Thread: ps 3 games require firmware update

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default ps 3 games require firmware update

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/744/744063p1.html
    According to this you need a system update to version 1.02. The games that need a firmware update are Madden NFL 07, Genji: Days of the Blade, Ridge Racer 7 and Resistance: Fall of Man. Arcording the link the good news about the updates is the update ships on the disc so that you won't need to be online to download anything, but you should of course be able to update before the games come by hopping online.

This means the ps 3 should be easy to be pirated. This also means the system will need firmware updates as time goes by for the ps 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Another reason why I hate s---. They did it with the PSP now they're doing it with PS3! The only thing good on the PSP is emulation and with Silent Hill coming on the PSP they're forcing me to buy another PSP sometime down the road!

If there are hacks for the PS3 that require you to NOT update your PS3 (That interest me) I am going to be really mad. Not at the hacks, But at s---

Nintendo and Microsoft censored so that the dreaded S name isn't here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I spent $600 on a PS3 personally I would be playing PS3 games on it.

I'd be scared shitless to try and hack it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joker T
    If I spent $600 on a PS3 personally I would be playing PS3 games on it.

I'd be scared shitless to try and hack it.
    Point made since I won't be buying one until they're $200, and those units WILL have the latest firmware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    Another reason why I hate s---. They did it with the PSP now they're doing it with PS3! The only thing good on the PSP is emulation and with Silent Hill coming on the PSP they're forcing me to buy another PSP sometime down the road!

If there are hacks for the PS3 that require you to NOT update your PS3 (That interest me) I am going to be really mad. Not at the hacks, But at s---

I originally was interested in the PSP for its emulation, but my friend (whom is a sony basher) said f psp and get a game park. I have seen the GP2X and I say that unit is the best means for emulation on the go.

So back on topic - so when I get my PS3 at launch I will need to run a firmware update disc before I can play Genji (the only game I reserved - launch titels are weak) what happened to games that forced updates, the ones that if you "decline" you won't be able to play such & such game.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You hate MS also because the update their stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    You hate MS also because the update their stuff?
    No, there aren't any hacks on 360 that I'd use.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What do you mean? The only reason why they upgrade the firmare isnt to prevent piracy. Its to make the console better, fixing bugs etc. Its like updating a PC game.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What do you mean? The only reason why they upgrade the firmare isnt to prevent piracy. Its to make the console better, fixing bugs etc. Its like updating a PC game.
    That is one of the problems we are facing. It gives them the liberty to make sloppy code and fix it later. They shouldn't make it firmware upgradable so they do it right the first time. With Microsoft, every time there is an update, a portion of 360 users end up with a bricked console. There is a possibility of regression faults introduced with every new update.

This is why I prefer console gaming to pc gaming. The static nature of the game (non-updatable) forces the developer to make sure the game is as bug-free as possible.

A regression fault is a new bug introduced in an old portion of code in an update that wasn't present in the old version.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well.. ye, but i doubt they are thinking like "lets make bad code now, we can always fix it later".

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55
    This is why I prefer console gaming to pc gaming. The static nature of the game (non-updatable) forces the developer to make sure the game is as bug-free as possible.
    It will still be like this tho. Even if firmware is updated it wont fix a bug in <game title>.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well.. ye, but i doubt they are thinking like "lets make bad code now, we can always fix it later".
    It's more like "We're behind schedule and it mostly works."

As a computer programmer, I come across this scenario quite a bit. I usually barely finish my school projects in time and dont have the time to extensively test as much as I wanted to.

Nobody intentionally releases bad code unless they have some sort of vendetta. However, for a company with nearly unlimited resources, it baffles me how many bugs there are.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55
    Nobody intentionally releases bad code unless they have some sort of vendetta. However, for a company with nearly unlimited resources, it baffles me how many bugs there are.
    Reminds me of Battlefield hehe. Patch was out like before the game was out Same was it with BF2142, patch 1.01 was out like 1-2 days after release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ignorrance must be bliss?

Jebus christ, the other two company's will update there firmware
    as time goes by for better security, taking a shot at sony
    here with out mentioning the latest MS update is very
    cheap my friend and really show you like hating them
    because you can
    zomg I have a sig

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ye, im pretty sure Wii will also update the firmware frequently, or atleast once in a while. I saw a IGN movie when they tested a Wii devkit and the guy mentioned something about the firmware wasnt updated. So the only negative thing about this is that pirates will have a hard time, but for the console itself, its a good thing.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I think firmware updates are pretty much the wave of the future, whether we like it or not. If the costs to produce games and such are skyrocketing, then it's in their best interest to get money first and then send out the patch later.

Personally I have zero problems with fw updates. Yes I still have a 1.5 PSP, and yes I have to twist in the wind a bit before I can play a new game on it, but in the end I have *yet* to be denied playing something I bought, regardless of it's firmware requirements. That's part of the fun IMO.

(I love it when people suggest buying something other than a PSP if you want to do emulation on it. I will *never* buy something just for emulation. I simply want to extend the usage of my PSP, from listening to mp3s, watching Looney Tunes, and playing Syphon Filter to playing Star League Baseball, Sonic 2, or Adventure...)
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis
    I originally was interested in the PSP for its emulation, but my friend (whom is a sony basher) said f psp and get a game park. I have seen the GP2X and I say that unit is the best means for emulation on the go.
    I've never played a GP2X but everything I've read shows that the PSP has more emulators and runs them better than the GP2X.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Don't firmware updates give pirates a chance to make their code better too? I'm only half-joking. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!