Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    I will never download a "firmware update" for a console I own.
    Why not?
    Let me restate that. I will never purchase a console that requires a "firmware update" (yes this means I will never purchase a PS3). A videogame console should not need a firmware update. (now excuse me while I take out my dentures).
    I dont you have to download the firmware, unless the games require version x.xx firmware to run. The times where a console is a console is pretty much over. Before, all the consoles did was to play the game that was inserted, but todays console are more like a media center or a small PC. lol dentures

How is it with 360 and Wii btw? I set up Live on my sisters 360 2 days ago and i was asked to download some update 2-3 times. 2 times i did it, the last i skipped (didnt have time). If i didnt get these updates, wouldnt i be able to use Live properly then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Let me restate that. I will never purchase a console that requires a "firmware update" (yes this means I will never purchase a PS3).
    Or a Nintendo Wii or an Xbox 360 (both of which require firmware updates; yes even the holy Wii). Or a Sony PSP. Actually, it looks like you probably won't be buying any future systems as firmware updates are pretty much the norm at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Call me old fashioned, but I don't play games online. I don't ever hook my console up to internet. That means I'll never be able to download patches which means I’m knowingly buying a piece of junk right out of the box.

As far as the BC issues? I think BC is great! See, I don't mind having my little PSOne right next to my slimline PS2. How many people here actually have all three models of Genesis because your a collector? I've got mine! I don't have all three hooked up to my TV, but they look nice sitting on my shelves anyway.

I've slowly but surely come to the realization that if your worried about Space Constraints that you are in the wrong hobby. How many NES titles are there? I only have 300 and the shelf I have them on cannot hold one more cartridge without tape.

Now that everybody is going to PS3, I will be in hog heaven buying everybody’s PS2 junk for $3-$4 a console just like I did with the PSx. I have 12 of the original PS gray models and 4 of the PSOne models. I have found people just giving this stuff away because their PS2 was BC. Fine by me!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No Guitar Hero Controller? Nice Job Sony.
    #vbender

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    I will never download a "firmware update" for a console I own.
    That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I suppose you never got around to downloading Windows Service Pack 2 either?
    nah, he never upgraded to 95...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Let me restate that. I will never purchase a console that requires a "firmware update" (yes this means I will never purchase a PS3).
    Or a Nintendo Wii or an Xbox 360 (both of which require firmware updates; yes even the holy Wii). Or a Sony PSP. Actually, it looks like you probably won't be buying any future systems as firmware updates are pretty much the norm at this point.
    I was going to buy a Wii Sunday. I will investigate this but if it's true that it requires an internet connection for full functionality I will NOT buy one. Maybe you younger folks are accustomed to getting jerked around with all these "updates" but I have better things to do than "fix" something that should have been 100% functional the first time I bought it. No sale. And if this means no more consoles for me, that's that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was going to buy a Wii Sunday. I will investigate this but if it's true that it requires an internet connection for full functionality I will NOT buy one. Maybe you younger folks are accustomed to getting jerked around with all these "updates" but I have better things to do than "fix" something that should have been 100% functional the first time I bought it. No sale. And if this means no more consoles for me, that's that.
    I agree with you 100%. I became a strict console gamer to bypass PC BS. It sucks but that's the world we play in.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    I agree with you 100%. I became a strict console gamer to bypass PC BS. It sucks but that's the world we play in.
    Count me in as well...

All these updates\patches are doing is allowing developers\manufacturers to make (even more) half-assed products, since now they can just put out a patch some time down the track, and fix all the bugs that shouldn't have been there in the first place. Also, don't forget that you usually need to *pay* (one way or another) for these updates, in order to end up with the final, fully functional product you already payed full price for when you picked it up from the store...

