Thread: Transfer Files from Xbox to Xbox?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Transfer Files from Xbox to Xbox?

Blah Blah Blah I've searched for this topic several times Blah Blah Blah Couldn't find anything Blah Blah Blah Sorry if this is repeat topic Blah Blah Blah Sorry for being so stupid Blah Blah Blah

I have 4 xbox consoles now and I would like to transfer music/game save files from my old one to my brand new one. How do I go about doing so?

How do you connect your xbox to your PC? That question alone would probably solve everything.

Again, sorry for being so stupid , but any question I have ever needed has been found here at DP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the same problem, and as far as I can tell there is no easy way to do so. My original system has a bunch of saves on it that are too large to use the standard memory card for. (One game in particular is SW: KotoR.) Just recently I got a modified system to use for emulation that I would like to transfer the files to. The modified system is real easy to hook up to a PC and transfer files via ftp over the network. The original unmodified system doesn't have the same ability near as I can tell. Hopefully someone can let us know for sure. Anybody know if there are memory cards that are larger than the standard to handle extra large saves?

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin
    I have the same problem, and as far as I can tell there is no easy way to do so. My original system has a bunch of saves on it that are too large to use the standard memory card for. (One game in particular is SW: KotoR.) Just recently I got a modified system to use for emulation that I would like to transfer the files to. The modified system is real easy to hook up to a PC and transfer files via ftp over the network. The original unmodified system doesn't have the same ability near as I can tell. Hopefully someone can let us know for sure. Anybody know if there are memory cards that are larger than the standard to handle extra large saves?
    Actually the problem with numerous saves is that not only are they too big for a memory card, they are also bonded to that hard drive and you can't move em unless you've got a modded system. When my first one was dying I lost a buncha game saves including some small 'transferable' saves (like Lego Star Wars, Burnout 3 and Burnout Revenge) because of them bonding to the system.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Here's one method that works with unmodded Xboxes. If someone tries this, let me know if it really works!

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Mods/bet_..._is_bigger.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu
    Actually the problem with numerous saves is that not only are they too big for a memory card, they are also bonded to that hard drive and you can't move em unless you've got a modded system. When my first one was dying I lost a buncha game saves including some small 'transferable' saves (like Lego Star Wars, Burnout 3 and Burnout Revenge) because of them bonding to the system.
    I *hate* this. I bought a memory card yesterday specifically for this, assuming I'd be able to transfer my saves from system to system... and even after that, half the games I haven aren't even compatible for memory card use. Blah!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I tried to do something different. I went ahead and opened up my oldest(best game saves but won't read disks) and my second to newest (Not my best system but still works perfect). I swaped hard drives and tested. Both had Error 6 Send in your system for repairs. I kinda figured I ruined something, but I put the hard drives back in there orriginal systems and both booted up fine.

I guess I could just swap the CD drives and see if that works...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx
    Well, I tried to do something different. I went ahead and opened up my oldest(best game saves but won't read disks) and my second to newest (Not my best system but still works perfect). I swaped hard drives and tested. Both had Error 6 Send in your system for repairs. I kinda figured I ruined something, but I put the hard drives back in there orriginal systems and both booted up fine.

I guess I could just swap the CD drives and see if that works...
    The problem with switching hard drives is that each hard drive is locked to a particular xbox. So when you swap a hard drive into another xbox, that xbox doesn't have the unlock key to access the hard drive, hence error 06.

Getting a modchip would be the best way to get your saves. It gives you ftp access to your xbox and allows you to use xbox media center (my only use for the xbox). The chip should run $15 shipped and is fairly easy to install. You will also need some Torx bits to open up the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Getting a modchip would be the best way to get your saves. It gives you ftp access to your xbox and allows you to use xbox media center (my only use for the xbox). The chip should run $15 shipped and is fairly easy to install. You will also need some Torx bits to open up the system.
    The Torx bits arn't a problem as I have already opened the systems. I even bought the set that opens nes and snes systems and games.

What is the xbox media center?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Xbox media center lets you watch avi files on your xbox. I like to use it to watch anime. The divx dvd players cut off the subs on the bottom. The xbox allows you to adjust the settings so the subs dont get cut off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I'm not much into anime. I think I'm going to try to buy one of those controller to USB ports as mentioned up above.

Getting a modchip would be the best way to get your saves.
    As far a s modchip goes, what are the benefits? I mean I understand playing Pal and Jap games, but is this all? I don't collect imports which is why I've never bothered with the info. If I ever do collect imports, it would be for xbox and maybe dreamcast once I've gotten my US want list demolished (which won't happen for a few more years I can bet :/ )

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It runs emulators and such quite well. (nes, snes, mame...). You can swap in a bigger hard drive to store xbox games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It runs emulators and such quite well. (nes, snes, mame...). You can swap in a bigger hard drive to store xbox games.
    Do you have emulators on your xbox?

How much does an average game take up on a hard drive? I have a collection of 186 xbox games(one of these days I'll even play some of them ) and it would be wonderful to not have to swap out my more popular titles.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got the ones I listed installed. Old school X-Men and Simpsons are great party games. I've seen games range from 500 megs to 6 gigs. I would say it averages from 3-4 gigs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got the ones I listed installed. Old school X-Men and Simpsons are great party games. I've seen games range from 500 megs to 6 gigs. I would say it averages from 3-4 gigs.
    Sorry for a thousand and one questions, but which mod chip/hard drive combo would you suggest?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm using a DuoX2. It's cheap and it disables if you want to use Xbox Live. You can get it from Divineo.cn for $15 shipped. Any IDE hard drive will work (something not Serial ATA).

If you don't use Xbox Live, you can get away with not having to buy a modchip if you tsop flash or softmod your xbox.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing to note, there are some game saves that you will not be able to transfer via ANY method because the save file is locked to the serial number on your motherboard.

Lego Starwars, Ninja Gaiden (anything by team ninja really), and a few others.

Also, any content that was downloaded through live is locked to the motherboard as well... Even if you're able to transfer the files through FTP, they won't be recognized on the new system.

The best option for the situation you've described is to swap the DVD drives from the working system to the busted one.

If you were to copy all of the files from this xbox to new hard drive and mod the system all of your save files would still work and you could run emulators/homebrew...