version plus shipping. I figured why not, if it does anything close to what it says it should be pretty sweet.
    Be sure to post your thoughts on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by Joker T
    I ordered mine this morning from their website. It was 39.95 for the NTSC version plus shipping. I figured why not, if it does anything close to what it says it should be pretty sweet.
    Be sure to post your thoughts on it.

I will the day I get it.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I have done some researching into sync removal but there isn't a whole lot of stuff out there.

There is one page where you can make a sync removal device out of three small chips. I have had a copy of this document for awhile, but it is already outdated. Two of the chips have been replaced with better ones plus the ISL59885 doesn't output the signal the circuit needs to work.

But I did find something called SyncBlaster made by Keene Electronics. It is a small box that will allow you to manipulate sync. It will allow you to split sync, remove it from green, and even put it on green if you want. However, it is a UK product mainly because of the SCART plugs it uses. And I haven't been able to find out how much it costs.

What I would do with it is examine the chips to see if they run off of +5VDC and, if they do, then rig it to work with the PS2's +5VDC so I would not need an external power adaptor. So the SyncBlaster board can be used to remove sync from green and I would also add a small board with the ISL59885 to get sync from green prior to it being removed from the green line. I would also replace the SCART plugs with standard plugs.

NOTE: The ISL59885 auto-syncs itself to whatever sync rate is thrown at it plus it removes the extra sync pulses that the MacroVision copy protection scheme uses (so you can watch DVDs in RGB without your screen getting messed up). The chips inside the SyncBlaster, I believe, don't remove MacroVision and the ISL59885 is the latest sync chip on the market and probably a lot better than the ones inside the SyncBlaster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Okay, I just got back from the Keene Electronics site and looked over their SyncBlaster line. I don't know why I didn't do this before. Well, the SyncBlaster is an expensive piece of electronics - roughly about $100 depending on the exchange rate. But if can do a lot you should expect to pay alot I guess.

At this point I may be better off trying to acquire another Version 3 PS2 motherboard (to replace the one I have damaged due to experimentation) and doing RGB modification to it. On the SCPH-30000 units you can acquire the sync straight off of the motherboard, disable Component Video, and even disable Sync-On-Green (something I haven't tried yet although I have the info on how to do it).

I should probably contact Intersil about their "simple sync removal" circuit and see if they can update it with the ISL59885 in mind. I have been dealing with them off and on for the past five years (they make the best sync separation chips) and maybe I can talk them into doing an update of that circuit for other experimenters.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks promising. Don't expect it to look spectacular past 480p though. PS2 games weren't designed with 720 and higher in mind. It's all upscaling in the higher resolutions. It's even admitted in the mini faq.

I somehow doubt this will work with hdloader. It's a piggyback program just like hdloader so it might be tricky getting it to work. They might be able to integrate this option into the next hdl patch or modchip bios. Swapping in the xploder disc every time will get old real quick.

I had the schematics for a device for using a non-SOG monitor with the linux kit a while back. I'll have to look in my archive for it. I didn't get around to building it since I borrowed a compatible monitor from a friend and I sold the kit after he took it back. But with this, I might have to go dig it up.

For the record, it's spelled algorithm.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i wonder if it will get rid of the jaggies on the PS2 games.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marwan
    i wonder if it will get rid of the jaggies on the PS2 games.
    Probably not. That has something to do with the hardware graphics engine. All this thing does is unlock the progressive scan potential.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I got my shipping confirmation, should be recieving it in a couple days.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I received mine yesterday, but won't be able to try it out until Sunday. I'll have something up by the end of the weekend...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

From what I have read on the same topic I started at GamesX, those who have both the Xploder HDTV and HDLoader have reported that you CANNOT use HDLoader with Xpolder HDTV.

As for resolution, the games are made with 480/525 vertical resolution in mind so I don't understand why you would want to go into 720/1080 territory. The images are not going to look that good in 720/1080. I will stick to just doing 480p since that is the maximum for my MultiSync 3D anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Mine arrived yesterday but I was heading out of town so I didn't get to try it out...yet. I'll give it a full run down tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Ok, it arrived on Saturday and I finally had a chance to play around with it. I tried 6 games, all PS2 on it so far and I'll say that it works as advertised. It puts the games into 720p and they run at full speed. I also discovered that it does work with backup copies of games, if your PS2 is chipped.

Now all that being said it does have some faults. One the jaggies are still there and any graphical flaw stands out, big time. Two grainy games still look grainy (see Ico).

Is it worth 50 bucks, well thats hard to say. I'm all for HD so I'm going to lean to the yes side. Granted I still have to monkey with the video settings but so far I would say if you like HD and have the TV that can support it get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Is it worth 50 bucks? That is hard to say. I'm all for HD so I'm going to lean to the yes side. Granted I still have to monkey with the video settings but so far I would say if you like HD and have the TV that can support it get it.
    I thought it was $40? Where did you get this $50 figure from? Anyway, I do not have HDTV just yet, But I thought of buying this as I hear PS2 looks like hell on component.

If it does not make a gigantic difference, It would be only worth $20 to me. If that.

Oh, one question: Wich resolution looks better for the PS2? 480P or 720P? I know you haven't messed with the video settings, But when you do, I'd like to know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

It was 50 after shipping. I wouldnt say its HUGE difference, but it is definately a visable difference. I didnt try it on 480p yet since I was more curious about 720p.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

It was 50 after shipping. I wouldnt say its HUGE difference, but it is definitely a visable difference. I didnt try it on 480p yet since I was more curious about 720p.
    Are there any other options for the video or do you just select a resolution and go?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

You can chose pal/ntsc , vga modes, hdtv modes and adjust the screen position.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

does it stretch games into widescreen since HDTV is widescreen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Yes, it stretches them into widescreen.