It's indeed a sad reality, but right now new consoles = extremely bad value for money (with the Wii being a possible exception). Gamer's are getting less for their dollars than ever before, and I find it greatly discouraging that most of us not only tolerate it, but accept it with a smile altogether :/

Consoles should've never went online. Case closed.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Magus
    All these updates\patches are doing is allowing developers\manufacturers to make (even more) half-assed products, since now they can just put out a patch some time down the track, and fix all the bugs that shouldn't have been there in the first place.
    This is not the case. Upgrading the firmware will not fix a gamebug in <insert game here>. Patching a console game is yet to be done, but its not unrealistic that it will happend in the future. But for now, patching the games is not whats happening, its the console's firmware only.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All these updates\patches are doing is allowing developers\manufacturers to make (even more) half-assed products, since now they can just put out a patch some time down the track, and fix all the bugs that shouldn't have been there in the first place.
    This is not the case. Upgrading the firmware will not fix a gamebug in <insert game here>. Patching a console game is yet to be done, but its not unrealistic that it will happend in the future. But for now, patching the games is not whats happening, its the console's firmware only.
    Game patching is done for xbox b/c on the 360. Not all the games work so once in a while ms will release a patch that makes a few more original xbox games work on the 360. Updating the console's firmware isnt much better anyway. The console should be 99.99999% (rule of 5) bug free and reliable when it is released. Giving the option of future updates only gives them room for sloppiness. I got tired of updating the PSP on a monthly basis so I sold that sucker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was under the impression that a few 360 titles were patched already and that some consider the Hurricane pack for Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) to be a sort of patch.

Anyone care to chime in?
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55
    Game patching is done for xbox b/c on the 360. Not all the games work so once in a while ms will release a patch that makes a few more original xbox games work on the 360. Updating the console's firmware isnt much better anyway. The console should be 99.99999% (rule of 5) bug free and reliable when it is released. Giving the option of future updates only gives them room for sloppiness. I got tired of updating the PSP on a monthly basis so I sold that sucker.
    Ok, but i ment more like a real update to fix in-game bugs. If a patch gets released so <xbox game> will work on a 360, it doesnt fix any bugs in the xbox game. I shouldnt say with 100% accuarcy that patching console games havnt been done yet, but its far from a normal thing to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just as a quick example that this is unfortunately becoming the norm with games as well, here is a link from kotaku talking about how Epic is already working on a patch for (just released!!) Gears of War: http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/gears-o...-on-214370.php

And if memory serves me correctly, I think Dead Rising also received a patch sometime down the track...?

But you're right, it's not really that popular in the console world yet. However, if PC games are anything to go by, soon there will be few if any games that will work 100% without needing the mandatory patch\update :/

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And i also agree that a console should be checked very carefully for bugs and faults before getting released, same goes for games. But these things are made by humans and all humans makes mistakes, its inevitable. The stuff also gets more advance and complicated, which leaves more room open for errors to be made.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lord_Magus: Ok, i stand corrected No big suprise that they patched a console game tho, it had to happend sooner or later, but i hope it wont be something that all games will have, or alot like PC games have. Todays consoles are more like a PC i would say. So many features, not like the old ones where you could only play the games.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And just wait until you have to register the game you just paid for online before you can play it.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler

ZOMG IS TEH 360 ALLS OVER AGAIN?!?!?!?!
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate to break it to you, but it looks like you're done buying consoles. The days of a standalone packaged product are over. All forms of console gaming will have online connectivity as an integral feature, and this is a GOOD thing.

Firmware updates are also a GOOD thing, as they allow consoles to grow and change over time. Think if you could download a DS firmware update that suddenly let you use Pictochat over the internet via Wifi instead of just locally?

Downloadable content is the future, and it's a good thing. I don't necessarily support online distribution of actual games, but the ability to download new levels, content, & features can't be labeled as anything but an improvement.

Want me to call a cab to take you to the old folks home?

(btw, I'm probably not much younger than you are)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx
    Call me old fashioned, but I don't play games online. I don't ever hook my console up to internet. That means I'll never be able to download patches which means I’m knowingly buying a piece of junk right out of the box.
    I'm like this too. The increasing trend of patches for console games and firmware updates is a little disheartening.