Thread: can i purchase XBLA games then move them to another 360?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default can i purchase XBLA games then move them to another 360?

one of my friends doesnt have a gold xbl account so he cannot purchase any of the xbla games, all he got are the demos for now. Is it possible for me to download a fully purchased game on my 64MB memory card like UMK3 then give it to him? i tried that and it didn't work, it kept showing up as the trial version on his 360.

i was wondering if there is a way around it.

he doesnt have a credit card, and doesnt have time to buy a pre-paid xbl point card since he lives far.

thanks.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im sure MS have put a copy protection on this or else it would be easy to copy the games.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does he have a debit card at least? Just something for ID purposes so he can set up a Live account would make this very easy. It won't charge you unless you consiously tell it to so it shouldn't be a problem.

You won't be able to do this unless he has an account also. In which case he could go onto Live on your 360, copy the game to a card and then it's his.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He only needs a silver account to dl games, not a gold account.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OdSquad64
    PSN
    OdSquad64

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes he does have a silver account, im just trying to find a way to purchase the game for him from my 360, then move it to his.

i was under the impression that if i move a purchased game from my 360, it will be unlocked on the other 360, and mine would become a trial.

thanks OdSquad64, if i copy my profile to his using the memory card, does that mean when we play online it'll be gamertag vs my gamer tag on his 360?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes he does have a silver account, im just trying to find a way to purchase the game for him from my 360, then move it to his.

i was under the impression that if i move a purchased game from my 360, it will be unlocked on the other 360, and mine would become a trial.

thanks OdSquad64, if i copy my profile to his using the memory card, does that mean when we play online it'll be gamertag vs my gamer tag on his 360?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Pretty sure you need a Gold account and must be connected to XboX live to play the bought games..

Every time my live is down I can't even load the games for some reason, maybe that's just a few?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whenever you buy a XBLA it "ties" that game to the console you bought it on, with the account you bought it with. You can play that game, whether you are online or off, with any account on that machine, even if the original account you bought the game with is not signed in.

Things get messy though when you switch to a different console. I've had my 360 replaced three times, so now unless I am online, talking to Live!, all the games I downloaded and legitimately purchased on the previous consoles are "trial" versions, even with my original Gold account signed in. This is how your friend's Xbox 360 would react if you were to buy a game on your console and transfer it over. It would ONLY be a "full" version if you put your account on his 360, and your account was signed in at the time he played the game.

It was a big pain during the Live downtime last week... I couldn't play but one of my XBLA games (that I paid full-price for). I shudder to think what will happen in ten years. None of these games will be playable. I'm thinking of obtaining the disc-based Arcade Unplugged just so I can have a physical copy for down the road. I did it with the Halo 2 level pack for that reason, and its paid off with all of my console replacements. I haven't had to re-download anything, and I was able to transfer the levels over to a new console easily and without hassle.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dobie
    Whenever you buy a XBLA it "ties" that game to the console you bought it on, with the account you bought it with. You can play that game, whether you are online or off, with any account on that machine, even if the original account you bought the game with is not signed in.

Things get messy though when you switch to a different console. I've had my 360 replaced three times, so now unless I am online, talking to Live!, all the games I downloaded and legitimately purchased on the previous consoles are "trial" versions, even with my original Gold account signed in. This is how your friend's Xbox 360 would react if you were to buy a game on your console and transfer it over. It would ONLY be a "full" version if you put your account on his 360, and your account was signed in at the time he played the game.

It was a big pain during the Live downtime last week... I couldn't play but one of my XBLA games (that I paid full-price for). I shudder to think what will happen in ten years. None of these games will be playable. I'm thinking of obtaining the disc-based Arcade Unplugged just so I can have a physical copy for down the road. I did it with the Halo 2 level pack for that reason, and its paid off with all of my console replacements. I haven't had to re-download anything, and I was able to transfer the levels over to a new console easily and without hassle.
    thanks dobie. but if i copy my account to another 360(using memory card), can the same account be logged on from 2 different 360s at the same time to get the full game on both systems?

or would u get a message saying your account is logged on from another 360 or some crap like that...?

thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OdSquad64
    PSN
    OdSquad64

Quote Originally Posted by marwan
    can the same account be logged on from 2 different 360s at the same time to get the full game on both systems?

or would u get a message saying your account is logged on from another 360 or some crap like that...?
    i havent actually done it, but that article says "The split games are fully functional, even allowing multiplayer matches involving both half-owners." so i would have to assume you could log on on both consoles